ADAPTech Projects

excellent work as always Jakob!

9 Likes

What Marcus said !!!

10 Likes

Jake, you make it look easy! Hard to make it more compact thain this!

10 Likes

So you decided to bore out some bar stock? Good idea, good thermal mass on those.

7 Likes

yes it was pieces of a cv axle. they are just under high carbon rating. I hope it holds up.

10 Likes

I was able to get a ways on the drive system yesterday.

KIMG0500

Today I went to work at the barn shop. I was able to get this one framed today 12x32.
KIMG0494

KIMG0495

Here are a few others i built the past few weeks
KIMG0496

KIMG0497
KIMG0498
KIMG0499

21 Likes

Great job on that flex drive, lots cheaper than a lovejoy connector. I never thought of using a tire for that. I will have to remember that one for future projects.

Garry c.

13 Likes

I went back a ways and never did find out what you are going to use the engine for and I don’t remember anything about building those small barns. I hope I’m not getting that oldtimers disease. Anyway the framing is a thing of beauty.

10 Likes

the Engine is for a boat. I am trying to copy the basic drive system design that they use to power the dug out canoe’s in the Amazon rainforest. There is a group of missionaries in Columbia that have access to these canoe’s but gasoline is practically un available. I am building this to run on charcoal to prove it will work, so I can present it to the mission organization so possibly it can go to the field and be implemented.

The barns is what I do part time for $.
I work for a few days a week for one of the brothers in our church building those barns.

15 Likes

Sorry for not updating more here is the latest update.
I had a 6.5 hp engine on it initially when we took it to the lake the first time it failed. wasn’t enough horse power to move it. also it was a pull start. I have now upgraded to the 13 hp engine that was on my charcoal powered tractor.

I am still struggling to get the 13 hp engine started although we did get it going today finally.
Here is a video of the 6.5 running. Hopefully tomorrow we will take it to the lake and see if she floats.

15 Likes

Jake at the angle you are running theses engines at have you been disconnecting the low oil shut down sensors, yes?
Regards
Steve Unruh

8 Likes

Hi Jacob,

Not sure if you have researched these much but may have to go with a larger prop with less pitch. They are not really efficient motors anyways just cheap to manufacture and easy to control the draft and steer. Also the boat that you are putting it on is likely shorter and wider than the long narrow indigenous ones and thus harder to drive.

3 Likes

No i actually haven’t needed to. I thought i would have to but it works like it is.

2 Likes

Yeah I just used what I could find laying around.
I want to build a dug out canoe. much longer and similar to the original but this should work for what I am trying to prove.

I am trying to upload a video. we took it to the lake today and It worked.

I would say we traveled about 8 mph if I had to guess. I am really glad I upgraded to the 420 cc engine I am pretty sure the other would never have been able to push the boat. It still needs some work. I will try to upload a video when I can.

10 Likes

Google FAO fishing boats.
Plans for easily driven long narrow boats of various sizes. Lumber or plywood and designed to be amateur built. All complete and free.

6 Likes
19 Likes

I just want you to know you do not need to go that fast when trolling for Walleye. A 1/8th of that speed would be just right. Congrads. well done. That boat scoots right along.
Bob

8 Likes
19 Likes

That johnboat is really going at a good clip, looks like 5 knots give or take.

8 Likes

Good Morning Jakob .

Job well done :grinning:

13 Likes