Building the, cooling rack / flare off blower /

Looks good David, I would like to see your grate shaker when it is done. Will you mount it on the side or bottom? I need to build one for a side install.

Hi Dave Knight, A jig saw, perfect! It even has accommodations for mounting built in. Thanks for the tip.
Pepe

Hello all,

I think there are a lot of differences in the devises to clean or purge the ash/char (shakers, scrapers, rotators and viberaters.)

With a scraper or rotating grate I see no need for many rpms. With a shaker the frequency should be more. With a viberater like I use the rpm would need to be a thousand plus.

With a mobile gasifier designed to operate in a very wide range a grate shaker or fire tube purging devise may not be needed until you are reaching the 300-500 mile per gasifier cycle ( driving without shutting down ) When one starts reaching this mileage things begin to change.

Ah! Ha! Thanks Mr Wayne for this.
So see some of you guys at Waynes quoted 1 - 1 1/2 pounds of woodfuel per mile consumption on his rigs this is why I’ve been saying you going to need to do something on stationary system after 200-300 pounds of woodfuel is ran through it to clear the reduction bed of accumulated ash.
So I am not completely constipated with brown fecal matter. My eyes are still a blueish/grey.

Regards
Steve Unruh

HEY RICHARD, I WILL POST PHOTO,S WHEN I GET IT INSTALLED, I HAVE CHANGED MY MIND SO MANY TIMES I AM GETTING DIZZY. LOL. ON MY SECOND GASIFIER I HAD A STATIONARY GRATE WITH A ROTATING SCRAPER BLADE. I HAVE BEEN TOLD BY SEVERAL DIFFRENT GASSERS THAT IT IS NOT GOOD TO STIR UP THE CHAR BED MORE THAN NESSESARY. AND THAT ROTATING THE GRATE BACK AND FORTH A 1/3 TO 1/2 A TURN IS A BETTER WAY TO GO. SO I WILL HAVE THE GRATE ATTACHED TO A 7/8 SHAFT COMMING UP THRU THE BOTTOM OF THE BARREL AND HAVE THE WINDSHIELD WIPER MOTOR OPERATING THE GRATE BACK AND FORTH JUST LIKE IT DOES WIPER BLADES, WISH ME WELL.

Hi Dave,

What will you use for a sealing method where the shaft enters the gasser?

Peter

7- 29- 12 progress. worked on flare off blower. got it cleaned up, welded up a base plate, primed and painted it then sealed it up with rtv silicone, and re-assembled it. i started it up after adding a bell reducer and it blows great.

I’m really just thoerizing becaue I’ve never made one, but I thought I might use a tight-fitting bearing and maybe some fiberglass rope (?) like on a woodstove door seal.