Any running gasifiers in New Zealand?

Just wondering if there were any users based in New Zealand with a running gasifier? Would be keen to connect and see what been done locally.

4 Likes

Hi Henri , not aware of any running machines , but could be totally wrong , the only guy i know of can be found here .

What are you going to be running ? wood , charcoal , stationary or mobile ? plenty of shy people here in Aus that are not shouting about there systems also , would be nice to get a group going for sure .
Dave

10 Likes

Hi Henri, Im in Waihi and mine will be finished in a week. Im just plumbing it up now, downdraught charcoal gasifier to run a selection of small engines. Ultimately Ill power my V8 Land Rover with a larger one

10 Likes

Hi Stuie , what or who’s design are you following for your downdraft ? I hope your following the build so we can all watch it on line .
Only 1 word of advice this early into your build and that is AIR LEAKS , just make sure all connections from blowers filters and air / fuel mix are 100% air tight .
Happy building and hope to see it real soon .
Dave

10 Likes

6 hours paint drying time and Ill assemble it for your viewing pleasure. Its mostly built- just the plumbing to go.
Whos design?- er… Its a hybrid. definitely a bit of Imbert, a pinch of ‘Thrive off grid’ and volumes and diameters from the FEMA chart for 30hp. My own input is from my rocket stove experience with ceramics and insulation. And the overall flavor is ‘upcycled dump scavenged scrap’

8 Likes

And this is your first gasifier build is it Stuie ? well its going to be interesting to see that’s for sure , and here’s me thinking you were building a charcoal system sounds more like a advanced hybrid machine , now that’s really got my imagination going .
Dave

7 Likes

lol! - thinking back - its not my first gasifier. way back in 1982 when I was just starting my engineering apprenticeship, I made a whole lot of parts for a cross draught gasifier that went to Fiji to burn maize cobs for elecricity. the boys in our fab shop actually rolled up the cones and welded it all together. I made the fan hub, the flanges, keyed the shaft and painted it. sadly I didn’t take a lot of interest in the test runs.
I was immersed in my next job- an automatic self weighing potato bagging carousel- or was it the road cone washing machine on a trailer?

8 Likes