Argos 2021 Reports and Pictures

So Mike already posted the dirty picture of me.
On the way up here I was having problems with the gasifier plugging up. When I got here Thursday afternoon it was running 25-1 vacuum ratio on the rail to Hopper. Shaking the grate wasn’t cutting it. Bob Mackey and I went up to Ron’s place and we cleaned 6 gallons of char and ash out of the heat exchanger and cross over pipe. And I dumped another 7 gallons out if the lower drum below the grate. We also washed the hay filter and several pipes out really well. Now it is running 2.5 to 1 just great. I took Kevin for a ride and it tightened up to where it was supposed to be.
Now we are a just hanging out.
Well some of us are washing up. :grin::grin::grin:

9 Likes

I am really loving the pictures! Wish I was there. Hope you all have a great time and safe trips home!

5 Likes

Here is a video of Andy Heath’s attempt at smelting aluminum with woodgas. I ended up buying some pipe fittings to create a venturi to draw on the gasifier using compressed air through a copper tube with a pinched end to create a nozzle. We didn’t run it long enough to actually melt the metal.

6 Likes

Thanks for all the pictures and Reports, Wish I could have made it this year. Got new job and coulent plan on the trip, sure looks like you all haveing a nice weekend weather too relax and enjoy, along with the latest wood gas truck projects. Looking good enjoy the visits,and the new wood gas builders LEMONS & SMILES.I hope too make it next year with a wood powered truck.

5 Likes

Hi Steve, The supercharger is still a work in progress, I have gotten the truck to go only 50-55 mph, I was getting 60-65 mph before the blower was added. I am sure it will do better if I am able to figure out why. I have some Ideas to try and a lot of good suggestions this weekend . now all I need is the ambition and time to get it done. :slightly_smiling_face: :slightly_smiling_face:
One thing it doesnt lack is vacuum, it has tremendous amount of suction!!!

9 Likes

Many thanks Mike R and all of the ladies for all the planning and organizing and like always the great food .

10 Likes

Naomi and I got in about an hour ago. We had a slow ride home. We left out at midnight. the first 400 miles were on wood. I was having to clean the heat exchanger and dump out the bottom char boxes about every 100 miles/ every third fill-up. i switched over to gasoline and come on home so I wouldn’t be in real late because i have too get up early for work tomorrow and i didn’t sleep at all last night.
The charcoal and ash was starting to get to the point i was having to dump char every fill up and that is very taxing and takes about 15 minutes most of the time to find a place to dump red hot char where it won’t burn the corn fields down.
So the good thing about the driving part of this trip is i found a major problem with the gasifier.

The meetup was very fun. to me it seemed to be very much of a family reunion. It was very good to see everyone. I missed everyone who didn’t make it.
A big thanks to Mike for getting everything organized. And a big thanks to all the “Mama’s” that kept us feed and took care of us.

I have more pics i will post later.

9 Likes

A few pictures we took from Woodgas Reunion!

11 Likes

Good morning all .

The wife and I and her sister made it home just about dark last night .

Good smooth trip . More later after I get all my ducks in a row at home. :blush:

11 Likes

looked liked fun wished i could have been there

5 Likes

We missed you Randy and your guitar!

2 Likes

We are back home and safe and sound and wanted to thank the folks that makes the event possible. As usual the ladies had enough food to feed an army and was fit for a king. I seem to eat better here than any other time of the year.

A big thanks to the Lemlers as always. Thanks Ron for all the wood . What other event gives free motor fuel to participants. Thanks to Paul O’brin for all his work and participation .

My heros are Mike Reynolds and wife ! Thanks Mike for all the time and effort yall put in the event.

The ( don’t need lemons award ) goes to Mike and Bob driving from Washington State . So sorry for the breakdown and the thousands of miles of driving :disappointed_relieved:

Sorry I didn’t get my hand dirty with Jakob but still recovering from a hard fall and bum shoulder .

As far as the driving to Argos and back was uneventful . The truck seem to run great and speeds range from 60 to about 72 but most around the low 60s. At long hills I may go into hybrid mode to make sure I didn’t hold back any traffic. Going over Mont eagle mountain with 6 % grade and 5 miles is a good example of about a 50/50 mix of gasoline and wood.

Running my wood I would expect about 80 miles per hopper . On Ron Lemlers wood I could drive a 100 miles before fill ups .

Again thanks to all!!

IMG_1271

Pauls truck

IMG_1270

Rons truck

IMG_1269

My bucket of bolts

12 Likes

some have to take pictures While others work I don’t make the rules

12 Likes

When i was younger that is all I used. I don’t really remember why I stopped.

2 Likes

Bob and I driving the Camery batmobile made it to Lincoln NE (600 miles) last night.
Today drove 700 miles over the continental divide to Rock Springs WY. Had one brief but intense rainstorm where we confirmed that the drivers wiper has no rubber.
Mileage driving West into the wind has dropped to 39 mpg from 42 mpg going eastbound

Got a call at about 3 that the reman transmission won’t show up in Twin Falls until Wednesday. So we will probably stay another day herein Rock Springs as the hotel is cheaper, $80.
Then extend the rental car to Thursday…
We be having a great adventure!

15 Likes

thanks Don for the kind words

3 Likes

Hi Andy, I think why they could not transfer all my data all over was I do not use cloud data storage. I learn something new and it is good.
Bob

1 Like