A second. Cyclone / ceramic blanket/ heated hopper test results rig

hey kevin my tube had started to fail so I just cut the tube out with all the fins attached my next layer was a propane tank I left that and installed the blanket and rerouted the air flow for the nozels so I did use the original minus the center my ceramic is 1 in and I haven’t seen any problems. when I cut out the center tube that left a overhang and I believe that’s why my tube don’t have a crusty tar buildup on it where the heat is it stays clean where the ash builds up down lower the black soot is seen . I have just black pipe fittings on my tube tips and they show no ware they only stick out past the ceramic .5 in .

2 Likes

Ok thanks paul i gess i am in the ball park, i shortened this tube a bit as its over twice as small on the engine size as the dakota v8, and hopeing half the weight or less when done, see if i can add an overhang. I am still going too add a good size Wayne Keith heat exchanger, not sure how i will go with hopper condence. Geting this gereral idea working first. Keeping pics low too let the beginners get the book with all the excellent and best learning INFO.

1 Like

that one change reduces a lot of weight. I think my tube with fins and heat sinks weighed in around 100+ lbs

1 Like

I know what you mean on weight it adds up too quick, my burn tube and heat exchanger with the shieilds weight is over 300 after hearing you and dustin saying its going too melt on my old 350 chevy,i went over kill on the heat recovers and sheild plates not thinking it would be that heavy. So it takes a while too warm up, if i can keep it oiled once and while it should last, and it should hold up on a long trip if needed. The old 350 carb truck dose ok on the back roads, i hauled a 3000 pound toltal load too scrap yard,itwas slow getting up too speed but it will work for back road hauling.This new. Cooker is for a small truck, trying too keep all systom finish around 450 pounds. They claim the blankets save on heat loss and fuel use on the forges.

1 Like

you will like it kevin I haven’t seen a single down side yet . it starts just as fast I think that it is not wasting energy heating the tube it sure would be cool to have a camera in there.

1 Like

Thanks Paul on the info for useing ceramic blanket.How is the doser chunker working out, i ran in too your utube vidio looking for chunker ideas.i have and old case trencher with about a 8 or 10 foot trenching boom. i could save for chunking either the track axel or the trench parts mechanical converted.

1 Like

I couldn’t keep a sharp blade and was getting a lot of shredded material and the truck didn’t like so I gave up on that one now I lust use my wood splitter with a couple different attachments this has been working good for me.

1 Like

Thanks Paul that is one thing i was woundering, how bad are the chunkers sheading the wood.was the shreading causeing bridging or just too small of wood pieces. I May try a. Slicer chunker more like patric johnson. After i make a reducton too go with my f350 truck axel. Anything will serpass useing a 10 amp table saw it it is heavy enough too brake the wood.

1 Like

all the above for me if you run green fresh wood it was a lot better I see a few people having good luck with wayns design I just have better luck with blockier chunks if that’s a word .

1 Like

Long as its not as slow and lould as a table saw, were rolling Thanks.

1 Like

it goes pretty fast if you found my other video I have the splitter videos up too

1 Like

I could not find your splitter vidio, though i have QUESTION on your ceramic blanket tube, was the contest at argoes done with the lightened up tube or the standard heat exchanger fire tube by WK. You were idleing quit a long time.

1 Like

orgoes was with the blanket . here is a couple of videos one for branches and one for cookies

1 Like

Nice add on’s too the splitter that sure beats sawing and axeing the sliced wood. Was the blanket on your lightened up propane tank burn tube while idleing at the argos contest. Thanks again.

1 Like

yes kevin that was with the blanket and there and back I was pushing 70 slower up hill faster down no dino until wood would run out and I could find a place to stop the thruway was a pain.

1 Like

Thanks paul are you getting much better miles per pound on the dakota, i mostly plan on useing my small 4cyl truck for 20 too 30 mile runs so probly wont need refueling till back home, if i hitt a few bump after leaving too get back home, see what the wood gas gauge says.SWEM

1 Like

I was at a solid 2lbs per mile I lightened the whole truck up a lot and would like to do more now I get closer to 1,25 -1.5 pounds to the mile. I would love to see 1 to 1.that would make my back feel better I’m sure your 4cyl will be at or below with no problems .

1 Like

Hi Max i heard you saying good things about heated hoppers, and explaining well the varriables, Thanks ,just woundered if you are useing heated hopper on your rig, or how long had used them, either way i am fit too try your paper filter post cooling rack asap. Heated mantel, Thanks. pS and i like matts idea of several small cyclones up near the air cleaner as far as i can tell, though i think he is useing a scrubby type filter like old tractors, after mixing in the air at pre. mini cyclones,?

1 Like

Hi, Kevin!
Yes, 10 years on the Audi. Imbert-mantel around the silo.

Once again, whole the row on a new build:

Cyclone, hot filter (mineral canvas or SS micro-mesh), cooler,
wet open-cell matress flat coffin, reheater, warm bucket paperfilter.

1 Like

Ok thanks Max, what kind of condence hopper are you useing may i ask. I dont see any cooling tubes at top of hopper. That extra steem from heated hopper has too be going out some place other than the coals in the hearth.?Thanks.

1 Like