ADAPTech Projects

Billy, First, Joy and I will be praying for you and your family, and for a successful mission! For cooling rails, I would think “in-ground” would work. You could use un-fired clay (slurry?) for a liner and to somewhat control condensate flow, and as a sealant. Maybe have a sump for collecting liquid, which could be used for other things. You could use barrel lids or misc for “flanges” where pipes connect. You could also build your “Hay Filter” in the ground. How long have hollow logs been used for plumbing?? I would think the biggest problem would be keeping the “tunnels” from collapsing. maybe have to use something like poultry netting or barrel rings to give some structure. I think some kind of refractory mixture could contain a “fire tube” part of a gasifier, but materials available on site?? Concentrate on your roof tiles and maybe a solution will present itself. Sorry if I am rambling on, been daydreaming experiments all day… :grin:

5 Likes

I have just been trying to consider what we could do to use earth based materials like brick and mud to replace the iron parts of a gasifier so we can make a stationary unit to run a power generator or a sawmill or something of the like. Possibly to create gas for a cannery of fruit drying system.

Surely we can design something that would need very few steel parts.
And if it is stationary, it could have a very long cooling tube for condensation if necessary. Maybe even a way to drop the tar in a earth based pit or tunnel. Also, bricks don’t rust away when they contact acid.

Just thoughts.

Input is welcome, but I probably won’t get to building anything until at least next year. But as I am there this year I might be able to research availability of materials etc…

6 Likes

Just in case you haven’t already seen this. My common sense tells me that smelting, foundry, pottery making and other high temperature industries all trade ideas and materials and are done using locally sourced materials by indigenous peoples.

4 Likes

Thanks Rindert, I had seen part of that. Love it. I can imagine putting a children’s see saw on top of the bellows to pump them…

3 Likes

I don’t always want to do it. And even more often I don’t know how to do it…I much prefer my American lifestyle. But poverty and its effects are sickening. And when you meet it personally face to face…well for me, I feel compelled to try to help. Can’t think of anything more purposeful to do with one’s life than spend it serving others. He that sees his brother in need and doesn’t help him, how dwelleth the love of God in him? No matter what your religious views, I hold that is the highest of ideals.
I appreciate this group for their willingness to help each other and the world. We actually have quite a few people working to help the poor of the world in this group.
Wayne and Chris have helped a lot of people with their work in DOW. Koen is working in Thailand. Bruce works in Rwanda, Dr. Larry has helped millions and millions with his rocket stove. Certainly Matt is going to do some good with all his research and I am taking some videos of Jeff’s small machines to Africa to help stir some juices. And I’m sure there are many more I am not mentioning who work at home and abroad…

8 Likes

I heard a person on the radio today talking about social justice, observing that if one part of a body is in pain, the entire body clenches. She quoted some eastern philosopher who had said something to the effect that the person who can ignore the pain or suffering of others is not with God.

Sorry for mangling the quote, but I agree with the sentiment. If people all over the world could be assured safety, health care, food and clean water and the means to make decent livings, it would be a better planet.

5 Likes

Hi Billy, I think this under ground gas cooling system could work. If made of fired harden brick and mortar together. It would have to be in a soil deep enough that could be backed and seal around the brick and deep enough to cool the gas. Moist soil if possible. Multiple small passage ways. The red bricks with holes in them like we use in the USA for construction. Line up the holes in the bricks and stager them over each other. Make mortar and mortar over the whole pile line of bricks now they are sealed from under and sides and top. If a little air does get in it would just premix the gas with air.
Bob

3 Likes

Fire clay Vitrified piping has been used for water and sewage transfer at low pressures for centuries. Clay&oakum for the socket-ed ends joints sealing.
In-ground buried and supported this should work for gas-cooling too.
Regards
Steve unruh

4 Likes

I’m no expert on this, (by far), but I have had in mind for a long time to make a vitrified coating for roof tiles, or what have you, using ground powdered glass mixed into a thin clay slip, I imagine on second firing the objects will be glass coated. This will be better covered in the pottery info readily available online, but it seems very accessible technology to folks in the 3rd world.

Of course, respiratory and eye hazards well considered. That is the one thing that always disturbs me about the ‘get er done’ attitude in the 3rd world, goals always trumping long term health risks.

Have to stress masks and eye protection above all right from day 1

4 Likes

I need to paint the chunker so it doesn’t rust up. Does anyone know of what I could paint the cutter head with that won’t wear off in the first few cuts?

3 Likes

Nothing much other than powder coat will do, and not even really it. Otherwise you might look into a chemical coating like the old gun oxides, or a rust proof oil

3 Likes

Hey Jakob

Keeping paint on the cutter head would be like keeping paint on a turning plow . Just don’t think you will have much luck .

4 Likes

Maybe just keep running enough wood through it to keep it shiny :disappointed_relieved::disappointed_relieved::grinning::grinning:

6 Likes

Hi Jakob, the rust on my wood chunker blade doesn’t seem to stop it from cutting wood, it might even help it do a better job. It is pretty shinny when I get done chunking.
Bob

4 Likes

The power company was cutting a bunch of trees at the end of our road and they were happy to hear I wanted some of the logs. I plan to use these to build my mechanic shop. I will probably end up driving on whatever I don’t use for lumber.
1st and second load.
DSCN0107 DSCN0108 DSCN0111
3rd load
DSCN0110
4th load
DSCN0112
last load.
DSCN0114

16 Likes

Haha, that’s what I do too :smile: let the power company do some work for me. After all, we pay them a lot for what comes out of those tiny sockets :smile:

13 Likes

I finally finished the chunker.
DSCN9796 DSCN9797 DSCN9798

17 Likes

Very nice job. What did you paint it with. Looks like a lot of wire brushing before the paint . TomC

5 Likes

I painted it with some Rust Oleum miss-tint form Lowe’s. I bought the gallon of metal paint that someone had returned for 10 bucks it is a light gray. Yes, lots of wire wheeling the flywheel will get repainted once i get my sand blaster working I will sand blast it there was still old paint i could not get to with a wire brush so i will sand blast it later and repaint the flywheel.

9 Likes

Funny I don’t think I have ever seen someone measure a log in cubits before. Looks like you got a good supply of wood there. The chunker looks nice to.
Oh I will just say consider yourself lucky if I had all those old rusty iron treasures around here the town would definitely make me haul them away. I could see several good projects there.

7 Likes