Argos 2022 pics and vids

Boy I could tell they were driving a lot faster in this parade then in the pass. You need a tractor to lead the way. Lol. It was making you huff and puff trying to get to the new location spot to video. You did a Great job as always on videoing the parade Mike. Thank you for all your help on making this years 2022 Wood Gas Meet Up A Success.
Hopefully Mike G. and I , maybe even Marcus will be there next year to help you all out. Thanks again.
Bob

11 Likes

Wow Jakob it is always a adventure with you when you travel. Yes the fernco fittings can not take to much heat. But they are a lot cheaper then the silcone fittings. May be just use them closest connection to the hopper on top on the tubes.
Have a great day tomorrow. Thanks for the up date.
Bob

9 Likes

thank you for the video , I apologize for going so fast I didn’t realize how hard it was for Mike, Lisa, and all those on bicycles to keep up, sorry.

10 Likes

Wayne and Ron in font of Wayne’s truck
signal-2022-06-07-20-17-27-330
Ellie in her gasifier girl shirt.

Wayne and Ron in front of Ron’s truck
signal-2022-06-07-20-17-27-330-1
The drivers.
signal-2022-06-07-20-17-27-330-3
signal-2022-06-07-20-17-27-330-4
The group except a few taking pics
signal-2022-06-07-20-17-27-330-6

This is a picture of the entire group except for me who took the picture.
signal-2022-06-07-21-00-06-708

That is basically all the pics i have plus what i posted earlier. I am going to send a few of these group pics to the shirt printer and see what she says about them on a shirt. I will see what is possible, then we can have a vote on the options.

14 Likes

We might have to take that one again I think I blinked haha

8 Likes

Here is one for @danny1003481

12 Likes

Here are the notes I used for my short talk at Argos on the History of Woodgas that Billy talked me into giving. :smiley:

H I S T O R Y O F W O O D G A S

DEFINITION OF WOODGAS

Synthesis gas (also known as syngas) is a mixture of carbon monoxide (CO) and hydrogen (H2) that is used as a fuel gas but is produced from a wide range of carbonaceous feedstocks and is used to produce a wide range of chemicals.

Wood gas is a syngas fuel which can be used as a fuel for furnaces, stoves and internal combustion engines in vehicles in place of gasoline, diesel or other fuels.

DEFINITION OF INTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINE

An engine that generates motive power by the burning of fuel inside the engine,

In an internal combustion engine, the expansion of the high-temperature and high-pressure gases produced by combustion applies direct force to some component of the engine.This force moves the component over a distance, transforming chemical energy into kinetic energy which is used to propel, move or power whatever the engine is attached to

USING THE ABOVE DEFINITION, WHAT WAS THE FIRST INTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINE?

The firearm

WHAT CENTURY WAS THE FIRST INTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINE USED?

The Chinese Heilongjiang hand cannon or hand-gun[a] is a bronze hand cannon[1] manufactured no later than 1288 and is the world’s oldest confirmed surviving firearm.

Processed charcoal is one of the main ingredients of firearm powder which makes the firearm the first woodgas engine
Around 200 BC, the Chinese unintentionally invented firecrackers by tossing bamboo into the fire that would explode with a bang because of the overheating of the hollow air pockets in the bamboo, but it took another thousand years before true fireworks came alive. As the story goes, around 800 AD, an alchemist mixed sulfur, charcoal, and potassium nitrate (a food preservative) hoping to find the secret to eternal life. (I wonder if he found eternal life by blowing himself up?)

WHO BUILT THE FIRST WOOD GASIFIER

The first wood gasifier was apparently built by Gustav Bischof in 1839.
Gustav was a German chemist and he was interested mainly in the chemical composition of woodgas and not really interested in making woodgas do work, but because of his work large parts of London had gas lights using his technology.
By 1850 an industry had grown up using “heat gasifiers” to make “producer gas,” mainly from coal to supply the gas lights of London.
In about 1881, producer gas was used for the first time to power an internal combustion engine. Historically, the first motor vehicle powered by woodgas was built by Tomas Hugh Parker in 1901.

By the 1920s, producer gas systems for operating stationary engines as well as trucks, tractors and automobiles were demonstrated in Europe and elsewhere.

Woodgas use hit its peak during World War II when liquid fuels were scarce because of the war effort.
In 1942 there were about 73,000 producer gas vehicles in Sweden, 65,000 in France, 10,000 in Denmark, 9,000 in both Austria and Norway and almost 8,000 in Switzerland. Finland had 43,000 “woodmobiles” in 1944 of which 30,000 were buses and trucks,7,000 private vehicles, 4,000 tractors and 600 boats. Australia had 72,000 vehicles running on woodgas. Altogether there were more than a million producer gas vehicles used during World War Two.

After the war, with gasoline again available, woodgas use almost instantly fell into oblivion. By 1950 only about 20,000 woodgas vehicles were still in use.

Wood (bio mass) gasifiers re-emerged again in the 1970’s era fuel crisis. By the early 1980”s, more than 15 manufacturers (mainly in Europe and North America) were offering wood and charcoal gasifiers as electrical power plants with power capacities from 50 to 250 kilowatts along with a few scattered private tinkerers who built their own systems.

In the mid 1980’s articles of woodgas powered motor vehicles appeared in Mother Earth News Magazine. Such articles and publications by Mother Earth News are primarily responsible for the current interest in woodgas in the USA this many years later.

As of 2020 we have had 190 years of wood and coal gas technology who’s use has been mainly suppressed from the publics knowledge here in the United States.

Thanks to DRIVE-ON-WOOD and a few other entities for keeping this technology alive.

The above information was gleaned from various world wide web sources.

QUESTIONS AND DISCUSSION TIME.

21 Likes

@Chris , @Wayne This paper needs to be up fround in the indroduction part to DOW, for people to read.
Thank you Don for posting this very informative paper on the histroy of Gasification and producer gas.
Bob

15 Likes

Very interesting paper you gathered Don/ I second what bob said , this should be at the beginning of DOW- too help new people too wood gas , get a much better understanding about wood gas.>and discussions,

11 Likes

Thank you for the history
I agree that this should be in the introduction

8 Likes

Uploading: 44A665CE-BC31-42FD-9804-E05FE3DC3D7A.jpeg…
Uploading: C92685CE-8FA9-4F9C-883B-BEEC6605F1A8.jpeg…
Uploading: 339017E6-A084-4374-9066-33763F72E6C7.jpeg…
Processing: 32A14751-D1F7-453C-AD42-68C8618B395D.jpeg…
Uploading: DE6E38E7-D54A-4E71-BEEA-A95EEED090B8.jpeg…