Argos 2021 Planning!

Andy,
This is Ronda Lemler. Ron still has plenty of wood for those who need it. He will be bringing some on Thursday. We plan of helping Mike set up and then being there all day on Saturday. Our schedule is always changing and will be there part of the time. Looking forward to seeing everyone.
Ronda L.

9 Likes

So does that mean you still have lots of wood? Just wanting to clarify you have more that the three crates that mike mentioned. I was starting to make plans and start bagging wood to haul for the trip there and back. Also do y’all want the crates back i hauled one home 2019 i have kept it should i plan to bring it back?

3 Likes

Hi Jakob, I am planning to bring six boxes, but not bringing the straight truck this year.
Last meetup we used only seven boxes so there should be plenty.
Ron L

3 Likes

Bob and I got started yesterday 2240 miles from my house
Made nearly 700 miles to Jerome Idaho

image image

But saved some gas on the last 10 miles
Found a 24 hr shop in twin falls so will fill the Tranny again (17 quarts for 30 miles).
And try to make the last 11 miles

Memorial Day repairs to a front seal will be a challenge

9 Likes

Keep us informed. Sorry to hear that. If you were in my area id say I’ll come get you and we’ll swap it out real quick.

3 Likes

Prayer belongs here! At least, you are still smiling! Had a similar problem with our GM Astro-Van. My wife Joy and her sister Amy had to add Trans fluid over a 500 mile trip last year. Lots of trans fluid! One of the cooler lines to the radiator had rusted through. Trans shop in Tennessee “pasted” it for her. :cowboy_hat_face:
Red arrow = Jerome, Idaho. :innocent:

4 Likes

Hey MichealG. the same thing happened to another fellow gasifier guy heading back home from an across country Bio-Mass energy seminar.
His towing 94 Ford 460 blew out the trans front seal.
20+ year old trucks hard ran and it-happens.

Same, same problem. Too valuable invested to just on-spot sell it and fly back home. Buy a different truck once back home.

So on the spare-tools on board for a wood gas truck add GOOD towing insurance (or a pile of cash). And a credit card with a few thousands dollar limit.
Ha! And W.K.'s insisted need cell phone.

As a practical; bus/train/fly now to Argos using the DOW members network for the nearest airport-to-Argos connection.
Pick up the repaired truck on the way back.
Salvage the once-a-year experiences.
Regards
Steve unruh

6 Likes

Praying and hoping all will work out OK .

3 Likes

On a previous years planning thread, i remember a picture of the camper electrical hookups. I cant seem to find it now.
Im not bringing a camper, but thought I would bring my 110 v welder and plasma cutter and they kinda need a 30 amp circuit. Wanted to bring appropriate plug if possible

3 Likes

Open up this link for the outlets pictures.
S.U.

3 Likes

Thanks steve! you must have either better search skills than me, or a brain like a steel trap to remember stuff like that.

2 Likes

Andy. Could you bring char grinder? I am working on one but not finished Thanks Dan

2 Likes

I would say Steve has forgotten more then I’ll ever know, but pretty sure he has an elephant brain and never forgets!

3 Likes

Ok dan, ive got the grinder loaded up.

2 Likes

Transmission is toast, unable to get a reman until Monday.
Rented a Camery at the airport for a week
Bob and I made it to rock springs, Wyoming and just hit the quality inn sack at10 pm

The 95 F250 is resting in Twin Falls ID and should be almost brand new by next Tuesday
We should be at Argos Thursday evening!

6 Likes

Where is the unlike button? Sad we wont get to see your truck, but happy you will be there anyway. Do you think we could get the camry converted to wook over the weekend?

4 Likes

Michael, So sad for your misfortunes! We all wanted to see your truck! I am sincerely glad you are able to continue on to Argos. We want to see you and Bob for sure! Bright side is: you are both safe, and you will save a small fortune in gasoline! :cowboy_hat_face: :grin:

2 Likes

Years ago we had a motorhome that we took on a vacation from Michigan to Florida. We made it to Bowling Green Kentucky when the motor dropped a valve. Some 40 hours later I had it back on the road with a used engine. The bugger burned oil. I changed to refilling with 50wt racing oil and could go about 300 miles on a quart. On the trip home - some wheel studs broke on the drive axle. Much fun getting wheel studs and someone with a press to change them on a Saturday. Then a tire blew on a bridge in Atlanta. It was very cold. Even a cop who drove slowly by would not stop and ask if we needed help. When we got into the mountains. The wheel bearings failed on the drive axle - ruining the axle housing. There were record setting cold temps with -40 wind chills that had semi’s shut down all over the place. Not a shop around would work on the unit as they were busy with semi’s that wouldn’t run. We got a ride with a semi driver to get home where we had a truck with a usable axle and more tools and warm clothes. The semi had fuel gel 90 miles up the highway. We spent the night on the terrazzo floors of another truck stop. The following day we found a ride back down to the broken down motorhome and my mom, twin nieces from France and a cat who had stayed behind. An unemployed boyfriend of one of the truck stop waitresses took us over an hour away to get another axle with his car. I changed the axle in the truck stop parking lot wearing simple street clothes and tennis shoes. The shop would let me borrow tools as I needed them. Temps were around zero with -30 wind chills the day I worked under the RV. That 2 1/2 week vacation has been the most problematic one I ever had.

I hope so much that your trip will be better than that one we had. Break downs away from home really can take the fun out of a trip.

Is there anything that you need while at Argos that you had to leave behind in the truck?

3 Likes

Any interest from the tow driver or shop on all the stuff in the bed? Might have to do some ride alongs when you pick it up with the new trans :grin:

2 Likes

Yes bright side is we went from 12 mpg to 41 mpg
We made 700 miles to Lincoln, NE tonight.
The Camery is just a 4 banger but can hit 100 in seconds.
There is a lot of AI. In the thing and when the cell phone is plugged in it pretty much tries to own it.
Cruises down the road at 80 way nicer than my truck

6 Likes