Burn temp

Does anyone know how hot woodgas burns?
I am wondering what other purposes it can be put to besides running an engine.

HELLO LOU, I DO KNOW SOME PEOPLE RUN THE HOT GAS THROUGH A HEAT EXCHANGER BEFORE IT GOES TO THE ENGINE, AND HEAT WATER, IS IS USUALLY ON A STATIONARY UNIT , THAT GENERATES ELICTRICITY THOUGH. THE HOTTER THE THE FIRE IN THE COMBUSTIAN CHAMBER THE BETTER I THINK ? THE TAR IN THE WOOD CAN ONLY BE BROKEN DOWN AND CONVERTED TO GAS AT VERY HIGH TEMPETURES, DAVID-O

Here is a link to a YouTube Video where Agua Das melts Bronze using garden path wood chips.

Hi Lou,
I can’t give you exact numbers but this video should give you a better idea of the temps we are working with. I own a tree farm here in Florida and build these units when I need to dispose of trash and yard waste even put steel in these and the unit does a fine job of melting it down. One could modify this device and use it for boiling water or a steel foundry. The forestry rangers are only concerned with open flame and sparks with the fire so open barrel burning will not work. Also this unit produces no smoke and no smell. BBB Sean

Hey Sean,
That is pretty interesting. Because it was “filmed” in the dark, the details of your design are not visible, how about more info?
I saw the barrel glowing and heard a roar, was that due to a blower setup?

Hi Lou, Yes I filmed in the dark so I could see how hot the drum was getting. I don’t have one at this time to point a camera at. I am in a burn ban in Florida when it starts to rain again I will build another and shoot some pics. Yes the roar is from a blower this is a forced induction heater. Sean

I am intrigued that woodgas will melt steel. That makes me think that it could be used in a forge or if properly manipulated, used as a cutting torch.
Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Perhaps I will bring a small forge to the Indiana meet-up if anyone wants to hook up a gasifier to it and see what it will do, any takers?

Sure, bring it! There will be plenty of gasifiers around to run it. Bring a blower of some sort.

What kind of blower?
I am too new to this stuff to have any idea.