Charcoal gasifier for ATV

well all projects have hiccups. For me it was breaking a bone in my arm at the wrist. Annoying. Project hiccup was a leaky fuel shut off valve causing that too rich run on the first video. Here is a better longer one showing a more accurate run. Lots of fun too, enjoy…

6 Likes

Very nice!
You stated it has a lot less power than you had hoped. What if you went with a 3/4" or 1" nozzle? Do you think that might help? Also, what year is it? Is it a 2 or 4 cycle? I have a 2003 Polaris Sportsman 400 which is a 4 cycle that I am hoping to run on charcoal someday.

1 Like

Hi bill, it is a 2003 Kawasaki prairie 4 stroke. I think it had exactly the power I expected; rough guess a third less. I would be better off cooling the gas for more density or enriching with a drip if I need more power. I haven’t found any power increases with bigger nozzles on the other builds. Also same as the tractor I’m usually doing something where full throttle would get me killed :smile
Best regards, David Baillie

4 Likes

My poor atv has sat ignored all winter. I finally figured out a long standing problem though… the rubber vibration mount from the carb to the engine was split along the bottom. A 12 dollar part totally non related to the gasifier end was messing me up. Took off the gas tank to access everything and decided to redo the plumbing. Abs pipe with rubber transitions for flex.

6 Likes

Well she’s all back together and I added a new twist. The new nozzle is a piece of titanium I ordered off eBay and threaded. It’s supposed to have a 200 degree Celsius higher melt point then stainless… time will tell. Anyone try this yet? Hopefully run this weekend.

3 Likes

Remember our problem is not with meting, but with catastrophic oxidation. Keep your reaction temp below 1200C and the oxidation rate for titanium is fairly slow. I look forward to seeing your updates.

1 Like

Is the quality of gas any better, worse or indifferent the higher temperature of the charcoal being burned at the nozzle? I’m just wondering if we can keep a SS nozzle from melting by mixing exhaust at the inlet, would that be a good indicator of the best gas? Or do we get that temp as hot as we can?

1 Like

1000C is a good temp (well below the melting temperature), but that won’t prevent the oxygen from reacting with the metal and eating it away.

1 Like

Bruce understands the science better then me. If I’m not wrong the reaction becomes less efficient as the temperature is lower so it’s finding that sweet spot of efficient reaction and nozzle longevity. Someone chime in to clarify any errors there.

1 Like

David. Curious to know how you’re titanium nozzle works out since I am grappling with that issue right now.

1 Like

You and me both. I’m away til Monday so it will have to wait now…

1 Like

Everything looks better with a coat of shiny black paint

7 Likes

I am afraid titanium might not be the best choice. I work with titanium and it is very reactive when heated. If l hit it with a hamer it sparks like nothing else. I realy look forward to seeing how it performs thugh!

I have sayd it before and l will say it again. The best nozzle for a charcoal gasifier is a masive cast iron or steel pipe with a small hole in it. I have driven about 2000km with it on my Seat and it looks like it was put in yesterday. You just have to have enough mass to dispose all the radiant heat of the charcoal.

3 Likes

Something like this?

1 Like

Looking at your air intake David, Looks safe from sparks. That was a concern on my mower when I used it on the trails in the woods. I will be modifying mine to be a little safer like yours when I set up my next mower.

1 Like

David , your system looks fantastic sure puts my hobbled together unit looking more like a rusty pile of old bits in the corner !

Kristijan , when you say massive cast or steel pipe , what size would you say , something like 75mm OD with a 15mm ID or bigger still ? I would be interested in testing out a cast or steel pipe or a large block on a new build that will be going together soon and while scrap iron prices are on the floor we may as well put it to good use rather than ship it off to China .
Dave

3 Likes

Jim I took inspiration from your tractor when I built my tractor heance the upturned nozzle. The pot that hangs down was my answer to the sparks and flaring that was happening. On the atv I tried this one. Now I need to solve the nozzle issue. I like the idea of the massive steel nozzle maybe next time. For now the titanium, if not then titanium tipped with welding nozzle… soon

2 Likes

Dave and Kristian you guys kill me in terms of how many hours you’ve both logged on your units. I wish I had more time to devote to it.
Best regards David Baillie

1 Like

I think I’m going to see what can dig up for cast iron for my next one . One can never have to many laying around ready to go. I have not been playing with them for a while due to the fact I never took the time to build the processing equipment needed to make it an efficient process. The green house and sap will ultimately fit into the equation. A hot water storage tank will also be a vital part of the system as well. My brain has been working on all this for a long time but my body and the details have not caught up yet.

3 Likes

For me I do property management at a centre that just logged 20 acres so the slash piles are everywhere… just waiting for me and some type of charcoal in device…

3 Likes