Blowers used for the gasifiers

I never knew i was always wrong with using venturi effect … :grin:

2 Likes

I still dont get the difference :grin:

1 Like

Hi Matt, I like your idea and use of the pusher blower. Any videos?

1 Like
3 Likes

Nice. Thanks for the video Matt. I looked it up on youtube to watch later.

1 Like

I think someone asked about the suction power of smog pumps. I have one off of who knows what vehicle that needs about 40 amps so I have a 60 amp pwm for it. I just now powered it directly to a 12v battery and it pulled enough to peg my 40 inches water column gauge. The needle was slowing down as it passed 40 then gently pegged at what would be about 42 inches. I also like the 18 volt makita blowers that have plenty of power running on 12v with pwm. The makita needs maybe 8 amps.

3 Likes

Hi Bruce. I see and understand the Mikita blower but the smog pump completely baffles me. I thought smog pumps were about 5" in diameter and 5" long and had a pulley that ran off the engine. They pumped air through about 1/4" tubing into each individual cylinder. The thing you are showing has its own motor and it looks like 3/4 to 1" ports. ??? TomC

2 Likes

Tom,
Google search smog pump images and you will see the kind of pump you have in mind. Google search electric smog pump images and you will see my kind of pump.

3 Likes

Hi TomC
The designs trends after the mid-1990’s was to step by step have everything computor-controllable-by-wire.
Yes. Air-Injection-Reaction pumps got their own electric motors.
Now pulse width controled electric fuel pumps. Electric motor driven power steering pumps; or, direct PM motor no-hydraulic power streering.
Newest trending is toward variable controllable electric motor driven oil pumps and water(coolant) pumps.
S.U.

2 Likes

Hi Bruce,

I have seen 2 kinds of smog pumps so far, 1 the turbine type with a normal impeller, and 2 the ring blower type, ( i think that is the prefered from Matt )

For suction you need to ensure that the blower is “gas tight”
The makita isn’t. it takes secondary air thru its motor compartiment for cooling

1 Like

This Makita has a vacuum attachment and pulls 9 inches of water column on 12v. When used for suction there is a slight positive air flow at the motor vents and they do not affect the vacuum.

1 Like

Hi Bruce,

as long the motor compartment is sealed from the “blower” side it might be safe. But if air mixed with gas come near the brushes from the DC motor… you might have a early flare up :grin: ( been there, done that )

1 Like

Thanks for the replys on smog pumps koen and bruce southerland . that gave me a new outlook of smog pumps. What size gasifier did the pump peg the gauge on bruce S.

1 Like

Kevin,
The smog pump is not on a gasifier. This is the a direct hookup bench test.

1 Like

Ok thanks for the update on the testing bruce. This questain is a little off coarse but is there a pump size too the least amp draw for a plasma cutter, my plasma cutter as most others dont have on board or built in air pump,looking for some guild lines too build from, or salvage pumps that would be simular too the plasma cutters with on board air supply ? .Thanks too anyone with spec.,s on pump types for those onboard pumps.

1 Like

Thank you for the update. The blower type air pumps are kind of pricey compared to my old Kirby vacuum, but being able to run off from 12 volts is a big plus. 10 or 12 years ago I spent way too much time trying to develop a blower that would run off from a heater fan motor. At the time I think GEK was even trying to get something built in Europe special for gasifiers. I don’t know why no one thought of the motorized smog pumps. I still have one of the driven type laying under my bench, that I thought might work. At that time, Mr. Wayne was running superchargers. TomC

2 Likes

I wondered this reason, I think we all miss some things because no is trying new things; we just automaticaly default to thinking it probably wont work because some has had to try it right? haha, well I decided to bight the bullet and try one and it works for the way we are using them. However, i do not know how well or if these will hold up to direct contact to the gas. But try the junk yard to find these pumps on the cheap and my advise is to run an ejector like you would run with an air compressor. These pumps are more than enough to drive them and are less passive then any blower I have ever seen so far. We used to build our own blowers and indeed this alone was one of the harder things to develop. We used a seald motor, modified leaf blower impeller to fit and design a special housing to fit. Parts wise we had around 30 bucks into them, but that blower housing was pain to manufacture and required the use of grind to cut the outlet pipe to the contour of the housing so that it did not interfere with the impeller. This is a safety issue I need to try and use those grinders as littel as possible in our manufacturing. So the injectro pumps are the fix for us in many ways :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Matt, could show a picture of electric smog pump and ejector set up that you use? Thanks.
Bob

1 Like

here is a video you can watch. I show this flared in both modes you can skip the first part of the video.

Here is a link to amazon and pump we have used successfully.

3 Likes

Amazing human engineering with only their hands and dirt! Watch carefully at 1.07.07 for hands activated blowers.

3 Likes