A couple questions

How badly is acceleration affected in a woodgas pickup?

I see you set the land speed record at 73mph in 1 mile. It appears you were basically idling away from the start line.

What would a Dakota running on gas do it in?

Also, has the issue with freezing condensation in the cooling pipes been addressed?

I just bought your book Wayne and can’t wait to read it.

1 Like

I can answer this one. Mr Wayne might not be experienced enough :wink: (with freezing that is)
With my setups I’ve had my cooler pipes either sloping or vertical, but even if you build them horisontally it would take low spots for ice to do any harm.
To be able to melt ice in the condensation tank it can be favorable to have the woodgas routed into it, prior to the cooling rails.

5 Likes

Good morning Barry .

One has to set in line for 30 min or so and starting off with cold gasifier .

I think the best one can hope for is a loss of about 30% power with wood gas compared to gasoline. Having the vehicle set up to hybrid ( mix in gasoline ) you can still go as fast as you want.

With the dakotas 85 mph on flat road is about all they will do . They seem to do very well 60-70 mph on the open roads .

Usualy the 3/4 ton trucks will run 50-60 mph on the road . This is the last gasifier I built . 96 dodge ram 2500 4x4 8L . It seems to do very well at 70 mph on the flat road.

The below is a 360 degree video that Koen made at Argos last year . In the upper left hand you can control the camera to see whatever . I like to watch the smile on Koen face .

8 Likes

I’m just new to gasification. I’m very excited to build one to run my 07 F150.

But what do you do when you get to your destination and shut the truck off?

It would build up pressure would it not?

And if you open something to let the smoke out wouldn’t someone call the fire department?

Hope someone can explain.

3 Likes

Welcome there are some very knowledgeable people here who can definitely help you along your journey into the land of gasification. I did a quick search for shutting down and found this thread you will find helpful.

2 Likes

That was great info. Thank you

I did a search before I posted and that thread did not come up. Go figure.

3 Likes

Welcome Barry to the drive on wood site .

Here is a video from several years back .

6 Likes

Ok so you go to the coffee shop. Do the shutdown procedure as in the video.

Do you have to reignite the fire before you can switch back to wood? Or does it maintain enough coals to fire back up when air and the blower fan are applied.

1 Like

PS. I can’t tell you how excited I am about this.

5 Likes

Hello Barry .

The lenght of time before relighting will depend on what type of wood and how dry it is. With dry oak I can expect the truck to start up without a relight up to about 5 hours . ( if it has been brought up to good operating temp )

Wayne

6 Likes

Haha,
Barry, I’m smiling ear to ear and I think we are several people on this site doing that because we know that feeling so well.
3 years ago I doubted it would be possible for me to do my every day driving on wood. Almost 20,000 miles later I know it is possible.
Just be aware it’ll take you more time handling maintence on the system and wood prepping than you will be able to spend behind the wheel.

9 Likes

Hello Barry .

You were asking about shutting down so while out running around this morning I videoed a short clip for you .

3 Likes

Thank you so much Wayne!

So I bought your book yesterday. How do I get onto the premium forum? Do I have to wait for the book to arrive?

1 Like

@Chris will get you access to the premium content. It might take him a few days he works fulltime and just got the new name of Daddy so he is probably pretty busy and tired right now. :wink:

2 Likes

Great thanks.

I really only want to start lining up supplies and materials. I work away from home so cant start the actual build for a few weeks.

Thanks again.

2 Likes

Here is some good reading from Chris .

http://www.driveonwood.com/library/woodgas-donor-vehicle/

2 Likes

Thanks Wayne, I have already read that information and it all makes sense.

My donor vehicle is a 2007 Ford F-150 King Ranch four-wheel drive with a 5.4 l V8

I plan on installing a lift kit and larger tires and also steeper gears to help with low end power while on wood gas.

This will be an around town truck and a Woods truck going back to my camp.

I’m also aware of the OBD2 challenges involved but have a good friend with a Dyno and computer programmer that I am sure we can overcome the challenges with a computer programmer similar to the E85 conversion programmers that can change the computer parameters with the flip of a switch.

The main problem I see so far following Gary 04 Ranger build is the long-term storage of operating parameters in the ECM after the vehicle is running in a lean condition from the woodgas.

I have every intention of cracking the OBD2 challenges and opening up the field for additional donor vehicles.

This is all I will think about for the next 3 weeks it will read every article I can find and video I can watch.

If you have any more recommendations please feel free to make them as I am like a sponge absorbing this information

Thanks, Barry

3 Likes

Welcome Barry, I am running a 98 Ranger 2.5 OBD2 on wood. I think I have about 2000 miles on wood with good results. It does take a little while for the timing to return to normal for gasoline.

2 Likes

Thanks Al, and you’ve had to make no changes to your factory fuel injection system?

Could I see some pictures and some details?

1 Like

No changes other than putting a pwm to operate the fuel pump. This is my build thread; http://forum.driveonwood.com/t/wood-gas-a-98-ranger-questions/3334/154

4 Likes