Asparagus and other wild edibles

Well, l have a fence in my small tomato garden and the other two are far enough from the house. They never leave property.

They only ate 3 things this year. The bouching onion patch, a tomato fruit and a chilli bush. The chilli bush was interasting. The rabbit started on low leafes and worked his way up, untill he got to the chilli. I only saw a litle toothmark on the pepper, and looks like the bunny suddenly changed his mimd on eating it :smile:

10 Likes

Well, I couldn’t wait, I had to do some exploratory surgery. So far it appears that each of the orbs will indeed be a single seed.
Pepe

02 AM

Note how the white part is attached to the stem portion on the right of the split orb. However, only time will tell if there is a further seed (s) development within the orbs.

5 Likes

Does anyone happen to know what this is?

1 Like

Is it this?

1 Like

Yup, that’s the guy! Thanks!

1 Like

All my reading says they are edible and make a great jelly.
Here’s how:
http://hogtownhomegrown.com/Newsletter%20Recipes/Beautyberry%20Jelly.html

2 Likes

Very cool, thank you so much. My neighbor and I were wondering, we know the deer love them! I have a bunch growing in the back.

I chew the American Beautyberrys, the purple berries, as a fresh picked snack, but like wild black berries, there is a certain time, if too early they will be rather harsh & easily spit out. But if ya wait on them, they sometimes will ripen & taste just like a Sweetart candy. Now that isn’t always true tho,…some years they just don’t taste good no matter how long ya wait~~~just saying.

I have quite a few of the wild bushes around my place, they are easily transplanted, & some say: ‘they don’t mind being pruned hard, because they prefer to grow from new stems’. I transplanted this one a few years ago, I never did prune it & it is producing well this year also.

5 Likes

looks like that rabbit already got all the berries off of that one. I think he’s waiting on the tomatoes now.

6 Likes

I have been researching these beautyberry trees. Turns out they should grow quite well here in ALabama. They seem vaguely familiar, but I can’t really rememebr where I have seen them. Maybe in FL. Maybe in landscapes. Anyway, I am going to try to find some and get them planted around here as another wild fruit…Thanks.

3 Likes

If your out foraging in the woods, the purple berry clusters is about the only easy way to ID them for sure, from now till another month or two…unless the varmits strip the berries off first, but that don’t happen too quick. Mine are just now beginning to turn purple, the Houston guy is ahead of me by at least two weeks, Kentucky people will be behind me by a couple weeks.

Catching them when they are flowering is difficult, although the flower is beautiful, it is small and barely noticeable. I just like having the native stuff around because it is easy to thrive, it grows well in partial shade, and the berries make a nice autumn splash of color. Here is a good pix of the flowers, earlier this year.

I can send ya a small handful of seed, from last year… or wait a couple months for this years seed…yanno if you can’t find some seed on your own. I never tried growing them from seed, but it looks like you or at least one of those kids haz an ability that way Billy.

2 Likes

On post #196 here dated Jul 1, I started my Jade green beans.
Here on Aug 20 they are blooming like crazy. Taste test coming up soon!
Pepe

6 Likes

I think I can find it. It looks familiar. Thanks though. If I can’t find it I’ll let you know.

I’m telling you, they’re the best. Ours are finished. i’m a little green like the beans you have there.

1 Like

Hey Everyone,
Following up on post 222, the seed development of the wild leeks. Indeed each orb becomes a separate seed. As the seed develops to maturity the casing splits and the seed drops to the ground. I’m not sure if the seed then sprouts or “hibernates” until the warmth of spring. I’ll keep an eye on them and let you know.
Pepe

6 Likes

You should save a few seeds so you can replant next year incase the winter is too hard on the plants.

In the 40+ winters I’ve been here, there have always been “wild leeks” in the spring, so I’m not real concerned about hard winter. What I will do is put a piece of cheese cloth around the bases of a couple of stems and “harvest” their seeds. I’ll use them to seed another patch or two. The temptation is to just barely bury the seeds. They fall on the ground and are only covered by autumn leaves. Perhaps I should just dribble them in circles and leave them to nature. I’ll monitor that and we’ll see what happens.

6 Likes

That sounds like elderberries here at the farm. I joke that they come up like weeds.

1 Like

I did some reading on elderberries and they are edible and have some very interesting uses.

2 Likes

Yup elderberries jelly is really yummy one of my favorites. That is why I joke that they are like weeds here because most people really try hard to grow them.

1 Like