Are You a One in a Million?

I have a reasonable priced saw mill looking too dispose of his wood at about 3.5’ long a stack about 4.5’ tall and about 30’ long stack, for 50 bucks,i just need too catch it when he has pine wood so i can save a bundle or two out back for while too dry then just saw and load in gasifier.Thanks

1 Like

Just get your country to start bullying the middle east and then you can have cheap gas prices too! War is back and it is in style!

2 Likes

more and more people are heating with wood these days since outdoor woodburners are plug and play or should I say fill and play… A lot of wood that was once free is now being sold. People have gotten stingy around here.

2 Likes

Not to mention the fact that our government takes our tax money and gives it to our oil companies to make the pump price appear cheaper.

The worst part of all this oil price games is all the murders takeing place under false pretence of wars or intentional body bags. all the big wigs getting together in secret decideing who dies next, you caint desire 90 percent of the people gone and inslave the rest, as the elite have spoken, without being demon crazy bunch of satanist.

I don´t think middle east has anything to do with our gas prices. 2/3 are fixed taxes. That way we always have expensive gas whether oilprices are high or low - and I like it - I don´t drive a lot :grin:
I´ll start driving a lot as soon as my gasifier is up and running :grin: (when ever that will be :disappointed_relieved:)

3 Likes

I think our gas taxes average around 40 cents a gallon in USA, at least that’s what they tell us anyway.I liked it better when there was more competitors on fuel sales.Sunday drives been on a steep decline in the USA allso in the last 10 years. Good luck with gasifier time, its hard to to make time for projects it seems for many of us.I may be one in a hundred by the time mine is finished.

2 Likes

Kevin; $50 for that size bundle sounds very high to me, but as usual, the price is what ever the market will bare. With gas down to $2+ a gallon $50 of gas will take you a long way with NO effort. Makes it hard for us to justify our woodgas vehicles.
JO; I hate taxes and I usually feel the government is just trying to rake us over the coals. But in Europe, I do feel that maybe they are taxing you for your own benefit. If it wasn’t for that tax, you would be guzzling down gas like we do in the US. Your economy would get use to it and then, because you don’t have your own oil supply, that economy would tank very hard the next time your oil supply is cut off. And yes, with your oil coming out of the middle east— at some point it will get cut off. Find time to get welding on that gasifier. You will always have a good reason to run on woodgas. Why can’t you weld this winter? TomC

2 Likes

Hi Tom C,The row i explained above,fills my big truck bed too the top,and a 5 by 10 foot trailer 3.5 foot side racks twice for 50 bucks,at least a federal cord i would say.Because it is heavy,then again most the time its plain old cotton wood witch should work if cut to optimum size, then wait 3 to ? months after cut too dry out, or let set out back too dry for 8 months ,then have tons of wood for 150 bucks.

2 Likes

Hey KevinR I have both woodstoved and gasified with cotton wood a bit. Works. Is a dried down low density, lower enrgy by volumn fuel wood with a higher end ash %. Once dried - Keep it under cover and dry. Soaks up water like a spong, then rots quick. Still sap wet burnt it will smell like cat piss.

Guys we can debate top-down controls of energy sources endlessly. And I would put forward that once you allow anything to be commodolized then subject to “futures” speculation that that is now the most significant price swings driving factor. E.G. the California deregulation of grid power then allowing speculators like “the crooked E”, Enron to steal billions never can be got back with western grid market manipulations.

But in the end all you really can control is you and your little corner of the world that touches you.
In our Consumer societies we can do this very personal, and directly.
My pancakes and french toast get real regional cows butter, real NA maple syrup or local bees honey. Made with our own deep rich bugs and grasses fed chicken eggs.
Nope. Ain’t enough cows butter for everybody. They hook, line and sinker mostly use “healthy for you?” vegetable oil margarine.
Nope Ain’t enough real maple syrup for All either. They hook, line and sinker use corn syrups artificially flavored. Mrs Butterworths should be listed as addictive. Yum. Yum.
Ain’t enough 100% nectar local honey for All either. They price seduced by China watered down imports.
Ha! Ha! Very funny to me when I get called elitist for insisting on the the best like these, and woodheat.
Yes JO I can afflord these because I cheap Internet, actually mechanically wear out my electronics, drive our must get good good mileage vehicles out into their recycling age, live in a 50’s lifestyle house not back to the future “connectivity” converted. Buy, and wearout PNW wools. USA 100% cottons. Dino synthetics NOT good around woodstoves!!
Only thing that has really effected me is when the “trends” makes what I do use and consume impossible to source at any sacrifice price.
Been through two gasoline rationing era’s in my lifetime. And many grid-down power outages.
So I insist on the freedom to make my own for these no availability times.
Wood-for-Power in any way getting tougher and tougher here socially labeling me as a “TreeKiller” or a Pee-loot-er. These progressive socials all vote and end up driving me even more to the energy bootlegging, then by their new laws illegal approaches. I am now locked out on driving on wood. Challenge the OBDII beast a few thousand time and sooner or later he bites back hard.

I am not elitist at all. Neither, am I an energy-for-all missionary.
Just like our home grown eggs and chickens has at times a sweaty, shitty, blood guts and feathers personal price: woodpower demands a personal woodsweat commitment outgo too.
History shows well now repeated time after time: late 1940’s, early 1980’s then the whole 1990’s that only those willing to personally pay the woodsweat price repeatedly, annually, will not allow themselves to be bought-off and put wood-for-power into real ongoing use.
And this is that one in a million guy or gal.

Yep. I now judge “woodgassers” by the size of their woodpiles. All else is talk/squawking with no sustainable real use results.

As some have come to know me through personal contacts that I’m actually more woodenergy insistent than this. IF you are not willing to invest in actually growing your wood enrgy to balance your consumption you should stick with dino energies, grid energies along with margarine, corn syrups, and eggs and chicken meats from the store shelves. ( means more available for those who want and are willing to sweat sacrifice for the Real values)
I do try to moderate down my living beliefs to more internet group social though.

Regards to all
Steve Unruh

5 Likes

You need to watch movie atlas shrugged.

1 Like

I always get asked why more don’t do the wood thing the only thing I come up with is lazy .that fits all wood adventures cooking heating driving . its the same with off grid living its not for everyone but for the few that do either or both I commend you .

2 Likes

I cut firewood, plow some ground to one day do grains, garden, egg chickens some meat birds, solar both passive and active, maple syrup and of course my charcoal creations. I usually dismiss it as "just my hobbies " when talking because I cannot be bothered anymore trying to explain the whys of it all to my peers who ,if they have not already, will never get it. My interests are all aimed at the fuzzy endgoal of self sufficiency. Woodgas is a big part of it for me but not the whole. One in a million? Don’t know about that but maybe ahead of the curve and hopefully far enough to not get squished by history/karma when it comes for us. Thanks Steve this was one of my favorites of yours from the older site.
Best regards, David Baillie

4 Likes

Tom, about taxes. It’s just that I prefer taxes on goods, not income. If you don’t buy a lot you don’t pay a lot. Favours self sufficiency. If you choose a fancy lifestyle it’ll cost you.

Sweden escaped WW2 and got a head start in economy. In the 50s and 60s we had extensive fundraising for our poor neighbours Norway.
In the 70s they found oil offshore and now THEY are the richest country in the world - but we’re still paying them - I think most of our oil is coming out of Norway.

Yes, I might get a little done on the gasifier during winter. It’s just that I know there’s soon almost no daylight, snowing has started and metal work is no fun in freezing temps. I can’t weld or grind inside. I can’t risk burning my house down or get poisoned.
And then there is work. The company I work for just reasently somehow managed to make us work 10% more hours. In return we get 10% lower monthly salary??? and when I get a day or two off there always seems to be other priorities.

Enough complaining - we’re still very lucky considering everything going on in the world.

JO

6 Likes

With a USA population of 318 million and around 30 long time drivers, that would be one in 10.6 million. Is that luckier than lotto winners across the country?

1 Like

Hey Doug .

Argos is the only town I have ever been where you may meet a half dozen wood burning vehicles on the road or pass or be passed by a wood burner . :grin:

3 Likes

Hello JO; I understand what you say about taxes. We also get taxed on what we make and then on what we buy. I didn’t know you escaped WWII, but you were stuck without oil which led to your evolvement in gasification. I understand your frustration with giving Norway money. We started giving money to many countries to help them get back up and running. We are still giving them money and today they hate us and would sink us if they had their way. I didn’t know you didn’t have access to a shop. You have gotten so many things done, that I assumed you had a good working area. Over the years the animals have gotten into my isolation and ruined the partitions, so I put up a pipe frame and cover it with plastic tarps to create and enclosed one car garage in my shop. I can’t “heat” the area, but is possible to warm enough to spend some time out there. The concrete floor never gets warm so my feet are my limiting factor. One of those “shipping containers” would be a possible solution.
Your working situation sounds about like what we are going through. The middle class is asked to work more, but get paid less. Thank God I am retired, but they have found a way to say that we had NO inflation last year so our Social Security payments will stay the same as last year. BS. I will make it to the end alright, though. Hunker down around the fire and make plans for next years projects. TomC

7 Likes

Hey DougD I think a few more now than when WayneK said 30.
But add in the other North Americans in Canada, and a couple of three down in Mexico and that base number gets bigger. So yes, one-in-a-million still.

TomC the Gov’mint bumping UP my SS full retirement age from 65 to 66 that I paid into for 40 years helped me decide on taking the still early lower pay back at 62 years. Younger wife has to wait until 67 years. Carrot on a stick probably be 68 as she approaches.

Ernie I. never saw the movie. Read the book in the late 70’s after my disapointments with the fizzle-out early, 70’s back-to-the-land movement. Then read all of her books and spent the early 80’s bought into to that. Disillusioned with that Trickle Down that DID NOT by the late 80’s when the newly-rich seemed more interested in engulfing and devouring companies, boneing them out for a short term profit.
I helped make 4 different millionaires from blue collar to upper-yuppers in that time. I was the "partner"manager-working-floor-boss. I was shared the crumbs as long as I could keep the minimum wage folks sweating, fired, and then trained up sweating.
As I said I am most often 50% wrong.
Switched and spent the late 90’s/2000’s shifted over to “you really need ME” working. First: CNC, ISO 2001 manufacturing. Then worked up to master tech auto work specializing in driveabilty and emissions, until Bush/Obama’ed out of that.
Far few after 2003 repaired anymore with give-a-new-car-loan-to-any-warm-body. Then tax-payer money taking cars out of circulation that could have been repaired, and used for years longer with LESS pollution for the new materials dino bases reformulated, needed to be mined and manufactured. Remember that the scrap from those bought out of service all went to China for very dirty manufacturing.
Gov’mints should stay out of markets manipulations. They are too good-intentions, destabilizing. Monitor. Regulate excesses sure. Social compliance manipulation, never.
Anybody says they know best for YOU. They are wrong. Even me.
Individuals you can just walk away from laughing.
Gov’mints with the power to jail you . . . .
Why I say, Bootleggers forever.
Advantage to look kinda’ stupid, drive old clapped out, and hat in hand, raggety assed just unable to comply when energy making bootlegging.
I can do all of that 'cept the stupid part. Sigh. My mouth is too big. My ego too small. And my will too strong.
S.U.

6 Likes

I am new to this site and have had an interest in wood gas for a few years. I work as a maintenance worker for a large corporation that i can purchase stainless metal in a canisters and many other forms as well as drums and valves of all sizes,pipe ect. I have a real nice collection and would like to start building a wood gas generator for my 5kw generator. is there a place to go that will get actual plans or prints to guide me on this. Many places i have been on show minimal direction or guidance. Mark Brown

2 Likes

I purchased the membership on this site and built a scaled down version of the WK. I believe it to be a wise move because of all the units out there being used everyday. A lot of support and experience from this community.

3 Likes