Another baler chunker

The best practice for logs to saw is just keep them out of the dirt. A 3 point system on a tractor, and a chain or choker to be able to lift the butt end well off the ground is ideal. Makes skidding far more efficient too. A log arch will do the same, and actually predates modern equipment. That way only the far end of the log may be dirty, and you can knock that off with an axe, only the entry cut matters, then the rest is eliminated with squaring the cant.

If far enough north, skidding logs on snow, or at least frozen ground is best, logs can be completely dirt free.

The technical solution is to use a circular saw leading the cut to make a clean kerf. But clean logs are better for all the equipment and steps of processing later on. If sawing lumber for others, running into dirty logs is a certainty.

6 Likes

Bark will almost fall off wood when the phase of the moon is correct. I don’t know what phase you want but in 30 days you can probably figure it out. Lol. I didn’t believe that when I was first told years ago but it is true even with logs the moon changes the bond between the bark and the wood. That said removing the bark from a log by hand seems like alot of work. There is a curved bladed axe like tool the old timers used for it when building post and beam structures.

2 Likes

Conveyor for the chunker built from set of pallet rollers.

10 Likes

Nice! I’ve been looking for one of those. What was it’s original purpose?

Hi Bill, I built it from an old set of stationary pallet rollers, cut the rolls to 12’’, cut the frame to fit them, had a piece of 24’’ pvc belting, cut it to 12’’, and spliced. Used the left over angle for the wheel brackets.

5 Likes