Charcoal powered van

Chris Seymour,

Could you please describe or post a drawing of your version of the Pederick Plate? I can’t get a good handle on how it works from the Cash and Cash book.

Thanks, Tony

i like the oil bubbler idea, did you put it in last right before it heads forward to the engine? what are your experiences with it? does it get nasty quick and need to change? what is the oil capacity? did you diffuse the down stem to smaller holes? or just put in a large pipe to bubble?

thanks

SteveU, Making charcoal in Missouri last summer was tough too!

The severe drought prompted the arrival of firefighters who, unfortunately had to extinguish our fun for the day. A burn ban just took affect a few days earlier.

The firemen loved the gasifier, they picked up the concept quick,I figure it makes sense they would find it pretty awesome!

I let them know they can learn more at driveonwood.com!

Justin and crew were not deterred, We drove further away from the city and finished making his fuel. These guys know what real work is!

It was a lot of fun making charcoal. Justin has gone and driven back from Maryland since then, He stopped through Kansas City a few weeks ago and stayed in in town a couple of days before heading to South Texas. He is still down there, (avoiding all this Midwest cold)! He is very happy with his gas producer and takes very good care of it.

Happy Holidays, BBB ChrisS (MO)

Happy Holidays Chris and others. We are buried in snow here. I can finally get some paperwork done and maybe even make new pipes for my truck’s gasifier connections and get rid of all the old aluminum in the system. I suppose by the time I get that done the truck will be rotten and I’ll have to start all over. Doesn’t get any better than that. I love to build. Truck bed is filled to the brim right now with that white crap and it will be too cold for a few days to mess with it. Fortunately there was little frost in the ground so all this snow will eventually soak in … Mike

Hey Chris, I have a question too about the size of Justin’s finished charcoal and about how you turn those good sized logs into usable fuel. Over on Gary Gilmore’s Yahoo site we talk about grinding and screening to a max / min 3/4 / 1/8 inch size. I just re read every post on this thread hoping this was answered somewhere but didn’t find anything. Does the size and scale of your setup allow larger size charcoal chunks? Do you guys just boot stomp on a tarp to break the coal up and then pack it up with dust and all out in the boonies or do you have a more sophisticated method?
Don M

Hey ChrisMO
Very nice new avatar picture you are now using. Is this one of your large Elite 600 series?
Also a very good historic picture collage video you have now on your site:
http://www.superiorwoodfuels.com/history.html
When I’m feeling the gasification blues I load this one up and loop replay it to be cheeered up by the music you overlayed there. That; and all the women of gasification pictures.
Regards Steve Unruh

Hey Steve, I’ve been laying kind of low here but when I saw these pictures you posted I just could not take it and have to put out a comment. Sure looks like a LOT of BLUE sky in the one pic. I don’t see any standing water in the picture of the dog. Finally, I see a SHADOW in the photo showing your splitting maul handle and beer bottles (and no rain on the wood). And the way you talk, you are living in a rain forest with daily monsoons where the sun only shines through thick cloud cover :slight_smile: OK, just having fun and hope you can laugh along too.
Totally agree with getting a log splitter. Got mine about 15 years ago and great investment. There can be a fine line between good physical exercise and beating you body. My tipping point happened when trying to split some very interlocking grain black cherry. Picked up a use log splitter from a local who said the engine didn’t have very many hours on it. Yeah!, guess what I replaced the next year? Aside from that, I love it. In fact, I am loving it more now that I kicked the dino juice habit and run it on charcoal. I know, it doesn’t use that much dino juice, but… Also anxious to hear about your shop electification with you new gen/welder. Have you decided to forgo the cost of hooking to the grid and make your own power? Still working on my 7kw genset and need to get some of my shop wired. Although I am hooked to the grid, I still want the ability to power my shop on charcoal “just for fun”. Take care and send some of that blue sky to PA!!!
Until later, Gary in PA

Hey GaryG of PA
Well . . . . those pictures were taken in mid “tourist season” weather late July to mid-Sept. I am not so alone and misunderstood on the D-O-W now living in the GreatWet with “NorWet” Tim Johnson, Derek Evans, Brian Ham, Doug Brown, John Ricker and a bunch other webfooters here now too. Toss in BC Bill Smith and Paul Holverson; and some of the Alaskans like Robert Jewett too. THEY all do, or will soon understand, ain’t no such thing as wood sun/air drying here for the majority of the year. Getter’ done, in and under cover or wait a whole 'nother year. Just like any annual crop.
Ha! Ha! Chris Seymore knows. He visted here twice? once in Novenmber and then in Febuary. Two weeks taotal I think and Wet’n Cloudy and he never saw the sun or the mountains unless it was flying in or out.
I really did enjoy your “Why I am doing this” post comment a lot.
Regards Steve Unruh

I am sad to inform everyone that fellow woodgasser and my best friend, Justin Adams, died in a car accident on Friday night driving back from California to Kansas City. A massive snow storm made the drive through Kansas very dangerous. He lost control and collided with a large truck.
He was not driving his van, but had taken a Jeep due to the bad weather ahead. Justin had a soft heart and a strong mind, he was always a seeker of truth, a good man.

Justin had become hooked on wood gas as much as I. He joined me at the Kansas Wood gas meet up June 2011. He got to meet MikeL and WayneK and was blown away with what he had seen. He wanted a gasifier of his own after that, he did not stop until it was built. Many good memories of Justin have passed my mind today, from childhood to present, more memories than I could count. I wished we could have had more time, and I will always miss him, he was truly a unique and adventurous person. My heart and pryers goes out to his family.

“Today is the day we leave our past behind, today we say our last goodbyes, memories in the back of my mind, held close by until the day i die”.

1 Like

It is with deep regret learning disparision your friend, our minds go to him, his family and friends

The loss of any good hearted soul, is a sad day, May peace find all of you that new him.

Chris,

Please accept our deepest regrets . Our prayers will be with Justin, his family, friends and you.

I remember Justin well from our Kansas event.

Wayne

Chris,

Very sorry to hear of your loss. Please send our condolences to his family.

Hi Chris, As our friends drop around us, it makes every minute more precious. Don’t ever let anybody waste your time. It’s all we have and when it’s gone it’s gone. You are making good use of yours. Sorry for your loss and wake up call. I just briefly got to know him. See you soon, hopefully … Mike

Chris,
I’m sorry for your loss.Losing a childhood friend is life changing.

My condolences to you Chris Seymore.
My condolenses to all left behind in Justins passing.
MikeL expressed my personal thoughts better than I ever could.

ChrisMo I am editing my always too long of previous posts on this thread so it will load faster and to better highlight Justins (and yours) work on this outstanding Just 'Gitter Done driving system. Still the only example I know of yet so far gasifing and driving one of the later Ford Modular SOHC V-8 systems.
Outstanding work guys!

Regards
SAteve Unruh

Such sad news Chris, we are sorry for your loss. We too have been there. Many people pass through our life and some stay for a very long time to influence us, and our life forever. We miss them when they are gone, but never forget the life, the love, the person.

Chris, The richness of the love for a lost friend will never diminish with time. My condolences to you and your friend’s family.