ADAPTech Projects

What Cody sayd. Usualy when it stops dusting it has hit the right spot.

I never use a scale. I know my charcoals bulk density (180g/l) and l know how much the bucket holds and its preety easy to calculate 10% of water.

One more thing to concider. Depending on air moisture, charcoal will atract 10-15% moisture over a few weeks of storage on its self. If you then add your 15% water, you now got a 30% water content! It is best to moisten it right away when its cooked, and it also makes drinding and sifting easyer (no dust). The char in storage might loose a few % but not much

11 Likes

Hallelujah, brother North.
I just re-found, finally open shelving books my copy of E.F. Schumachers 1973 Small Is Beautiful: Economics as if people mattered. It’d been over-stacked, buried, hidden, for onto 15 years.
Been re-reading and it cheers me right back up. Hope for people. Because it is people who are the Hope.
S.U.

8 Likes

Amen to that Steve. If there is a problem then good and wise people can be the solution for the problem.
Bob

3 Likes

I think with the infrequency of my charcoal use I discovered that on accident.

It’s usually a couple weeks before I even take my charcoal out of the burn barrel, and the lid is just a sheet disc sitting over it.

1 Like

Hi Jacob,
I wouldn’t try to deliver a finished product to those people. Just show up with something that just barely works, then let THEM improve it. If you can get them involved in the development, acceptance will be no problem. And they will come up with solutions that suite them and their environment. Sort of start a woodgas club. My two cents.
Rindert

12 Likes

Well the last few weeks have been different. I have been doing somewhat woodgas related stuff. Gathering materials . We left here on the Friday the 7th headed for Oregon. we arrived there on the following Monday. we spent the rest of that week resting and visiting on thursday Robert, Larry Winniarski’s son told me that i could have any of the supplies and hardware stuff i wanted to haul. Friday night i decided to buy a truck and haul a load home . So i bought this 1998 dodge 2500 V-10 . Saturday Jesse and i Went up into Washington we stopped at @SteveUnruh for lunch and @Norman89 and his family came down for luch as well. We had a good visit an Steve showed me his gasifier and marcus gave me pointers on questions i had about mechanical issues with the truck. after lunch we headed north to Kent and we stayed the night with @mggibb. After breakfast the next day We drove east over to @Bobmac and he took us to lunch at a ski lodge that he used to work at . After that we headed back to Corvallis
Monday morning we started sorting stuff. we were sorting through all Larry’s junk piles and trying to organize it so it was manageable and so we could figure out what we were going to haul. Sometime the next couple days we found this travel trailer frame in the weeds and i pulled it out and cut 10 feet off the back of it and we put side boards on it and a deck. I was able tofind enough osb and plywood for side boards and i found a stack of 1 inch particle board that i used for decking. by friday morning the trailer wasn’t done but done enough to load. we spent most of the day friday loading and spent saturday finishing everything ready to leave out sunday morning after a couple hrs of sleep. Sunday morning we pulled out of corvallis about 4 by the end of the road i had to replace the tail lights because whenever i hit the brakes they all went out and one of the tail light quit so i had another set we wired in real quick . we made it bend oregon and stopped for breakfast when we noticed the floor over the axles where most of the weight was stacked had collapsed and the croos members were laying on the axles . I went to home depot and bought 2 4x6 x12 posts and we jacked up the cross members and set the 4x6’s on the axles to hold the floor up . after that we didn’t have any problems till i had the tread come off of a trailer tire in Laramie Wy. I didn’t blow so i kept it as a spare if i had to have it . We drove through the night on sunday and except for gas stops and couple hrs worth of naps. we made it to cheyenne to my friends place a few minbutes after noon . I slept there for a couple hrs and we left again after supper monday evening. We basiscally didn’t have any other problems till Memphis about 200 miles from home . I pulled out of a truck stop and there was a bit of a bump and all the weight of one side went on the front tire . the ears on the hub exploded and the tire went flying . when that happened it buckled the frame in front of the axles. we were able to jack it up rob the hub off the back axle and straiten the frame with a bottle jack and a come along. we chained up the back axle and got back on the road . we blew that front tire about 30 miles later and i put my last spare on it. about 20 miles later the tire right behind that one came off the swedges and we stopped and were able to find it with a flashlight about a 1/4 mile back the interstate . after i kept it going real slow because that front tire was getting hot. since the frame bent it was putting most of the weight on that front tire and i was out of spares . After a stop at another truck stop and a short nap and a cup of coffee we crossed into alabama about 2;30 in the morning and we made it home about 5 am.
I want to say I learned a lesson about this trip I needed much more of a trailer to handle the weight .
I was praying the whole time. God deserves the credit for getting us home we would not have made it past Idaho alone.
I spent yesterday sleeping and we sorted through most of the pipe fittings today.

18 Likes

KIMG1339

Sorting stuff
KIMG1289

KIMG1287
KIMG1296

KIMG1305_01_BURST1001305_COVER
KIMG1306_02_BURST1001306
First blow out .
KIMG1318
Memphis breakdown.
KIMG1319
KIMG1320

Rigged enough we made it home.
KIMG1321
My last spare tire. on the front axle I found this this morning while unloading .

Sorting stuff at home

KIMG1337

I will post some more pictures of the supplies as we unload and sort .

16 Likes

Yep you had a adventure alright!

I have also learned the hard way those travel trailer frames are pretty sparse in the strength department. Lot of guys around here buy them and add in a bunch of crossmembers and box the rails and turn them into a car trailer.
Fine for hauling a jeep or suzuki samurai, but they dont carry a fullsize to well as i found out. we buckled the frame as well.

But you made it home safe with a treasure trove of goodies, and now you got a story to tell. I tell ya Jakob, you keep on like you are and your grand kids are gonna have a lot of story time on the front porch with you.

That particle board is crap, but you made due and got the job done. Major kudos for that. I think you have made more cross country trips then anyone i know now, hope your back is alright them dodge seats start to wear on me around mile 400 personally, then i need a good walk around and stretch before getting back in the seat

18 Likes

Yeah the seats are not great and the handle was broken on this one so it didn’t adjust.

I pulled over one of those cat scales ot a truck stop my last fuel stop before home. Gwv of 24000 lbs
The partical board had already swelled on inch wide when I put it on. so it is going in the burn pile now. I should have added a lot more steel to that frame. If I would do it again I definitely would.

11 Likes

You set the bar high for pushing the limits and getting away with it. My hat is off to you.

9 Likes

I don’t think i will ever push it that hard again. Unless i have to

9 Likes

Hey Jakob.

That is a long trip even if you were on an airplane !!

Glad you made it back home OK :blush:

14 Likes

I don’t mind pushing the limits in my back yard but unlike you my back yard is not the lower 48 states. Just saying cause you done it before.:grin::grin:

Ps with a little help from your friends. I like my friends here no matter what part of the planet they reside in.

12 Likes

Okay it might have been a non DOW fuel trip, but I calling this a new record accross the USA in weight on a make shift trailer pulled out of the brush pile. And that last photo of the tire the next morning a sign there is a God Almighty that performs miricle after miricle for you two.
You definitly had God’s messingers with you the whole way. Glad you made home safely with all of Larry’s stuff he has saved all these years.
Bob

15 Likes

This sounded incredible just reading but when l saw the pictures…

24000 pounds?? You added one zero too much right?

I bet you slept well after coming back home :smile:

13 Likes

post deleted by author

5 Likes

Yes Bob you are right. he was definitely watching out for us!!!

yes I have been sleeping very well.

11 Likes

Scared me just reading about it and looking at pictures.

10 Likes

That’s an amazing distance, weight and story, Jakob! You did a good job making it home.
Makes me wonder, if maybe I could order something and you deliver. I know you have a boat :speedboat: :smile:

20 Likes

I am amazed the D.O.T. didn’t nail you.

11 Likes