Charcoal powered van

I love that cooler !!

Very good Chris, look in youtube how to convert tow gaz (hd)

erreur: how to convert to wood gaz (hd)

Hello Steve,
Is that stove a design of yours?
If so would you share some details of it?
Thanks, Terry

What kind of flexible ducting are you using to bring the gas down from your unit to the van?

Hi Arvid O, not sure the exact name of brand, but it’s a sturdy industrial type 4 inch flex hose, I think it was around a hundred bucks for ten feet.
Ray M, This is a different project, to test “charcoal power”. The photos that I had posted on Pepegasification yahoo group last year are from another project I am currently involved in.

Here is a pic that shows the air heater/Pederic improvement, and exhaust input, Justin gets much higher mileage with the improvements along with lower heat losses. NO GLOWING, the system is running strong!

We went on a ride the other night left at 9:00 and returned and 4:30, long drive, was a lot of fun, added a pic of our return.

Cris, When do you sleep ?? Mike L

Hi Mike, We have been busy down here! No time for sleep lately! Maybe this winter I can just hibernate or something : )

Hi Chris, you just made featured project of the month! Can you give us an update on the van?

Hi Guys, Thanks for the honor of making the main page of Driveonwood.com!
We have been busy here, making charcoal fuel today. We are getting ready for Justin’s trip to Maryland. A lot of Charcoal will be needed for this trip!

We Used wood from land I have along the Missouri river. No timber shortage around here!

Hello,
Did you have air holes in the barrels or just use the heat from the outside logs to turn the wood into charcoal?
What is the typical turn down of a barrel of wood for you?
Do you get 1/2 a barrel of charcoal to a barrel of wood?
How are you screening it or are you screening it?

That is a nice trailer and impressive that the van can haul it.

Thanks for the update,

meschke

Hi AnthonyM, Thanks for the comment

We distill the gases out the top and keep flame out of the inside of the barrel. It can vary how much is charcoal is made, normally it only cooks down 25% or so. We use it all, not choosey a bit.

We installed metal piping for Justins long Journey!

We added a large bubbler, filled with Veggie oil for extra soot filtration.You can hear it work. If you get close to it while its running, It sounds like a, well…

We took one more trip small trip to Columbia MO in the van before sending Justin on his way to Maryland US, He is going to work at a Renaissance Fair up there for the end of Summer. Nothing but camping, dressing like a pirate and yelling at kids to shoot crossbows. A great job, sounds like a fun time!

JustinA and his buddy ChrisT packed up all their gear in the trailer/van and headed out today. They took literally tons of stuff with them, practically his entire apartment.

I am amazed how powerful gasification is! After fine tuning his system, he cruses 70 mph on the flats and 60 plus up hills with ease. I cant tell hardly if any, difference between gasoline. His rig is heavy, Runs Smooth and strong!

This setup was designed for highway hauling.
He called me outside of St Louis tonight and said they were having a blast and going strong. Whew! Good luck Justin,

ChrisS BBB

Hey ChrisMO
Good detailing and pictures. You will have to look into ChrisKY’s centrifugal oil cleaner to clean his bubbler oil. I also put up linked info to James Hookway’s charcoal making retort in Gary’s Charcoal corner. I think it would be portable and Urban capable.
Most of Maryland ain’t like Missouri. Especially the people, their laws and attitudes.
Regards; Steve Unruh

That’s great news Chris!!!
Glad it is running strong keep it going !!!
Sean

Chris,

This project is really fantastic. I can’t believe the scale and power of this thing. You changed the air input to something like the pederick plate. Is it possible you could give more details? Again awesome project. I wish your buddy many happy miles on the road with this.
John