A mystery build

Koen, much like Tom Reed’s TLUD but super charged. He claimed that the gas from a TLUD was engine grade. One of his grandson’s, or what ever relative, had a patent and was going to sell small generators fueled by a TLUD.

1 Like

I’m in the same camp, little expertise in the field. I find it interesting that Android systems seem to piggyback onto the Duck Duck Go, funneling it through Google, for monitoring/ data mining it seems. My phone removed Duck Duck Go recently. Interesting.

But for practical searching Google is becoming a liability, sort of like going to the library looking for information, and having to battle the librarian.

1 Like

http://gasifiers.bioenergylists.org/beloniorhgashand

I found this link this morning, it might merit study, the description is that it produces near engine grade gas from a TLUD that can be piped and cooled. Should be usable with sawdust or pellets, perhaps woodchips with design changes.

Hi, Garry!

An abrupt question: What gasification use does these kitchen gasifiers fulfill in woodgas driving?

Making them continuously fed asks for a lot of extra mechanics, or what?

It is just a principal question, but feeding complications has never had any “longing” among woodgas drivers…

2 Likes

I could see an application for stationary use for small engines which is an interest of many members. For such use longer running can be achieved by a taller fuel column, or greater power output by varying diameter. Such designs will be limited within very specific power ranges, which would possibly fit a generator / small engine. (Lawnmower?)…

Also, it is the efficient updraft combustion comparison which caused me to post, I could envision an up angle auger feed for continuous use, etc.

1 Like

Hi, Garry!

I will be looking for new ideas on your page…

3 Likes

If looking on the internet, using the search words “under feed gasifier”, a lot of nice info pop’s up…

3 Likes

making progress, fitting , welding… and a lot of thinking

8 Likes

sized and welded, next step the air intakes

6 Likes

First use for this gasifier, but then in upscaled version:

4 Likes

Fuel did not pass the curved elbow… the pellets did, but i want more…
Plan B: T - piece with 2 augers…

4 Likes

This is where the big version have to end up…

10 Likes

Hi Koen

I try to understand !

to feed a gasifier from below, makes it possible to better control the flow of pyroligous gas?

by preheating the wood upstream of the oxidation zone do we not lose the advantage of controlling the flow of pyrolytic gases?

1 Like

excellent KVL…Thanks for the effort you put into sharing, I know it takes some time to do…It’s appreciated
Who’s that in all the pics?

4 Likes

KVL when you wife is smiling she must be happy with the design direction.
She smiles a lot on this small system mystery build. ( The BIG systems not-so-much smiling?)
Regards
tree-farmer Steve Unruh

2 Likes

Hi Thierry,

The top layer envised , is the actual glowing charcoal layer.
The gasses will exit at high temperatures and, in this case , ignited for the heating of the boiler…

If you take a sketch / drawing of a normal gasifier, with the grate and gas exit at the bottom, then turn that upwards-downwards, take away the grate and there is this build…
The ashes will be conveyed with the gas-stream into the boiler and end up in the foreseen ash collectors.

In case of a gasifier only, then the ashes will be collected in a special cyclone…

3 Likes

Hi Billy,

The girl in the picture is the love of my live aka wife, aka co engineer

5 Likes

Hi Steve,

Yes, she smiles a lot and she is also aware about the challenges with the big ones… ( big takes more time before can build, run / smile )

She enjoys every bit of it…

last week i was out of the country for visa purposes and visiting her family. And she did get a wonderful idea what we are now turning into reality:

The late King of Thailand was a Tree - lover and never stopped preaching about doing good for nature. Now in memory of his live, we start a funding project for the future education of Thailand.
From now on, we fund the local kindergarten and basic school with the project: 1 kid, 1 year, 1 bamboo plant, to learn to grow and to take care. Building a bamboo planting nursery at the kindergarten and anual planting on fields provided by the state government.
In memory of the belated King and as a teaching project for the youngsters…

Moto of the King: 1 Rai is sufficient to provide for 1 family ( 1 Rai = 0,4 acres ) as for food gardening and more…

So wifey and i, follow his lead, we educate for free and fund the plants.
In the hope many follow in this idea…

8 Likes

Can I like this more than once? That is something lacking in my part of the world.

5 Likes

Question #1…Plan C? vertical auger…see drawing.

Question #2…What is green lines in the picture?

Question#3…Why cut holes in bottom of the main vessel for ash ports front & rear? Can you put the ash ports in the doors front & rear? [doors are easier to modify repeatedly, without modification to the main vessel]

Question#4…Ash will collect upon inner coil and clog, there must be space between the coils to allow ash to fall thru, by gravity & air flow. Operator will use long scraper to drag ashes toward ash clean out?

As compared to an ‘oil burner’ the gasifier is at best 66% of the BTU of oil, …so…should you have an additional gasifier/auger/burner on the other end of the main vessel?..you were asking for more with Plan B, twin augers.

I have redrawn your picture, only to show my suggestions, and I hope not to change your strategy, we all know your team’s ability & direction is excellent.

oliver

1 Like