ADAPTech Projects

Thanks guys. sorry I will try to get pictures when I get a chance I’m running as hard as I can right now.

9 Likes

Jakob, a workmate of mine claims he always starts the day full speed and then keeps accellerating all day long :smile:

11 Likes

Maybe you still remember the skier Janice Kostelić and her brother Ivica Kostelić, both were top skiers, their coach was their father Ante, journalists once asked him “why his daughter doesn’t warm up before the race, like the other skiers” and she said “does the rabbit warm up sooner when the fox surprises him in his sleep?” :grin:

10 Likes

Jakob, I like to use small nozzles, so that the air speeds are slightly higher, so the air penetrates deeper into the fuel, the area becomes more turbulent, the gases mix more, when I tested a charcoal gasifier with one nozzle, it was 8 mm in diameter and it produced gas for a 470 cc engine, personally, if I were you, I would use 4 nozzles with a maximum diameter of 5 mm, but 8 mm will also work. Regarding the grate, I would try the way Giorgio used, which is side ash removal, he reports that it works well without clogging, well, he describes a similarity to my upright pipe grate. Ok, I’m not going to promote the middle nozzle with the side holes below, but this works phenomenally, at least in my case. :grin:

14 Likes

Sorry it has taken so long for pictures and videos, I have been having file transfer issues from the camera.
these picture may be out of order. I am not going to explain each one for lack of time. I’ll gladly answer any questions.
Any advice i would be glad to hear it.

IMG_0846
IMG_0857

KIMG0398
KIMG0399

IMG_0844
IMG_0855
IMG_0858
IMG_0863
IMG_0866
IMG_0871
IMG_0875
IMG_0877
IMG_0881
IMG_0883
IMG_0887
IMG_0888

4 Likes

IMG_0890
IMG_0894
IMG_0898
IMG_0903
IMG_0906
IMG_0909
IMG_0915
IMG_0916
IMG_0945
IMG_0947
IMG_0977
IMG_0980
IMG_0981
IMG_0986
IMG_0953

As i said some of these were out of order. To many to name each one.
Please ignore the messy shop in the background.

12 Likes

I did get it running Tuesday night. here is the first run video. I started with charcoal that was too wet. once i mixed it in with some dry stuff it worked much better.

18 Likes

excellent work as always Jakob!

9 Likes

What Marcus said !!!

10 Likes

Jake, you make it look easy! Hard to make it more compact thain this!

10 Likes

So you decided to bore out some bar stock? Good idea, good thermal mass on those.

7 Likes

yes it was pieces of a cv axle. they are just under high carbon rating. I hope it holds up.

10 Likes

I was able to get a ways on the drive system yesterday.

KIMG0500

Today I went to work at the barn shop. I was able to get this one framed today 12x32.
KIMG0494

KIMG0495

Here are a few others i built the past few weeks
KIMG0496

KIMG0497
KIMG0498
KIMG0499

21 Likes

Great job on that flex drive, lots cheaper than a lovejoy connector. I never thought of using a tire for that. I will have to remember that one for future projects.

Garry c.

13 Likes

I went back a ways and never did find out what you are going to use the engine for and I don’t remember anything about building those small barns. I hope I’m not getting that oldtimers disease. Anyway the framing is a thing of beauty.

10 Likes

the Engine is for a boat. I am trying to copy the basic drive system design that they use to power the dug out canoe’s in the Amazon rainforest. There is a group of missionaries in Columbia that have access to these canoe’s but gasoline is practically un available. I am building this to run on charcoal to prove it will work, so I can present it to the mission organization so possibly it can go to the field and be implemented.

The barns is what I do part time for $.
I work for a few days a week for one of the brothers in our church building those barns.

15 Likes

Sorry for not updating more here is the latest update.
I had a 6.5 hp engine on it initially when we took it to the lake the first time it failed. wasn’t enough horse power to move it. also it was a pull start. I have now upgraded to the 13 hp engine that was on my charcoal powered tractor.

I am still struggling to get the 13 hp engine started although we did get it going today finally.
Here is a video of the 6.5 running. Hopefully tomorrow we will take it to the lake and see if she floats.

15 Likes

Jake at the angle you are running theses engines at have you been disconnecting the low oil shut down sensors, yes?
Regards
Steve Unruh

8 Likes

Hi Jacob,

Not sure if you have researched these much but may have to go with a larger prop with less pitch. They are not really efficient motors anyways just cheap to manufacture and easy to control the draft and steer. Also the boat that you are putting it on is likely shorter and wider than the long narrow indigenous ones and thus harder to drive.

3 Likes

No i actually haven’t needed to. I thought i would have to but it works like it is.

2 Likes