Building the, cooling rack / flare off blower /

Morning Dave,

Great Job!!

Anywhere after the cooler the temps should be close to ambient.

I like to plumb in at the top portion of the condensate tank keeping it separate from the gas deliver pipes so if I flood the pipes for cleaning no water will get to my blowers.

THANK YOU WAYNE, I DID NOT THINK ABOUT GETTING WATER IN MY BLOWER, YOU SAVED ME FROM A MISTAKE AGAIN THANK YOU

HEY GUYS, ON YOU TUBE THERE IS A VIDEO, PUNCH IN ( BUILDING MY GASIFIER # 1 ) FAST FORWARD TO 10 MINUTES, I WANT TO BUILD A GRATE SHAKER THAT IS POWERED NOT MANUEL IS THIS THE BEST SIMPLE DESIGN ???

continued from my post of 7 - 15 -12 I HAVE BEEN WORKING ON GETTING MY FLARE OFF BLOWER TOGETHER, I FOUND A 12 VOLT 1750 RPM MOTOR FOR MY BLOWER HOUSING, I GOT THE MOTOR MOUNTED ON THE HOUSING LAST EVENING. AND HOOKED IT UP, IT BLOWS GOOD, ( NOT REAL HARD , ) AND IS VERY QUIET. I THINK IT WILL BE FINE FOR THE FLAIR OFF,. IT WILL LOOK SIMULAR TO RON LEMLER,S SET UP ???

GRATE SHAKER ? THANK YOU DAN MOORE FOR THE GOOD TIP ON THE GASIFIER VIDEO,S ON U-TUBE . THE VIDEO NO. 1 FAST FORWARD TO 10 MINUTES. EXPLANING THE GRATE SHAKER , WAS GREAT. I WILL USE THE PART ABOUT HOW TO SEAL IT OFF. BUT WANT TO MAKE IT POWERED NOT MANUEL

HEY GASSERS , I AM NOW WORKING ON THE GRATE SHAKER. I WANT TO POWER IT WITH 12 VOLT ??? ALL ALTERNITAVE DESIGNS AND
SUGGESTIONS ARE APPRECIATED . NO ROOM FOR A BOTTOM OF THE BARREL MOUNTED SHAKER, I WILL NEED TO GO HORIZONTAL FROM THE GRATE.

Dave,
Didn’t you have something worked out already with a chain drive set up? This is how I went as well. The only thing I am going to change is I had come up with a “sweep” that rotated while the grate was stationary, but I think I am going to just switch it to a rotating grate. From what I am reading though it may not even be needed. I think Wayne stated he only has to use his if he does alot of lower rpm driving. Still IMO something needs to be there. I am interested in what people come up with on this.
I have a 120 volt gear motor I was going to put on mine, and thought I would have to go to 12 volt, but I tried it this last week with a small cheap Radio Shack inverter on my Toyota battery, and it ran about the same as if it were on 120. I hope to run my blower the same way, even though it runs on 12 volt as well as 120. On 12 volts it only pulls about 5in and on 120 at full speed it pulled around 20in and kept going. The motor and aluminum blade is from a Black and Decker leaf blower from Menards.50 bucks on sale and variable speed. I had to junk the plastic housing though and make one out of stainless. Over all how are you coming on the project?
David S.

HEY DAVID S. YES I DID HAVE A ROTATING GRATE SCRAPER ON MY LAST GASIFIER, BUT I HAVE BEEN TOLD BY SEVERAL DIFFRENT PEOPLE THAT A SCRAPER MESSES UP THE CHAR BED AND IS WASTEFUL. SO I DECIDED TO GO WITH AN SIMPLE GRATE SHAKER, THAT IS MOTOR OPERATED, 12 VOLT. AS FOR THE BLOWER I WILL HAVE TWO BLOWERS,ONE TO FLARE OFF, WHICH I HAVE POSTED PICTURES OF LATELY. AND THE OTHER ONE IS THE ONE I BOUGHT FROM VICTORY GAS WORKS OVER A YEAR AGO. THAT WILL BE IN-LINE TO POWER UP THE GAS FLOW TO THE INGINE, TAKE A LOOK AT A VIDEO,S IN YOUR SPARE TIME AT HOW I BUILT MY GASIFIER # 1 FAST FORWARD TO 10 MINUTES, TO SEE HIS SHAKER GRATE, I WANT TO MODEFY IT TO ROTATE POWERED BY A 12 VOLT MOTOR,

HI GUYS, I HAVE A QUESTION, I WANT TO POWER THE GRATE SHAKER, I HAVE A 12 VOLT 9 RPM HIGH TORQUE MOTOR, WILL THE RPM,S BE ENOUGH OR DO I NEED TO GET A FASTER MOTOR ???

Hi Dave,

That depends on the grate shaker style. For Wayne’s usual type with a rod up through the grate it depends on vibration, and I don’t think 9 RPM is going to cut it. Look for a junkyard blower motor and mount an offset weight on it.

no grate shaker on our little unit

Hi DaveO
Your 9 rpm setup will work just fine as long as it has enough power to pull against the weight of the char/ash stack.

Passive inactive grates do work. But . . . you then have to stick to your designed fuel type for know ashing, char consumption and a narrow range of gas production flow rates. Or . . . go find some potholes if a mobile. If stationary then must always have an operator able to recognize clogging and willing to go actively kick/shake the unit to unclog.
An active movable grate give you a much wider range of fuel flexibility that can then be used successfully under a much wider range of operating conditions. You then have something you can automate or remote control.

Regards
Steve Unruh

Hi DaveO, Can you tell us where you got the 12 V DC motor? Looking really good!
Pepe

I agree Steve if you are using a typical grate.

HI R. P. , I BOUGHT MY FIRST 12 VOLT DC MOTOR THRU E-BAY 59.00 I THINK ? THEY STILL HAVE THEM. THEY ARE GREAT TO POWER GRATE SCRAPERS OR AUGER,S VERY HEAVY DUTY AND POWERFUL. WITH 3/4 INCH KEYED SHAFT,S. 9 rpm. 850 TORQUE POUNDS. BUT I THINK THEY ARE TOO SLOW FOR A GRATE SHAKER ?? THEN I RAN ACROSS A SUPER DEAL AT THE SALVAGE YARD, I AM SENDING PHOTO,S I BOUGHT ALL THEY HAD FOR 10.00 EACH THEY ARE BRAND NEW. IT YOU NEED ONE I WILL SEND YOU ONE AT COST. 10.00 PLUS SHIPPING. JUST E-MAIL ME YOUR ADDRESS, TO [email protected] DUMPSTER DAVE

I favor windscreenwiper motors. Powerful enough to rotate an entire grate, but you need to make some sort of gear ratio. Which is easy, because there is no need to bring over complete rotations to the grate. Use the same methode of movement translation like a wiper mechanism does. Using a longer lever on the grate axle will make powerful without excessive movement. Too much movement can drop excess char, depending on sizing and design of the grate.

Regards,
DJ

thanks DJ. I WILL CHECK OUT WIPER MOTORS.

The slow RPM motor could work. You just have to step it with some pulleys. or like DJ was saying use some off set lever system to only move the grate a little bit back and forth. If you took the gear reduction off of the motor it would spin a lot faster.haha

treadmill incline motors are about that 5-10 RPMs. they are pretty powerful and cheap since people just throw them away. I believe they run on 120 volt but I would have to check for sure. I can try one tonight if I have time.

anthony

Dave, how about an old jigsaw or sawzall, something with a short stroke, set on a timer, to jog a grate back and forth? I’ve got a couple of 18v cordless sawzalls and at least one old corded jigsaw that you are welcome to.

HEY DAVID KNIGHT, THANKS FOR THE OFFER, I THINK I NOW HAVE THE GRATE SHAKER, FIGURED OUT HOW I AM GOING TO DO IT, DUTCH JOHN AND OTHERS SAY A WINDSHIELD WIPER MOTOR IS A GOOD WAY TO GO, SO THEY KNOW MUCH MORE THAN I. HEY CALL ME AND COME UP TO THE SHOP, SOMETIME I AM GOING TO MOUNT THE GASIFIER ON THE TRUCK SOON, AND HOPE TO FIRE IT UP IN 30 DAYS OR LESS ??? BUT I HAVE SAID THAT BEFORE LOL