Argos 2020 Planning

We have begun making a list for our virtual Argos event. We have way too many projects on it already. We better get started this week if we’re going to make it all happen… :grimacing:

2 Likes

Are will still doing shirts for this year?

No, too complicated.
Famous Excuse: Maybe Next Year.

2 Likes

This years Argos T-shirt might as well be a blank Tee you could buy at Walmart, or even already have in your closet. Maybe black. I think next year’s shirt will be what this year’s shirt would have been. Mr. Jakob North and a Woodgas Truck. Maybe a light blue. :grin:
Until all of the interstate travel bans are lifted, Argos 2020 will be virtual.

4 Likes

When I was a young child if I was told Christmas was cancelled this year I am sure I would feel the same as I feel now :lying_face:

I guess part of life is dead batterys and flat tires.

9 Likes

There still is a light on. Haven’t given up yet. Still almost 2 months away. I want to make sure we can legally travel between the states, and morally have a reasonable probability we will not bring sickness home to loved ones. :slightly_smiling_face: Someone in the world (meaning all of driveonwood.com) has to be optimistic. When I wrote “black t-shirt” it was a day when I was feeling down. I tend to wear my emotions on my shirt-sleeves. Ask my wife or co-workers!! :crazy_face:

4 Likes

I agree Mike, as far as some counties in wisconsin, there are parks opening, but then again there are protests in madison and I think milwaukee after Governor Evers extended the stay at home order. I (and many others) hope that there is an answer to resolve this pandemic soon.

3 Likes

Ha Wayne, those videos gave me mixed feelings. Wonderful memories, mixed with today’s reality. Funny how fast live experiences turn to just memories. I can still remember the smell of the late night subtropical moisture driving through Billy’s neck of the woods and feel the extreme heat chasing coyote at your porch :smile: Also, the memory of the thrill knowing you’re going to meet all the people at the meetup has a special place in my heart…

11 Likes

What JO sayd. This was probably the most enjoyable couple of days l ever had.

6 Likes

It was fun having you here.

5 Likes

How are we geting along with thr Argos virtual event planing? Any date set yet?

3 Likes

Kristijan, and everyone interested,
No virtual Argos date set yet. I would think June near the actual date of the previously planned meetup. (June 11-14). State of Indiana released some guidelines on Friday May 1st. We are going to get back to “normal” living in 5 stages, so to speak. Stage 1 (the most restricted) is now past. Stage 2 has started. June 11-14 is stage 3 bumping the start of stage 4. What this means for us is: by June 11, travel restrictions will be lifted. Groups of up to 100 will be allowed. Masks in public still suggested, along with social distancing. Restaurants open for dine-in at reduced capacity. Campgrounds are opening up. Residents 65 and over urged to be very cautious around the public. Nursing homes still closed to visitors. These guidelines are subject to change if severe C-19 cases increase.
:slightly_smiling_face:
I think we can plan on a meetup happening for those who still want to come. We may want to keep things quiet and under the radar more than usual. Plan to have a mask with you if you need it. If you plan to stay at a hotel, make sure you have a reservation.
I hope I am not being overly optimistic!! :grin: :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Yes, you’re being overly optimistic, and I love it. It would be great if it was possible to have an actual meet up. We’ll certainly try to be there. Especially if what I have now is Covid and we are cleared by then. But I would still strongly encourage a virtual meet up. Many of our people are older and may want to sit it out. Might make for a lean crowd and may be good to be able to connect online. WOuldn’t be a bad function in a normal year also…Just thinking.

4 Likes

With apologies to all in the small group that was still willing to come, we are going to cancel the 2020 Argos, Indiana Woodgas Meetup. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak. The fairgrounds people are very nervous about us being there. They know we would be coming from many different places. They would insist on the full CDC treatment, by the book. I fear we would be under the microscope like never before. I don’t want to be told to leave and never come back. I shudder to think that if anything bad happens, they will blame us. It is a small town after all. Ron Lemler has been in communication with the fairgrounds people recently, and reported the facts, the rest is speculation on my part.
So, That’s All Folks! See you in 2021. :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

Sooo… is this the time to start more detailed planing on the virtual event? :wink:

I understand many (includeing me) dont have the equipment and the knolidge for a acual virtual conference, but even posting a few pictures or a video on youtube will bring the spirit! I have a smart phone, a angle grinder and a welder. I am sure 90% of you guys have more thain that…

And the materials for the builds are coming together! Preparations for the event!

image000000

13 Likes

Kristijan, I turned two of those into evaporators for making syrup. I have two more sitting around here.

8 Likes

I hope to have energy to focus on some projects for the event.

7 Likes

Well…bummers.
Ok, So - folks that were on the fence about coming may plan on next year as I expect it will be worth the trip.

5 Likes

@KristijanL @Wayne
Google reminded me what happened May 27 last year :smile:

19 Likes

Yes JO

We had a ball , many memories :grinning:

6 Likes