Building a Hybrid electric-charcoal

Wow! An All-Purpose Mobile Power Plant—Who couldn’t use one of those! I missed this the first time around.

when the sun aint shinning on your solor panels, you will have a power sourse backup. Nice plan running a small gen on charco, I get around too makeing time, i want too get a charco gen set up too.Happy off griding !

1 Like

Hi Garry,
The 2 Kwh Gen, running at max load with charcoal ( 1400 watts effective ) at 50 Hz, consumed about 1,3 Kg charcoal per hour.

Rule of thumb i use and advertise: between 0,5 and 0,8 Kg quality charcoal/Kwh E
Another rule of thumb: if your gasifier/engine is running for electric generation: Energy input ( energetic value ) * 20% ( 1/5 ) = output value from input value. All the rest goes into friction and heat losses.

Using the exhaust heat, not the exhaust content, for preheating fuel or for gasifying tarry matter instead of using waterdrip/steam works wonders…

3 Likes

Reading reading. Looks like charcoal is nice for transportation. You need less for traveling. Nico topic Koen, thanks. I think I am about to start with the Simple Fire. Or can even I , mess that up?

Choices choices. Came here for sawdust. Saw reback chunker with the clean cut, and now this…Thanks everyone.

Some nice forum here. Unbelievable what a knowledge. Thanks again. Can t go wrong with a little help.

1 Like

Joep,

I have found the SimpleFire to be a good choice. It is certainly a good place to start. Simple to build and simple to operate. Good luck. Mess up? Nothing that you can’t work through with the help of these guys.

2 Likes

gasifying tarry matter instead of using waterdrip/steam works wonders…
[/quote]
“gasifying tarry matter” do you mean crude pyrolytic oil? (condensed smoke)
if the pyrolytic oil is brought in excess, is there not a risk of taring the engine? :disappointed_relieved:

Thierry

1 Like

Hi Thierry,

The wonders of glowing charcoal…
If you drip the tarry matter into the glowing zone, without killing the glowing, then it will be broken down into Hydrogen, CO, CH4 and carbon…
Preheating the tar with exhaustgas heat will enable to use more tar…
Just keep your glowing charcoal in the high range, that is the only “secret”
If you put a raw wood gasifier next in line with a charcoal gasifier, you can pass the tarry gas from the raw wood gasifier thru the glowing zone from the charcoal gasifier. In the non excess mixture ofcourse, and repeat this in a chain linked system untill you have the quality you desire…

Some experience: a 10 Kwh electric generator used for/with: 7 Kwh for the home
3 kwh for the electric heated charcoal zone ( to pass dirty gasses from plastic, raw wood gas and Co2)
exhaust gas heating up the plastic waste and or wood fuel…
Been there , doing that…
Anything works, just focus on the glowing carbon…
To much glowing ? ad: waterdrip, exhaust gas, waste gasses, Co2, plastic pellets, waste oil, anything what can be used to enhance the gas quality output works.

7 Likes

It’s a great challenge, a balancing act, too little endothermic fluid … overheating, too much endothermic fluid … stopping the reduction reaction. this is the happy medium that I will try to reach tomorrow with my truck :star_struck:
I’ll tell you about it tomorrow on my page

Thierry

3 Likes

Watch this…

Now use a high compression OCT and a small gasifier and your off the races…

2 Likes

Just sitting here thinking about some of my bone headed choices of late.
I scrapped a Briggs OTC engine not much different from this as while back.
I was a vertical shaft and engine but I could have does something with it.
I had nothing to use it for

I read this on the Stak a while back.
If you run a CCK or LK on wood gas you can boost compression by using a different head. ( but you can’t mill them )
Seems to me that the heads from a B43 ( Common Onan tractor generator engine ) could be modified to fit an iron block K motor.
I think the BGA through BGE generator heads would also fit with some modifications.

Again this are to make a more optimized for wood gas engine.

2 Likes

Koen, very interesting project. For me, things are getting shaped and I am very charmed by your design. Very nice to use off the shelve components, but did you do something to improve generator efficiency since cardynamo’s do around 50% max. Thanks, impressive projects you do.

3 Likes