Asparagus and other wild edibles

Concerning Pepe’s White Harvest Seed Company:

I checked this company out. They are close enough to me that I think I will try them too. Pepe, make sure to let us know how the beans turn out.

What kind of strawberries do you have? They look like an Early Glow or something else small and sweet. Those are my favorite for eating. But too soft to sell. We have to grow those plastic ones for market if we want to sell them. We sorta gave up the market berries two years ago after we figured out our best picker (Naomi) was allergic to strawberry plants. SHe can eat berries, but is allergic to the plants. Go figure.

As far as I know all squash and pumpkin will cross… Sometimes though, the seed will not work after a generation or two. But not always. In fact, my favorite pumpkin/winter squash is a cross between a birdhouse gourd and a green speckled squash that kinda reminds me of a watermelon from the outside. I don’t know if the squash has a name or if so, what it is.

1 Like

Hi Billy,
I’m searching for a receipt hoping to get the strawberry variety. I bought them in Hemmingford, Quebec as hanging baskets years ago. I know I had paperwork from the nursery, so I could bring them through Customs into the States.
I’ll check out the Early Glow, but the name doesn’t ring a bell…yet.

2 Likes

Yes but you shouldn’t see anything in the fruit unless you use your own seeds from the crossed fruit the year before. My grandfather always tossed the squash that rotted off the back of the garden and we always had some odd crosses back there the following year. I raise several different types of squash every year and never have problems but I don’t keep my own seeds. I think bees can cross pollinate for something like a mile anyway so your neighbors could easily cause your seeds to be crosses.

With squash and punkins there are 3 families each family can only cross within its own group. But I don’t remember how you tell which squash and punkins are in which family.

3 Likes

Early glow are an early berry, whereas the ones I’m growing fruit continuously, so they’re not Early Glow.

1 Like

Yes, sorry Jim, I wasn’t clear enough about the squash. they will cross but the plant your seed came from had to be cross pollinated. If you have a cross it is because the seed you planted this year is the result of a cross, not because the flower this year was pollinated as a cross…I’ve had crookneck yellow squash & white patty pan come from seed company as “dirty” seed that way. … I didn’t know that about the 3 families of squash…Thanks Dan

1 Like

The seed was bought at Lowes this year, pack says non gmo.

I bet they where burpee seeds that is what they carry here and I have had bad luck with them. I have seen them not come true to specie like your seeing. I buy Jungseeds right from their online store now with great results. I have used them for most all of my garden for the last few years they are all GMO free seeds at Jungseeds. I do hunt around for a few odd things they don’t carry but they have all the common stuff.

1 Like

I’ve used Burpee—I don’t recall why I dont use them more. Jung has a good seed in my experience. I use Berlin Seeds as much as I can, but they don’t have everything I grow. Good Mennonite bunch.
For accuracy and professionalism Harris is good, but they are big business—no family owned ideas there. It’s the only place I have found to get my market radishes.
We basically have to grow two different kinds of gardens. one to sell and one to eat. Market vegetables have to be perfect in looks etc. The better eating varieties tend to be more fragile for marketing. Hence diminishing diversifacation.

3 Likes

A bit out od the flow going here but I wanted to report on a new-to-me book I found at the local pulic liberary and been reading:
“A Brief History of Gardening” by Niel Fairbairn 2001 published by Rodale Organic Living Books.
An expensive hard cover book. One to check-out versus buy.
The writer is an English-American so his “brief” is a bit self-depreciating. He is time-line covering from ~40,000 BCE to 2001.
He parallels lays out the near simultaneous development of human agriculture/gardening works around the globe. Does this mostly in time-lines segments with pictures and 20-30 word texts/explains. His time-lines shows a few social, religious, cultural and even technology leaps as a reference.
Ha! A prooof-book about my asretation the we humans been modifying the face/weather/ and even climate of this blue-green ball long before dino-fuels of fossil coal use, petroleum and natural gas.
Lots of agricultural Saints, Sinners, short-sighted, overoptimistic saviors named in this history.
Most names you will recognize. But now put into place with thier peers and time frame. Jonney Appleseed was a soap-box evangelist?
And some lost in histories dust bin significant people:
1840’s German chemist Justus von Liebig advocating that soil productivity could be “manures” de-mystified into simple chemistry controllable science. Right, but wrong, too incomplete. Decades later publishing professor of horticulture Liberty Hyde Bailey as advocating a combined respect and reverence in soil science, husbandry in blood. sweat and toil as the “deep ecology” way.
He was labeled a contrarian as pleasing neither right-way/wrong-way side.
Ha! Sound like me.
Always willing to hybridize my beliefs and Doing systems.
Us pick and choose folks as the best results getters, with costs of getting those results accounting.
In my own humble opinion of course.

Back into the currents talk of Amercanseeds company suppliers:
“A Surfeit of Seeds” page 172. Started as the 1800 New York state Shakers packaging , distributing out by wagon, mail getting market very over-saturated confusing by the post war late 1860’s with rail-road mail-order delivery of a thousand different suppliers with 10’s of thousands of varieties. The Internet info over-saturation of today.
Some of the companies/suppiers you’all named are the survivors from that time.
Me?
I use regional recommendation Territorial Seeds.
With exceptions. Peanut squash is working alright for us here.
J-I-C Steve unruh

1 Like

Here’s another update on the wild leek seed development. The flowers have developed into circular seed heads. I’m not sure if these little orbs are single seeds or will be filled with little seeds, but this is what they look like today.

5 Likes

Hi Pepe!

I have a question on those bouncing onions. What do you do with them in winter? Shuld l cut them all or let them be?
Last year rabbits ate them to the ground and they came out in spring butifull, shuld l copy this?
Althugh its likely the rabbits will return, l grow them freerange so they eat anything that resembles green in winter :smile:

1 Like

Hi Kristijan,
I have never cut my bunching onions back, just left them to freeze. I have never lost any to the weather. I also have never lost them to the rabbits or any other animals. I’d have to say they are almost indestructible. I have had these same plants for 20 or so years. Picking some off every clump and letting the ones left in the clump to divide for next years harvest. I do love rabbit stew served with creamed onions :yum:

3 Likes

Thank you!
Ha, l prefer them roasted whole and stuffed with bread/bacon/onion filling. Jummy.

3 Likes

I don’t know which variety you have, but all that I have ever had were virtually impossible to kill. I don’t know how they do in extreme cold though, I have no experience with that. Eqyptian nesting onions are even tougher than the average…

3 Likes

Hey All,
The variety I have are named Egyptian Walking Onions. This comes from their growth habit. A clump of small plants develop at the top of the stems. Then they fall over and those new plants take root however far they fell from the original plant. Thus, they “walk” away from the original. They are rated zones 3 through 9 and are just about impossible to kill by the weather.
Check them out here. Egyptian Walking Onion. Order yours today and have onion seed for a lifetime.
Pepe

I found the official name for them is Allium Proliferum, zones 3-9.

3 Likes

Kristijan, that sounds like like the taste treat for my next rabbit.

1 Like

Those walking onions are what l look for for the last year, l always find just the ordinary seed ones. Oh well… they are great too.

Ha, funny thing happend this morning. As l typed about that stuffed rabbit, l saw my favorite hare and a young male (who l know is her ofspring) wanted to mate with her. I dont like that for bloodline purity so l took my bow ang guess whats for lunch tomorow :wink:
first one this year.

7 Likes

Him or her? ? ? ? ? ?

1 Like

Him ofcorse. She is on a “pet” list and will never be killed by me or my family. She arned it with giveing me about 40 young rabbits this year, growing now freerange for a nice roast or stew :slight_smile:

5 Likes

How do keep them from eating your garden plants? Wild rabbits here are good at even sneaking through my fences.

3 Likes