Bee smoker torch

I have a bee smoker with a 3inch inside diameter that I have used to create a small amount of wood gas that sustained a decent flame for about 10sec at a time. My plan is to add a large tube for fuel holding and a 3/8 copper tube for the wood gas to escape. My ultimate hope is to have a two hand wood gas torch that I could attack to a cyclone filter in future. Is there a short filter I could use to clean the gas or would having a long windy copper pipe do the trick? Suggestions for how to improve this are greatly appreciated.

3 Likes

Ethan,
What you have built / done is an interesting experiment. It has taught you woodgas can be harnessed to do work. I believe you should dive into the deep waters of the information on this website and forum and see what is interesting to you, what your goal is, and proceed accordingly! Many formulas for success here, you don’t have to re-invent the gasifier.
Welcome! :cowboy_hat_face:

5 Likes

I can’t reinvent the gasifier but I will invent the wood gas flamethrower. Thanks for responding to my message I’ve looked at a couple of threads that have helped, nothing perfect but it’s hard to find answers to unfinished questions.

2 Likes

Hi, Ethan. A flamethrower needs fuel, and quite a lot of that. You could use charcoal, hardwood pellets, (as used in pellet stoves), wood chips if they are dry enough. If you are making flames, you will not need a filter!

1 Like

Hi Ethan, check out this bee smoker gasifer experiment:
Running a Gasoline Engine on Firewood | Woodgas Biofuel

1 Like

The above link I posted is now throwing an error. Perhaps this one will work better: youtube.com/watch?v=522BaxM0Jnk

2 Likes