Bill S chunker

cool bill the chunkers do cut the labor down buuut you might find more issues running .I mean lots of fine broken up ash plugging half to light from bellow more often events. my chainsaw set up had less problems more labor but more consistent size im still chunkin arm is tired

1 Like

Thanks Paul.
Terry, I still have some work to do on this before I pull it out of the garage for a real test. I will then make a video. I just wanted to see if there were problems that needing tending to with the cutter. I am very pleased with the results. I have to hook up the lights and fenders next.

1 Like

come on bill you don’t need no stinken lights or fenders call it character come on that’s funny getting it done priceless.

2 Likes

Bill as I have said. Looking good. On your shear edge, it looks like a nice taper up until the last inch. Then it steps off rapidly. You have a line scribed to cut it 'til it blends in with the edge. Did you make the step for some reason?

Also pay attention to the tongue weight of your trailer. Looks like the fly wheel is centered, but everything else is behind the axle.

I like the size chunks your are making-- if you get too many I can use that size.TomC

1 Like

Great proof run, Bill. You’re good to go now.

1 Like

Looks good Bill, what HP is the motor & what RPM is the motor.
Bill make sure the ring gear shaft has zero clearance,remove shims on the opisite end of the cutter so as to stop side movement of the cutting edge.
Calvin…

Tom,
The drum is 8" deep and I cut a 5 1/2"x4" window for an opening and drew a line. After talking to Chris and him telling me he thinks his should be bigger, I took that info an made this bigger. The actual shear line is more gradual than the the line I previously had drawn. Without any wood chunking experience, I’m thinking the gradual line will be easier on the chunker. I think the opening is adequate for the rpms the drum is moving which I think is 65-70 rpm.
I only tacked the axle on because I wasn’t sure of the weight distribution. That is one of the next things to do.
Because I’m building a truck and have the mini WK all the wood will be useful. I will just bag up the small pieces separately. Once I build a solar dryer and have usable fuel, I hope to have enough that if you or anyone happens to drive through Minnesota, they can fill up here.

I could leave this the way it is and call good Paul. I also like the option to drag it behind the truck as well. I may even bring it to Argos along with a trailer of branches that Chris and I can chunk up while we are there.
Do you have a link to a video of how your chainsaw set up works? I like having options.

Thanks Calvin.
It is a 5hp air compressor motor that spins at 3450 rpm.
Can you explain what you mean about the ring gear shaft having zero clearance for me? I’m also not clear by what you mean about shims or where they’re at.

Thanks Carl. I will feel more comfortable building my truck knowing I can feed it.

Bill, that statement brought back unpleasant memories for me. Back in the early 70’s we switched from hammers to nail guns for framing houses so I got an old utility box off a “telephone truck” and built a trailer with compartments for guns, nails hoses and compressors. I also tacked the axle to check how it would trail and then forgot about it - UNTIL one day the tack broke one one side and rolled the tire under the box, flipping the entire trailer on its top with the compartment doors open and nails and guns strewn everywhere. I thought I was too young to forget stuff back then but I wasn’t. Tie a string around your finger!!

3 Likes

Good morning Mr. Bill

Thanks for the video and pictures, Looking good :yum:

Don

I try to mentally block a lot of my late 60s and early 70s experiences :fearful:

2 Likes

Thanks for the words Don and Wayne.
Don, I’m really good at forgetting but that tacked axle has been on my mind since I did it. I’ve had bad visions of what could happen if I did forget about just to keep it fresh. Hahaha

I went out to the garage and the chunker was begging for some wood to be fed into it. So I thought this to be a good opportunity to make a video for @Terry_Lavictoire.
Notice that gear I tapped on to the other output shaft? I left it on there to keep the creativity brewing. I feel I can drop a chain to a shaft that can run under the chunker frame and then to the front of the trailer. I wonder if a guy can find an old conveyor at the tractor salvage yard? Just thinking out loud.

11 Likes

making me want to build one more and more. Been cutting wood on a damn band-saw.

1 Like

Joseph,
I am now really glad I invested this time and money to this build. One thing I learned today is if I keep pressure on the branch after it’s cut, I can get another decent bite rather than timing the revolution. I’m going to try some dry Oak and see how it handles it.

1 Like

Howdy Bill,
Looks great!!!
Really happy for ya, good to see your progression.
One word of caution before ya try the big dry stuff… Ya may want to take a good look around it and add any re-enforcements now (if any) much easier now, than straitening twisted metal.
Again it looks real good! If it were mine I’d put it in the front yard! :smile:
TerryL

2 Likes

Thank Terry.
Too late, I already took a chunk of 3 x 3.5" chunk of seasoned Oak and it ate it right up. It didn’t even slow the motor down at all. I won’t be making a habit of that but I had to test it. I will be sticking to green wood from now on.
It will be in the front yard at it’s next location. :smile:

1 Like

Bill

I think it is a keeper !!

1 Like

Thank you Wayne.
This site has saved me years of trial and error. I am certain this will be able to produce miles of smiles.