Ceramic coatings

I’ve seen some discussion about ceramic coatings for high temperature applications. Has anyone ever checked out www.jet-hot.com? They say their coatings can handle up to 2500 degrees F. Jet-Hot primarily deals in ceramic coatings for automotive headers but they have an industrial division.

Here’s their site: .https://commercial.jet-hot.com/

6 Likes

Looks like they need the parts so that they can apply the coating.

2 Likes

Years ago back about 1980 i talked too a young guy that had a HHO water booster on his nice looking camaro, and he said he had put ceramic coat on his cyclinder walls too keep the rust down from the hho water boosting. Thats problly a different kind of ceramic solution.

2 Likes

Yes, you have to send them the part. I also ran across a ceramic product that was more like a mastic.

A decade ago, I worked with a group developing a gasifier to run a 100kw generator, fabricated exclusively out of stainless steel and with a layer of this ceramic paste in the hottest spots. I’m going through old papers and notebooks. I’ll keep an eye out for the name of the ceramic product.

3 Likes

Hi ToddT.
John Blount did some DIY ceramics coating when down in Louisianna on his carbon steel build up.
He posted the results up here? On the DOW?
On the old VGWSN site?
I’'l check my old notebooks.
S.U.

3 Likes

Ah… I enjoyed visiting with John down in Albany, LA. Last I heard, he moved to Peru.

A few months ago, I reached out to the folks he was working with down there. Really nice guys. They were converting sawdust from their sawmill into briquettes and then used as feedstock for their gasifier running a generator, doing net-metering. Sadly, no reply to my emails.

I met John on the GEK site. They started with the GEK and then built their own design.

4 Likes

it is a pain to send in parts. I think most people have stuck with furnace coatings for refractories.

Although, apparently I have come back to zeolites, which are used both as a refractory and as a catalysts for things like cracking oil.

1 Like

Is this cheramic coating similar to enamel coating? I had a enameled pot for the char basket in one of my gasifiers, despite being wery thin it held up well. Only downside was the enamel actualy started to melt and ooze down on the walls.

4 Likes

Similar but different. Enamel, or porcelin enamel is baked on powdered glass (silicon dioxide). Ceramics usually have clay content in them, which can contain silicon dioxide, but also a few other things usually like aluminum, magnesium, titanium etc.

3 Likes

I’ve been researching what is available for DIY. Some of the best ideas I have come across have been from amateur blacksmiths making their own forges.

Commonly they will use multiple layers. Generally it’ll be an insulative refractory inside a steel shell. The refractory is insulative but can’t quite take the peak temperatures. A top layer of higher temp product goes on top of the refractory. ITC-100 is mentioned specifically. It is quite reflective to IR or radiant heat, which is a big fraction of the heat transfer at high temperatures.

Ceramic can mean a lot of things but both the refractory and the top coats they work with are a mix of metal oxides that I would call ceramic.

3 Likes

Quick amendment to the layers recommended for a forge: steel shell, two inches of ceramic blanket, then refractory, then IR reflective top coat.

My favorite forum for discussion of forges is iforgeiron.com

Some other sites focus on super basic designs… coffee can forges and the like that are semi disposable by design. Not helpful.

3 Likes

I agree. You also find some stuff with foundries and pottery kilns as well. There are differences but there are similarities as well.

1 Like