A Few modifications I would like input on please

Yes Kevin I can weld thin metal so I could make the outside shell of a gasifier any size I want.

I was thinking 12 in long and 16 in in diameter

1 Like

Yes. Link-patch error on my part. Fixed now. They work now.
Thanks for CalvinRā€™s info GarryT.
The old grey brain cells just ainā€™t what they usedā€™ta be.

BarryB,
TerryL. loves to talk Friday nights on the DOW ā€œFriday Hangoutsā€ live-chat topic line you can find in the topic menu below. MaxG did too.
S.U.

5 Likes

I wont talk too much more on sizeing, when you get the book you can go from there, just wanted too add a few tips from my own mistakes. I think weight is the hardest thing too manage on building with steel, how those altra light plane builders can manage 250 pound air plane weight and still hold a motor too the light aluminum frames is beond me.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve been watching the construction videos and it seems the Dakota gasifier is 4 feet from one end to the other so Iā€™m pretty sure I can work with that dropping it down through the floor of the bed.

Seems I was getting all worked up for nothing.

2 Likes

Ha ha Kevin, I remember weighing Wayneā€™s first generation fire tube build that is in the book. And then weighing my new version that is being built now. My was 75 pounds heavier then the older version that I pulled out of the truck.
But it is built to last a long time.
Bob

2 Likes

Anybody thought of, or tried, propane as a power booster? Instead of running hybrid with Gasoline you could set up direct injection into the air intake?

My experience is with nitrous oxide. Flip a switch and it sprays a jetted and controlled amount of gas until turned off.

My mustang had a micro momentary switch which when the system was armed would activate the nitrous only under full throttle.

Gasoline is over $5.30 a gallon in Canada and over 6 in some places.

I can fill a propane tank for 11 bucks and can exchange the tank at any gas station.

I pull a 22ft boat and would need additional power in some of the hills around here.

Hope Im not bothering you guys with my posts.

4 Likes

Hi Barry, sure, it wuld be possible. Problem is metering. With petrol hybriding (depending on the engine system) the o2 sensor and cars computer preety much takes care of it. With propane metering is entirely up to operator.

2 Likes

Thats how its done with the woodgas anyway correct?

Unless you have an arduino making the ratio calculations and adjusting for you.

1 Like

Something like this. As soon as you spray propane it will adjust the air mixture.

3 Likes

My tutorial to build this very system is here:

2 Likes

I knew you were on here!

Am I correct in my thinking Matt? If you add propane during heavy load situations this air mix system would compensate?

2 Likes

Yes if you did it slowly .it is not very fast as to compensating abrupt changes. So you would have to meter in the gas slowly.

2 Likes

Iā€™m also thinking my piping would be bigger for a V8 truck?

Can it be set to sample every second instead of every 3 seconds?

1 Like

I could have 3 very small propane jets and have them come on in sequence to ramp up the propane.

1 Like

Indeed you will have to build according to your application.

The mixer controller runs in milliseconds not seconds. The reason it is tuned to act slowly is so it dont over shoot, If it moves to fast and overshoots it will go into a hunt mode.

The code also is not static, if the O2 signal is on the outer side of the parameters the delay is nearly zero between movements. When the signal is closer to the happy zone the code increases that delay upto 400 milliseconds. You can tune this the way you want as well. You can increase the mapping for both directions.

1 Like

Hi Bob ya when i build my next heat exchanger i think it will be about as thick as fuel oil drum steel about 16 gauge. though the other steels may be a little lighter if posible, the outer drum might be barrel steel lighter than water heaters, gota sourse some 30 gallon barrels first or find some thinn ss at salvage yard Dollar a pound. Maybe some ss 22 gauge or thiner for around the burn tube would be heat resistant will a little paint for reminders. i liked the big heat exchanger i built for good steady performace after about 5 minuts of driveing, though my other steels were 1/8 " thick so the weight adds up. it a battle for sure between weight and heat devideing.

5 Likes