Browser issues

Some users have reported problems seeing pictures on the site. So I’m asking for your feedback.

Can you see the following picture? If not, which browser are you using, and what version? Is anyone using Internet Explorer 8 having issues?

It might be a good time to upgrade to IE9. You can also switch to Firefox or Google Chrome. I will try to pinpoint the problem and fix it for IE8 as well.

Hello Bruce, Mike, Greg, Steve, David, Doug, Ron L, John and anyone I may have missed.

I have been for several years trying to shake loose so we could go full bore on the gasification. Hopefully by mid summer I can catch my breath and dive right in.
BBB
Wayne

1 Like

Hello Wayne,

My first wife did just that to me about the same time that picture was taken. I use Firefox 3.6 and all the pictures are working fine.

Bruce

Thought I would just pass on to you, if it helps at all in admin role. Im using Opera 11.6 and so far not so much as a burp.
The pages layout nicely and its a pure pleasure to read.

That is good news. Is anyone running Linux? Wondering how it works on there.

I’m running a Linux distribution with Firefox 11.0 and I can see all of the pictures just fine. The layout looks flawless, too.

Thanks JakeSnake, that’s good to hear. It should be fine on any modern HTML5 CSS3 compliant browser, cross-platform etc. It’s a website, not a software app. But there are quirks sometimes… I just learned that XP users can’t upgrade to IE9, they have to be running Windows Vista/7. This is a crying shame, and I know of several bugs on this site using IE8. To those users (a major percent of you) I can only suggest Firefox or Google Chrome. Either will work fine.

Chris, the latest trip report picture and featured project picture on the home page appear to be huge on my browser. First time I’ve experienced any problems to date. I’m running windows 7 explorer.

Thanks for the heads up Steve. I’ll try to get it fixed. In the meantime you might upgrade to IE9, or use Firefox or Google Chrome.

Hi Chris, My only complaint is every time I log on to read new stuff, all the pictures have to load or reload from the old stuff and as I have a phone modem, they might take 15 minutes or more and I pan down the page and then more stuff loads and then it jumps up the page and I have to pan down again and again and again. Maybe this works for most people but maybe the vertical length of each page could be trimmed back and force a new page. It would also be nice to wind up at the most recent posts and backtrack if wanted. Maybe 2 screen’s worth would be enough for a page ? Do you control this ?? I have to give up most times I try to read things here as I’m in my office in the middle of a work day and can only tie up the phone line for a few minutes …Thanks, Mike LaRosa

Hi Mike,

Can’t fix your internet speed… You should have the pictures cached though, might check your browser settings. If you are really reloading pictures every time then something’s not set right.

The “first unread” button takes you right to the one you left off with.

If you don’t care about seeing the pics then just hit “stop” loading and the browser will…stop. Huh. No jumping the page around.

Another idea, have the threads you care about emailed to you. Just check the box that says “Notify me when new comments are posted”. That way you get just the text.

Mike L,
I find if you go to the “what’s new” tab at the top of the home page and directly click on the “what’s new” button (not the pull downs), Chris has a list there set up for all the posts. If you look at the reply colum you’ll see the new posts for each topic. I find this works well to get to the last post in a topic quickly.

Hi All
Same problem here for me dial-up SteveU as MikeL. is having. Slow-slow loading do to the pictures.
If no pictures/videos have been embedded onto a topic line “Last Post” and “First Unread” features work fine. However the more pictures/videos embedded it hangs and will not jump down for minutes and minutes while down loading. ChrisKY your Gasifier in Kentucky and Trip topic have become almost unreadable for me. I know this is our user Internet speed problems. Certainly do not want pictures not to be included. But please check your loaded resolution and de-res a bit if possble please. And if anyone knows how to tell me to command the pictures back to fixed thumbnails please tell.
Also the “Send me an E-mail notification” feature here ONLY works on topics I have personally started - NOT ones started by someone else I have replied/posted on to show an interest. Maybe you can do something about this, eh?
MikeL some of the speed tricks I’ve found so far is to always log on by my user linked page. Saves a couple of minutes each time not having to load the moving active stuff on the home page. Also while in a long topic sting the “Go to Top” button to get back up to the menus is a great time saver.
Yes SteveG the “Whats New” tab feature works great for a no commitment yet overall view.

Not complaining over all ChrisKY. Some of us know well how hard it is to accommodate everyone. Ha! Ha! You obviously only able to do this for a time now 'cause you do not have a significant other tugging at your ear. “Ouch! Yes dear, almost done on the computer honey bun. Be right there. No! Do not be throwing my breakfast out to the dogs!”
Ha! Ha! Your time is coming too boyo.

Regards to all
Steve Unruh

Firefox allows for a setting that prevent pictures from loading. They also have an add on button that allows pictures to be turned on or off momentarily. This makes the site run much faster for me. I don load scripts on anything but text from any site. Never get a virus or malware either.

Hi ChrisKY Now that you have some time on your hands - ha! ha!
I am still reporting that the “Send me an E-mail notfication” is only working (for me) on Topics I have started; not one I have posted interested comments onto.
I know us dialup whiners are a PITA. But I will still say that out there in the user base of potential woodgas users/wanters there are more dialup guys and gals do to their chosen location and/life style than the keep up with the Bill Gates/Andy Grove chaser crowd. AND WE DO HAVE THE WOOD FUELS - Why live where and how we do. We can and will just skip the YouTube woo-whoos. So if you put any core info in your YouTubes, FaceBooks and Twitters it will seem to be ignored. This was a BenP mistake early on that did cost later.
Current site capability as of April 8 2012 could be improved for ALL now that some topics have spilled over to 2nd and 3rd pages by putting a page indicator bar at the TOP of the topic load page and in the “Whats new” listings. Then we can all see this and and jump to the new content quicker.
Third recomended site improvement feature now that a lot of content has gone up (much, like this within a topic comment post) is a word/topic/subject search function. VictorySocialNetwork never had this. Yahoo Groups do, but it suck functions. I really like and use this on my SMF group/forums. Then the never ending newbie questions can be politely/friendly directed to, “Hey! Good Question! Use the search function button and you will find your answer there.” Maybe not possible here and keep free/public content separated from PayFor/Premium content, huh?

Best regards for the excellant job doing all of this so far. I know well the personal cost.
Tech “Turtle” Steve Unruh

Hey again
Sigh. Old now and only a three item short term memory anymore.

Fourth item that would improve, would be a post numbering feature within each topic if possible. Most all forums/groups/lists have this and it is handy for directing back to an info bit or something someone has really well said. Mr Wayne does a LOT of that with his advices.

Thanks
SteveU.

Hi Steve,

Free time? Where did you hear that? :wink:

I will get to work on improving the site when I get back home. For now a few things:

• Search. Done. See in the sidebar at the top. Option for advanced search on the results page. No premium results show up unless your a paid member.

• Email notifications. Should be working, I’ll ask around and see if anyone else has the same trouble. Be sure you have it checked when you post, “Notify me when new comments are posted”. Also check your spam folder.

• Post number. Can do, for now just use the “Permalink” on the top right of each post. Gives a link like this:

http://driveonwood.com/comment/704#comment-704

• page counter. That’s a little harder but can be done. Be aware of the first unread and last post links always get you there, even across multiple pages.

• What’s new. That page is really useful, all text too. As a dialup user I’d recommend you start there instead of the front page. First off, where it says “New” or “Updated” that means you haven’t seen that yet. Easy to see at a glance. To the right it says “3 new” and has a link, which takes you directly to the first unread post, again across multiple pages.

Will keep improvements coming as I get time!!

HEY CHRIS, YES I CAN SEE THE PHOTO.S GOOD, AFTER I DISCOVERED, THAT THE PHOTO,S WERE ON THE LEFT. AND I HAD TO CLICK ON THE LEFT STRIP TO GET THEM TO COME UP, BIENG NEW ON THE SITE , AND THE FACT THAT I AM NOT A COMPUTER GUY, IT TOOK ME A FEW DAYS FOR ME TO LEARN WHAT I HAD TO DO TO GET THEM UP., THIS SITE IS GREAT, I HAVE WATCHED WAYNES VIDEO,S OVER AND OVER, I NEED TO DO THAT SINCE MY LEARNING CURVE IS LOW, LOL. I STILL HAVE NOT FIGURED OUT HOW TO POST PHOTO,S AND BLOGING, I WILL SEND YOU MY PHOTOS TILL I FIGURE IT OUT FOR MYSELF, FEEL FREE TO POST ANYTHING I SEND TO YOU. DUMPSTER- DAVE

Hi Dave,

The strips are supposed to be pictures… It’s a problem with your browser. I recommend switching to Firefox or Chrome browsers, both modern enough to display the site properly.

If you have Windows Vista/7 you can upgrade to Internet Explorer 9. Unfortunately not compatible with XP.