A thread for motorized bicycles

There was a guy on here a few years ago who intended to do a motorbike sidecar thing.

Francois Pal posted pics of WWII gasified bikes I believe. Kristijan helped a neighbour do a vintage looking bike conversion too, if I’m not mistaken.

But these projects have all been one off. If there was anything standard, it would probably be from WWII Europe.

1 Like

Tyler: No “kit” available, I built this from scratch. But the gasifier itself is real simple. The rest is plumbing. It’s a Simple-Fire, after all! You can find plans on this site, I believe. I once retyped them for Gary Gilmore.
Hint: I found that kitchen sink drain pipe works really well for the inlet piping.
Hint: Leave the woodgas wide open, adjust the mixture with the air, your throttle remains in the carb/handgrip.
I would love to have had a Ural’s sidecar to convert, but had this XR100 on hand. Not a very practical conversion, but was fun. Like a circus clown on a tiny bicycle. Yes, a Ural et al would be great.
Consumption: It’s in that link Bruce sent, but it’s 2.6 lb/hr, or 3.25 gal/hr with 1.25 lb/gallon Menke hardwood charcoal. The bike gets about 10 mi/lb, or 12.5 mi/gallon of Menke charcoal.
About a 2 hr runtime, maintaining like 4" minimum charcoal above the nozzle (for insulation, and before the vessel gets too hot). About 50 miles at 25 mph.
Top speed: uphill or downhill? See the MP’s Motofier YouTube. About half horsepower, I believe. Would be more if I could adjust the timing.
Scale up? Maybe a one inch nozzle but otherwise the same basic design, and just use a taller vessel for more charcoal capacity, like one of Gary’s grease drums.

4 Likes

Tyler, I would suggest building a tensioner mount that attaches in two places…like on both the lower and upper frame rails. Maybe an arch or a square U-shaped bracket that could then hold the tensioner roller/gear. That would eliminate your “twisting” problem I think. It might add a pound or two to total weight, but would likely be worth it if it keeps you from crashing another wheel.

looking good. Welcome to the community. Billy North

2 Likes

I have considered that a little, and I haven’t gotten to buying parts I need for it. I definitely will get one eventually. Thanks, Tyler.

1 Like

Tyler; When my shop burned up I just through all the tools in my chest into buckets. I spent some time today looking through them for my chain breaker. No luck. Since you have taken the crank off your bike and only have one chain to contend with, I don’t know why you aren’t breaking the chain and taking out how ever long a section you need to to get the chain to fit tight. If the mouth of the slot the rear axle fits into is facing the front, you start with the tight chain right at the mouth and you will be able to tighten the chain as it stretches, towards the back of the bike. The opposite is true if the mouth of the slot faces the back of the bike. The axle starts out tight where the slot ends towards the front and again as the chain stretches, you move it towards the back.TomC
PS Are you old enough to ride a motorized bike and don’t you need a license plate on it. My personal opinion here is; if you want to get into woodgas, get a riding lawn mower and convert it to woodgas. Several of the older fellows all start with riding lawn mowers. You will learn a lot, and your folks might be happy that you will volunteer to mow the yard while making trial runs with you "gasifiera’

1 Like

The slot is at an angle, too awkward of an angle for it to practically make much difference in the slack of the chain. If I could I would provide pictures but I am as of now in Kentucky for my brothers baseball tournament. Here is a picture of what is ideal for my setup, but what I have is in the picture below:

This is what I have: 31D47F5A-4CDE-467C-94D4-B450F4D959A4

Thanks, tyler

1 Like

Oh and what style gasifier should I use for a lawn mower? I am going to purchase Wayne’s book soon enough, and I think it was Bill Schiller that had a mini wk gasifier? Correct me if I’m wrong.

1 Like

Yes, I built a mini WK with a 6" fire tube. I used it for a 15 hp Kohler which is about 450cc. I haven’t tried any engine bigger or smaller for the gasifier but I imagine I have some room to go bigger or smaller.

1 Like

Ok, I was also thinking if I have it built, I could use it for multiple things like a lawn mower or generator.

1 Like

Main thing now is get the book with membership and a welder. I just got to get a nicer welder so I can focus more on the gasifiers and not troubleshooting welder problems. I was thinking a titanium 170 amp 120/240 volt mig welder.

I have a cheap solution, for 20 dollars you can purchase this arch tensioner that does not rely on one circular bar to keep it in place. It is made for cruiser bikes with the 66cc motor on it, so I think I will just purchase something like this

4 Likes

FACT CHECK TIME!!! First off, this group is made up of DIY ( Do It Yourself ) people. You DON’T have a gasifier built. YOU build it. We think through problems and build the solution. (Even if that tensioner is only $19 we would build it ourselves-- maybe with improvements). Don’t have the tools or a machine shop. It is a good time to start collecting tools. I see that tensioner being built with a saber saw with a metal blade and a hand drill. Sure it will take time and may not be as fancy as the one you can purchase, but YOU made it and most of all you learned doing it.
Welding and welders; I’ve been welding (as a hobby) for 50 years or more and I still worry about making “good” welds. There are many many people on here who do “good” welds but I honestly only know of one person who when you look at his welds, you think; what a work of art. Better than just “good”. I come from the old school where everyone started out with oxy/act welding. The advent of the MIG welder has changed that some, but if you can take a course at school or junior college in oxy/act welding it is still good basic welding knowledge to have.
Mr Wayne’s book-- it is just filled with information, mostly pertaining to gasifiers for vehicles or larger generators. For you as a beginner in WG, I suggest you spend a lot of time in the library of DOW. Learn the different types of gasifier and where they have been used. For a beginner I believe everyone on here would recommend you start out with a charcoal Simplifier design and a 4 stroke engine. Get the feel, sound, and excitement of running and engine withOUT petroleum. A PLUS would be if you can ride in/on it. A generator or other utility, such as log splitter, etc, is good if you have a use for the utility.
This will be my last lecture unless you have specific question. ( I’m sure the other guys know already what I am saying and may have opinions, but get tired of hearing me type on and on and on) TomC

4 Likes

In my current position, I am unable to collect a lot of tools and such, but I still have some availability as far as garage space. I will read a lot, and see if I am able to build something soon. Thanks, Tyler.

2 Likes

Tyler
One thing to remember about tools. They don’t have to be new and you don’t have to pay cash for them. Barter, trade,mow the lawn for them. If the word gets out in certain circles I’m sure graduation gifts might be tools or gift certificate to a hardware store :blush:.
I received a socket set for my 16th birthday still use it on a almost daily basis. I will be 66 next year. First car they touched was a 61 Chrysler neuport. Typewriter tranny. Worked in the hay field all summer for that car.:cold_sweat::cold_sweat:

5 Likes

Yes, I inherited a good bit of tools from my grandpa that has passed, on all tools that were able to be engraved, he engraved his name into all of them. All of his wrenches that have his name on I have kept and they will be kept for as long as I can!

6 Likes

To echo Tom, there is a lot to be said for challenging metal working projects. And all sorts of other projects. Sitting and thinking doesn’t nearly push the envelope of skills like getting elbows deep into a project (that you aren’t positive you can finish)… :grinning:

I expect it takes me about 3 different tries to get things about right the first time. I also have learned that to get good results the first time takes about 3 times more effort than a pro would put in.

The bottom line in all pursuits is don’t settle for poor results. There are piles of people who do, and then pay the consequences over and over. The typical weekend warrior, home handyman. Who do a half competent job of wiring in their homes, etc, etc.!

It is amazing the skills a person can build applying brains and physical abilities. Even just welding on a project, from the start to the finish, it gets easier, and better. Most everything is about working smart, not hard, and keeping a critical eye for the acceptable results.

6 Likes

I was going to buy a Tesla, but then it came to me I build gasifiers for a living!!! Haha!! So Im considering the next best thing, and getting an Ebike. This thing looks pretty cool and for what it can do its a good deal. Ive been following E Bikes for a few years now and a bike with this power generally go for at least $1500.00 This thing is $800.00 bucks. You could not even come close to this DIY; way better off just shelling out the cash for it. Might be a bit as I will need to save my pennies up :slight_smile:

1 Like

That bike is no joke, I normally look at those and think how funny they look with their tiny wheels and tall seated rider. I can’t really imagine going speeds my motorized bike can hit without any noise or vibration, and even when I think of it, most small problems I have to deal with. And 800 dollars is not too much for something that could be used for a lot of urban transportation.

2 Likes

Hi Martin, My very first engine run on woodgas started with a fuel air mixture chase
that exasperation finally led me to just that procedure. Keep the gas valve full open
and fiddle with the air. Whew!

1 Like

Hey Mat
I have been looking at the RadRover ebike it’s twice the price but i think it might be twice the bike.

2 Likes