Bill Schiller's gasifier project

Hi Bill, It looks like you are having fun. It was ONLY 10 below here this morning … Mike

Yeah Mike, I’m about ready for the fun to be over. Tomorrow we will be breaking a cold record set back in the 1800’s. We should be getting the Harleys prepped or even on the road by now. I tried to hire some more guys but am not getting much response. I hired one guy and he worked one day and then was a no call no show the next. I suppose free money is better than working for it.

Brrrrrrrrrrr … I just set a TV up in my trailer …I can only get one channel so far but it is the one I want with gunsmoke on it … I need to get a 4bay uhf for this place. Right now I have some blasting wire in the window facing Madison. It’s 40 inside here. Hard to type … I need to head to the house and make some spaghetti … starch starch starch … Good luck on your end !!! Mike

I have had no time to work on my gasifier because all the time work is taking up. I’m anticipating to get caught up in a week or so.
So here’s what I’ve done. After reading posts of thin barrels, I’ve realized the one’s I planned on using are even more thin. It concerns me to put all this time in on this project to just have it deteriorate in a short while. So I picked up some 14 gauge steel and rod to make the bottom and hopper for my unit. My son in law has a metal shop and will fabricate the bottom of the unit lime this picture. I will roll the top and rod to the correct diameter of the original barrel size. This way I can attach it the same way as a barrel with the ring clamps. The bottom as you can see will sweep to one side for easy cleaning. Or so my theory goes. It will be sealed up with a 4" clean out.

Good going Bill! I’ve been hoping someone would try making a barrel substitute. Details on your lip rolling process would be appreciated.

Just my opinion, I think you’d be better off with a flat bottom. You’ll come to appreciate the extra ash storage. Side cleanout isn’t so hard.

Howdy Bill,
One thing you will want be careful of is the grate and the angled piece… Allow lots of clearance, or you will emptying it very often.
Mine has a longer burn tube 19.5 inches in a Dakota, It was built for a full size RAM.
So the clearance is too tight. About 2.5" at the angled area for frame.
All the best
TerryL

Thanks Chris, you right on the ash storage. If this works out then I can make any size barrel or configuration I need after I learn how much ash I produce in a certain period of time. I want to put this small unit on a small trailer, so having it discharge to one side may be advantageous.
Instead of rolling a lip, I am welding a rod around the rim that will fit the rim.

OK, that makes sense. Welding a rod around there is ingenious. I really want to try that now.

1 Like

Hi Chris
The rod works really well, the secret is to get it perfectly round!
I found an old truck rim it was about 10 cm smaller in diameter, which worked well as the 10mm 3/8 rod will spring open the bend more than the circumference and then cut both rod where they cross, you can bend them open a little to get the right circumference, then weld a piece of sheet metal on the inside of the rod, or it will interfere with the clamp. Works like a charm.
Thanks Patrick

Maybe lay the circular rod (now it’s a ring, right?) right into the lid’s flange that is the same size as the barrel that you are going to replicate. (Upside down, of course) Then sit your rolled cylinder on top of the ring and tack it in place to the cylinder.

I just brought home a 36" slip roller, so I am starting to think about such things myself. This one is an old Niagra with 2" rolls. Last August I paid $100 for a 36" X 3" roller that wasn’t a slip roll. Now I can go both ways.
I don’t think I’d try to make a very long 14 gage tube on the 2" slip roll, but how long of a cylinder could I make in 16 gage?

Pete Stanaitis

1 Like

Hi Pete,
Just curious if you rolled any sheet metal with you slip rollers. From my understanding, the two inch rollers are good up to 20ga steel? What did you find with the 3" rollers? I would love to find a 3" roller for $100.

1 Like