ADAPTech Projects

Well I am taking off to go to PA and help organize a church conference of about 1300 people. so I am taking a break for the rest of the week.

Sorry for so many replies. I am doing all this from my phone and it isn’t allowing me to post more at one time.

10 Likes

does your boss have a pacific northwest yard cause that looks like a whole lot of fun to do

6 Likes

No he just has one shop. but the kits come out of Missouri. they ship them all over the country. I don’t know the name of where he buys them but I think it is a branch of “Lincoln Log Homes”. It is kinda fun I’m thinking about building a kiln and buying a planer so I can mill out the kits myself. A kit for a 24’x40’ costs about $33,000 that is just the logs and rafters and roof decking. that doesn’t include the roof metal, the foundation or floor system, or any of the electrical . so even if I spent a number of months building a kit it would be a good living.

10 Likes

I’m happy you are all ok, that is all that matters. The rest is just replaceable stuff.

10 Likes

First time I was ever in a truck that someone else rolled over. Truth is, it wasn’t all Jakob’s fault, I should have not let him try what he did. Should have known better. But you’re right, just an old truck…maybe another frame for the zip line tower…

13 Likes

Wow Jakob! What you managed over the summer I couldn’t in a lifetime. Hat’s off.
And Billy, roller-coasters are for youngsters - not elderly people :grin: I’m glad you’re ok though.

11 Likes

The v10 has been getting a workout. Now for time to put a gasifier on it? : :thinking: Also I built a couple gates.

19 Likes

Hey JacobN.,
I’ve used hanging sections of the old heavy guage chain-link as gates gap lower edge blocker-sweeps:

Works to keep the dogs in. The coyotes out.
Ha! Rabbits will dig in.
Raccoons climb in.
Our dogs love those!
Regards
Steve Unruh

12 Likes

thanks I like that :grin:

10 Likes

Feels like you guys are having too much fun. Think its time for a visit and even things out :smile:

12 Likes

come on over!

yeah I’ll try to post more pictures. I have to remember to take them.

11 Likes

To even things out you and JO need to expect a couple hundred people on your doorstep. That’s not including all the others from your side of the pond. I could probably spend a year or two there and not give back what you and JO gave to me by your few days visit here gave to me. That’s not including what I appreciate from all the others that give their input here from places I have to look up on a map. Now looking for a bigger map. :thinking:

12 Likes

Tom, this is were it gets akward for us in in the Nordic countries. We are less used to compliments up here :smile: I’ll leave it at a simple - Thank you for your kind words.

Being in general more practical than polite, this statement makes me worry. I doubt my porch could take it. I’d suggest you devide into groups of 10 or so. Other than that you’re very welcome to visit :smile:

12 Likes

:wink: Here we have a lot of jokes about too many drunk people dancing on the porch, it breaks and kills dogs under there… Very long funny stories.
Rindert

5 Likes

Tom, you are way to generous talking about two more or less crazy europeans :smile:

6 Likes

Hey guys. have any of you ever built a foundation/ stem wall for a house out of rock?
I have access to big piles of rocks. And the block itself for what I am looking at building is going to cost over $2,000 so I am trying to figure out how to use the rock I have. Has anyone ever done it and can give me some pointers?

@Tone
@KristijanL
@tcholton717

6 Likes

What size are the rocks? Can you pick them up by hand or need equipment? Many old houses had what they called rubble stone foundations where they laid up two walls with mortar with a space between where they threw in the “rubble stones” (smaller pieces). These walls ended up about 2 feet thick. Heavy beam sill plates on top of the wall carried the weight of the house.

11 Likes

They are a range of sizes but most of them I can lift. I was thinking about something similar for a design. Did they pour a concrete footer under those rock walls or just stack big rocks on the ground?

4 Likes

Big rocks on the ground for footer. The biggest problem was that they had poor quality mortar they made from sand and clay which flaked off easily. then they plastered over it.

7 Likes

Jacob, will the whole foundation be in the ground? We have a lot of stones here, we always put a layer of stones in the channel for the foundation and poured it with concrete, if the foundation is high, we repeated the process up to the top. Stones compacted with concrete represent equivalent strength of the foundation as concrete itself, if you have a vibrating needle for concrete, it is even better. Mix the concrete with a lot of water so that it is more liquid and covers the stones better. If the foundation extends from the ground, you can build the visible surface from stones (stone scarp), and behind it, slowly fill it with stones and cover everything with concrete.

13 Likes