Bruce's Baron Downdrafter

Yes, thats perfect! Never seen such material. The pads here cant be unrolled like this.

6 Likes

Yes, it is made as one long continuous tube. I pulled it over the pipe then twisted it a bit o give it some thickness.

7 Likes

Great idea Bruce now the holes can’t be blocked, the more suface area is better for sure.
I like the whole KISS design here. Got to make one for my genset.

5 Likes

Brian, I forgot that my cooler piping actually goes down into the filter can. So I may need the drain you recommended. Thanks for the tip.

6 Likes

Sunshine and warmer today so worked on the tractor.

Battery and filter installed.

Safety filter and crankcase screen.

Not sure yet where to install the O2 sensor for AFR gauge?

15 Likes

Hi Bruce , i just looked up that Lakos ,Twist to Clean filter that your using on your build , for something else i am playing with very interesting , but costly so will keep and eye out for thrown out units .
Keep up the great work, slow and steady wins the race for sure in winter time .
Dave

7 Likes

I tried to run the engine with the oiler. Works great as a drip control in open air but was impossible to adjust when screwed into the intake. The engine vacuum turns the drip into a stream. I played with it for about an hour. I had to kill the spark on a few engine runaways. The flood of gasoline was squeezed past the rings and into the crankcase. Now I know why Henry Ford took the glass out of his oiler/carburetor.
So, I’m going to raise the oil drip with a nipple and coupling. I will tap and plug the inside of the nipple where it goes into the intake. I will drill a tiny hole through the center of the plug. This tiny hole will be just large enough to suck in the drips of gasoline and still maintain the engine vacuum. The coupling will have a large vent hole drilled in the side to break the vacuum on the oiler. Voila, a drip carburetor. Wish me luck!

12 Likes

OK, my drip carb works now. My drip jar was a little too close to the hood so I used two 45s to offset it. I tapped the inside of the upper 45 and screwed in a plug. The plug has a 1/32 hole drilled through it. And there is a 1/8" hole drilled through each of the four sides just above the plug.

I was hoping to have more progress to report but I’ve been stuck working on the voltage regulator. I didn’t know that there are type A and type B starter/generators and corresponding regulators. Type A moderates the negative to Field connection and type B moderates positive to the Field. I’ve decided to add an amp meter to the charging circuit. I’ll need a good generator and battery for starting and for a front-mounted winch.

16 Likes

It is warming up some but there is still snow on the ground. Slow progress on the Baron. There are 5 new pieces in the picture below. Amp gauge, AFR (O2 sensor) gauge, reactor temperature display, water drip PWM control (black knob above display) and shutoff valve for the vacuum gauge. When running with the drip carburetor the engine vacuum is too strong and pegs my “inches of water” gauge.

22 Likes