Charcoal Gas Bike

Many, many years ago, I use to ride motor cycles on the street. One guy that commuted to work with me road a Yamaha 2 stroke that had a gas tank (nothing added to the gas) and an oil tank. It injected the oil from the oil tank into the engine. The point I want to make is; every now and then, the engine would slow down and he’d pull over to the curb. He said he forgot to fill the oil and it ran out. He simply put oil into the tank and by that time the engine had cooled down and everything that had expanded and started to sees up was back to normal. So away we would go again until another day when he would forget the oil. I’m sure this didn’t do the engine any good but obviously, it was not an engine killer. So I feel that some experimenting could be done with adding an oil drip and not much fear of totally wrecking the engine.

Hi Tom, One of the first things I have to do when converting an engine is to make sure the woodgas never goes through the crankcase. Woodgas and aluminum pot metals do not get along that great. I’m not sure what the newer 2 stroke engines do but the older ones just had ported pistons and the gas / oil mix went into the crankcase and the downstroke of one piston would force the sucked up mix from the other one into it … kinda sorta … Most engines had a split case and if the gasket had even a little leak the engine would not run right. I do remember fishing on the Mississippi with my old friend Jim Graber (deceased) and the water cooler impeller went out. We would start the boat and go until the engine seized and then roll a smoke and fish some more until it cooled off. We eventually made it back to where we put in with plenty of blue gills … That doesn’t happen on the highway. We just knew on the river that we were going to get an afternoon of fishing in and worst case was we would just drift in down stream somewhere. This was before cell phones but we knew folks all along the way and had plenty of time (and beer) … Good luck with your project. I see I made a post back in January but I thought I’d share that story about Jim … … ML

Hi Jonathan,

I missed this message. Sorry about that. Yes I have managed to get the bike running on this gasifier. I’ve got to build a better carburetor/mixer. Once I do I’ll post. I got a lot busier than I thought I would this spring. Thanks for the interest.

hello, see my motorcycle

Siarhei Atr. Nice Job! One of my ongoing projects is a charcoal powered motorcycle sidecar rig using a Honda 600 cc V-Twin, which has a single carburetor. Thanks for the very detailed link showing the construction at http://oppozit.ru/article85319.html To view the blog in English, I used Chromium Web Browser which translates the whole works. Toward the end, some of the photos were blank, and to view them, I needed to do a “right click”, and select to view them in a new tab. Also, I’m not exactly sure what is used in the bottom 20 liter filter bucket?

Great project, Siarhei Atr! Very nice woodgas bike, certainly a couple steps up from my project. You’ve inspired me to get back to my carburetor problems and finish up my bike.

John

Howdy,
Interesting timing on the video.
I was riding an ATV yesterday… and thinking how much fun it “wood” be on Woodgas. Then I see your excellent conversion, great video (got a smile, when you were jumping up and down to shake things up a bit).
Most inspiring, I will do an ATV sometime, perhaps this winter.
Thanks for posting!
TerryL

Hi Siarhei
Very nice bike, well done!
I have also been looking at my quad in a different light, they defiantly have the power to wight ratio that a little drop in power would not be the end of the world. And they have the front and rear racks to build a small WK gasifier on !

Thanks for the ideas.
Patrick

Thanks for the nice comments, few people can evaluate such projects.

Siarhei,

Thanks much for the video! I enjoyed it.

Excellent build Siarhei, the original motorcycle looks old with a history of its own. I like the finished look like something from WWll. Good video too.

Fantastic motorcycle!

I did see this one, charcoal bike in Thailand,…

Was there any further word from John Rubins about his amazing bicycle project? :smiley: