Advice: which gassifier, small genset

G’day all, been away for a bit, secured a supply of woodchip, needing advice on a working small gassifier design that works well on chip instead of chunk. Will be using a small Genset <6 kVA eventually like to getting a speeduino running it. and intend to shave the head down to get 15-16:1 what can you point to?
Thx, Rance.

4 Likes

I don’t know what of Matt Ryder’s stuff runs on chips but you might try looking at some of his stuff.

2 Likes

Hi Rance,
What’s the horsepower rating of the engine powering the genset?

After reading about shaving the head, I realized there would be a
HP increase. If so, you need to estimate the final HP and build to
that HP for optimum performance. Pepe

2 Likes

Are you looking to buy or build?

2 Likes

I assume classifying chips will be important for a wood gasser to avoid constipation.

I use pyrolyzed woodchips to run charcoal gasifiers. Hardwood chips are delivered free by tree trimming companies working around my town. I classify my chips between 1 inch and 3/8 inch screens then turn into charcoal in a giant (30 gallon) TLUD (Top Lit Up Draft) gasifier stove.

4 Likes

G’day Pepe,
< 10hp for the one I have in mind I’ve held off on buying one as I might need to change it based on gasifier. (I take it the miniWK ones can’t digest <1" woodchip too well?

2 Likes

Yea build, mate, I’ve PURCHASED W.K.'S book a couple of years ago and been a member of this site for a few years, but been ‘pregnant’ with the idea for a few years.until opportunity struck.I know a w.k. needs chunks rather than chip.

3 Likes

I must say my experience has been with chunks not chips. With the chunk design
gravity pretty much is the feed mechanism, although I did install a vibrator on my unit
“just in case”.
With chips I’m presuming some sort of mechanical chip delivery system would be needed.
I would presume chips would not “fall” well to auto feed, however a vibrator shaker or
auger feed might work.
One more complication to consider.

3 Likes

I’ve never seen the need for a purpose built agitator on my systems. I run chips in my systems.

It can be done… just takes a lot of planning

3 Likes

Search for Steven Abaddess victoria here on DOW. My systems were based on his hearth ideas… with more than a few changes.

3 Likes