Charcoal Gasifier for Generator

Hi Dave & Brian!
I let the water drip at the intakt wich is hot so the water boils off directly and get sucked in. I think i have to add water because it gets so hot my nozzle is melting.
Without water everything is dry. Somehow i think that the watervapour gets past the glowing charcoal.
The gasifier works otherwise really well, I can start the motor not long after lighting the charcoal.

I’ll try to add some pictures of my setup.

2 Likes

This is before i added the insulation.

5 Likes

That is basically how my machines are set up internally. Nice work!

4 Likes

Hi Jorgen , thanks for the photo’s and as Matt said very nice work .
If i can ask a few more questions just so i get a better idea as photo’s can not always give a perspective of distance and size , on your lower drum you have a mild steel or stainless pipe nipple nozzle ? you also mention that last photo is before you put your insulation in the bottom drum , so where and what do you insulate in your bottom drum ? the gas outlet pipe how far down your drum is it from the incoming nozzle , i am trying to find out what distances people are using to get a better idea on what would work best for certain size engines or generators , what size engine/ generator have you run on this set up and how much power output can you get compared to running in petrol ?
Thanks Dave

3 Likes

On mine its about 6 to 8 inches from nozzle to my grate. My nozzle is short and Im only using 1/2 inch NPT stainless threaded one end nipples. They stick in about a 1/2" (higher velocity gets the heat away from the nozzle tip) plus I shield it with a heavy couple that it threads into. Im running a 420 cc engine and that running on a single unit is just to the point where it is over driving it. My grate is 12 inches long and about 4 inches wide. But I dont have vents all along it. Only half way and at the opposing end from the nozzle.

2 Likes

I’m still blown away by your units Matt and even now reading your dimension’s here how it is running so well with such close proximity to everything else , i think the black side has gained from your crossing over .
Dave

2 Likes

Yeah Im glad I did. These raw fueler guys are just plain silly!! hehe

2 Likes

I have about the same distance between nozzle and grate as Matt, im a copycat🙂
Im thinking that the grate is part of my problem, i should make it a bit smäller.
I use Superwool for insulation, I hade some left after I built my retort.
The nozzle is 3/4" and just some mild steel i guess, i should use SS instead.
I havent got anything to measure the power output. I think its a 13hp engine. Ive ran the motor for 2 hours consuming about 2 gallons of charcoal.

By the way thanks for the more than nice words about my build😃

2 Likes

I hope that you will keep us updated and maybe a few more photo’s of how its looking after more hours of run time .
Your 13 HP engine has it got a generator attached to it or are you just running it with no load ?
I’m not sure how you think your grate is part of the problem when from what i understand your problem is just excess water /condensation , as the water is turned to steam in your hot nozzle pipe and gets sucked over the hot coals and mixed with the carbon monoxide making that extra boosting hydrogen , if i were you before changing anything i would start with adjusting your water drip , start with a little less than what you have it on now and run with clean dry system , then test filter and downstream if its better then do the same again lower the amount of water again , till you get to a compromise where the engine is getting the benefit without everything else getting soaking wet , i will be amazed if the nozzle with survive though unless you copy how Matt has done his maybe .
We are slowly coming out of our summer and cannot wait to get mine fired up and doing some work rather than sat there looking old and rusty out in the garden .
Dave

5 Likes

Same but opposite here Dave. We are slowing coming out of our winter and I cannot wait to get working on mine again.

2 Likes

Brian, im using my engine to power our charcoal sorter, its an old potatoe sorter that ive modified.
i´ll try the gasifier with less waterdrip before i make any more changes.
i tried to use another version of the nozzle with the nozzle pointing downwards but the tip just melted off :slight_smile:

we got what we call springwinter here. Theres still snow left but it gets warm during the day and quite cold at night. Days +2 C and nights at -10 C

Jörgen

2 Likes

I know how you feel. I am watching the snow melt too. The melt started a few weeks ago, false spring we call it… Now the sun is warmer and days are noticeably getting longer every day… Come on summer we have work to do!!!

2 Likes

Wallace!
Actually I think Springwinter is the best part of the winter. Perfect time of the year to go icefishing or go on a trip with the snowmobile. I wish I could convert a snowmobile to chargas! I hope in the future.
/Jörgen

2 Likes

This was a bad year for ice fishing in eastern Canada. Too warm to start them not enough ice for a long time. At this point there is not enough reliable snow to cover the ground and let you ride to a lake.

You probably could do a conversion to woodgas Snowmachine… ( Phazer or Exciter would be a good thing to start with )
Do you have access to an oil inject Yamaha from the 80s?

I have some ideas worth trying.
Failing that can you find an Elan Ski-do?
I can walk you through a big block Honda build that will pull the little Elan a long and DOW.

3 Likes

I have a enticer 340 long track sitting that needs a carb…

2 Likes

That’s good because you don’t need the carb. OIl injection is independent of the fuel system. Just be sure to keep the injection pump linkage tied to same as your improvised gas mixer carb and Bob’s your uncle…

3 Likes

Oil injection works great on this sled, same on my arcticat sleds of the same vintage…what purpose do I need a 700cc 2 stroke that spins 14000 ripems that could be stationary or mobile …has anyone gassified a go-kart yet?

1 Like

Sounds like an AVE subscriber HA HA…

On a related note.
The hydraulic press channel has done some testing on the strength of wood in the north lands. I speak Fin-glish so I can interpret if required.

NOW…
Look at the water squeezed from that green wood.

5 Likes

Smart like a fox! Huh, huh?

3 Likes

I was a little confused. i thought finnish was pronounced the same way it was spelled, and the way he was pronouncing the tree names, isn’t how I would pronounce them using that rule… :stuck_out_tongue:

There was a ton of water that came pouring out. It is a good video to show to people who like to burn non-seasoned/dried firewood. It is all the water you have to spend energy on to evaporate before your wood burns.

4 Likes