Bill S chunker

we have a few motors in the industry that are AC 3 phase motors however we are sending simulated sine wave DC to them with large (or small) Lenze drives. They are also all linked to a DC bus that eventually charges a capacitor bank that powers quite a few pulsing 60KW servos. The DC bus will send power when the motors obviously are coasting in generator mode. It is a very cool thing to see run. Lots of power.

2 Likes

This afternoon I became a believer in full size wood chunkers. At Argos I was given 3 bags of Bill’s wood that he ran through his chunker and some of the pieces were larger that I normally use in my 10 inch firetube. I thought I would have to take a hatchet to them until I realized that I could break them apart with my hands. Those big chunkers really mutilate the chunks and create many cracks that will help in drying the chunks out.

5 Likes

I agree Don, just ran some of that stuff from BillS in my unit. It crumbles away, which is great. also helps with bridging.

1 Like

Them some nice big chunker,and drive anursha pullys,Are them called new hollon square baler,primary gear box ? Thanks

1 Like

Hey Don, Joseph, Kevin thank you for directing this back to practical useable discussion.

Sean I have no interest in embarsasing you with your obviously very inexperienced beliefs. Go out and stall load, and watts starve enough of all types of electric motors to “burn-stink” learn that AC, DC, brush type, brushless type all bow to “counter electromagnetic force” realities that is engineered into properly selected and used electric motors.
Burn up a few skillsaws. Burn up a few deep well pumps. To learn this cheap.
Burn to learn on the job will loose you that job! Guaran-damn-tee you.

BillS and I have have directly corresponded for a few years now on his projects.
He knows what I use and recommend for these kinds of projects.
1600 watt AC output Redi-Line brand of 12volt DC input co- axizl wound pm motor-generator converters.
30+ years of proven usage in hard commercial all climate useages. Well able to start up real use working electric motors of all types with a 2x surge wattage.
Still available NEW for under $2K USD. $200 - $800 used USD. Craigs list and E-bay. (Ha! Some stolen so do not ask sources)
Only the long lifed brushes ever wear out. Occasionally the 40 watt load sensing electronic turn on-off electronic controller will go bad. Deep six that then for a cheap twist clock timer switch and just keep on walk away generating.
Spares? Set of brushes. A couple of constant duty solenoids.
Real Smart. A second, third complete unit like I have.

" Only one deep of anything really needed is just one step away from having no capabilty. A back-up second capability: once the first is lost and the second back-up put into primary use then you are back to square one. Double redundancy gives you time to get that first in-use, repaired, or replaced"

Past three levels (double redundancy) . . . well that is just impractical anal.
The resources squandered then means you will be without somewhere on something else needful for true Praticals living. Yes Verginia a felolw can certainly have too many guns and too much ammo when he cannot then afford to keep the lights on and the refrigerators refrigerating! His only recourse then is to become the steal it grasshopper scum.
You answered this BillS with three different ways able to potentially generate now. Willing to burn up sacrifice the least capable as a hands-on learning tool.
Much respect. Keep it up man. Talk, and Net quoting is cheap. And worth just what it costs. Cheap and not practical use-proven. Intellectualizing itch-scratch jabber.
Proven results are always expensive. And worth every thing payed to get it.
Steve Unruh

1 Like

I moved 3 posts to a new topic: Super-capacitor generator setup

That there bills chunker is nice setup ,just like chris s and and gary,gear boxes with big shafts, I know i need a chunker up here in northern USA,just too speed up drying time.I dont have cash flow for big electric motors,so I will use about 10=20 horse gas engine running on wood,probly the later 20 plus horse to be able too run wood chunk gasifier. Or is 20 horse too small for 7" WK ? THANKS

1 Like

I have been up at the property since Saturday so haven’t been available to check on DOW.
@don_mannes & @josephhauler, thanks for getting back to me about those wood chunks. That’s real encouraging for me. Question, did you two run the chunks that were green at Argos? If that’s the case, they dried pretty quick.
Don, do you think you had to break them up before going in your hopper or would they fall apart enough not to bridge? I’m asking because I have a 6" fire tube. No matter, I can try it.
Thanks for the update.

2 Likes

I’m not sure they would fall apart as fast as I would want them to, but they might when dry. They were wet in the bags when I broke them apart. All I know is that my buzz saw rounds need to be split with a hatchet to get them to the size I need while yours I could break by hand.

2 Likes

When I got home I threw them out on my wood pile for about 2 days of sun, they were pretty dry after that. I just used them to run up into town and back about a 14 mile trip, they ran good.

2 Likes

Here Don, I took a picture for you to explain to others what you mean.

8 Likes

Thanks Bill, that is what I was trying to explain. It pulls apart by hand really easy. Maybe I wouldn’t need to even pull it apart.

4 Likes

Bill. What is the size of the bed on your chunker? Did you increase the length to allow for all your different power attachments that Chris didn’t have on his yet?

2 Likes

Tom,
I made this trailer with the same dimensions as Chris’.

1 Like

Bill, last Spring you got an 1800 watt PMG generator/inverter. In the past week you mentioned that several of your Ryobi digital inverter generators had failed. What is the status of the generator you had hooked up with your chunker?

4 Likes

It is under a foot and a half of snow behind the storage containers.
Currently I am cutting the trees away from the road that got weighted down by the snow. So far 2 of the 3 miles are clear. The trees tore out my lights that are mounted on the plow and stripped out both windshield wipers.

6 Likes

Hi bill Thanks for posting your chunker designs, I was wondering if you had got many hours chunking on those lawn mower belts. just curios how long they are lasting, they are much cheaper than auto type belts i think, ?

2 Likes

I have only used this chunker for about a total of 10 hrs. Since moving onto raw land, I haven’t had time do anything related to wood gas. Hopefully I will be able to soon. I used lawnmower belts because of their length. I would imagine they’ll hold up for a long time. They were about $30/ea.

1 Like

Ok thanks for replys, i bought 2- 79" by 1/2" for $20.03 at jason INDUSTRIAL at ebay, type for probbly mower deck.A77- L4 type. medium duty belts. see how they hold out next week. THANKS.

3 Likes

The surplus center has a large V-belt selection and their catalog, if I recall correctly, has belt information in it. I doubt if they have automobile belts but I could be wrong.

3 Likes