Chevrolet s10 4.3

Do any of you know if this car would be suitable for gas, have looked at cars from 1995 to 2000?

3 Likes

Great engine, cheap parts and very big market with aftermarket parts.

If you like the car then I don’t see a problem with it. :+1:

3 Likes

Yes, but I know that those who drive with gas usually recommend aluminum intake and other, is it on this car, the right injection, obd2, or whatever it is called?

1 Like

I’ve been looking for a good one for a couple years to gasify. Unfortunately the bodies are rusted out from our road salt during winter. I have been gratifying V6’s in full size Chevy truck. TomC

2 Likes

I think it comes stock with aluminium intake and tbi if it don’t there still intakes made for it.

I’m not sure how the injection system works, but there are normal hei distributors one could use, but I’m sure others know chevys fuel injectorn system better.

1 Like

Jan,

Metallic intake is preferable because a plastic one would probably not be able to handle a backfire. Also, burning a plastic intake clean is out of the question.

Mpfi is preferable because the intake enviroment is dry. Only air - no gasoline vapour. Probably makes soot stick less when running woodgas.
I would personally not vote for a tb injection. Mostly because you won’t be able to set fire to the intake.

Ignition timing can be set manually on most engines -95 and older (not all of them). However, several people on the site have had success with early obd2 engines (-96 to -98) as well.

I don’t know if the S10 4.3l is a mpfi or a tbi.

3 Likes

It did come with both mpfi and tbi.

Tbi could be used with no risk of soot if the gas is induced under the tbi in a spaceplate or smiliar.
The sbc with tbi I had did run better with a spaceplate cut from a cuttingboard (on gasoline).

In mpfi so can the injectors still get dirty from the gas?

Swaping the engine for a v8 is also common on the s10 if one want to have a bigger engine and is quite easy swap if one use the sbc gen1-2 series.

3 Likes

As far as I know dirty injectors is not an issue, tbi or mpfi.
However, setting fire to the intake soot buildup, while running the engine on gasoline, is only possible with mpfi.

2 Likes

Id just scrap the efi if I could and get an intake for a carburetor. Look up Michigan Motors they sell a cast metal intake for marine applications that will bolt right on the Vortec versions.

5 Likes

Here you go, if you want to go old school carbonated.

https://www.michiganmotorz.com/v6---43l-c-32_37_132.html

Edit: darn spellcheck. Im wanted the correct spelling for a carbonator!! lol

2 Likes

I had a 4.3 1985 s10 on wood, ran great, Not much power left for pulling much of a trailer, other than that it ran good enough for slower roads not too good for freeway,though it had a carburator. If you can find an older chevy 4 barrel intake, they will bolt up fine,though the center bolt on each side of the intake needs re drilling or ratail file, due too the angle on that one bolt was changed on the newer 4.3 chevy truck motors.i have used older intakes on the newer heads, they work, just dont take more metal away then needed on the center bolt hole on the intake.Think i will put a carb v8 in my next s10 that i have now. Should make a good trailer puller with v8.on wood. Though i wood go with a dodge dakota 92 too 96, think the -94-95&96 were the best be cause they have timeing adjustments and have port fuel injected, and are easy too do the intake burn out, a natural.The chevy intakes may have too be removed around 5000 miles too clean depending on wood used. Though the edelbrock intakes have extra veiw for scaping from the carb base i havent tryed that intake yet. Dakotas mentioned would be less hassel on intake cleaning. And the port fuel injection makes good for hybriding in a little petro for when needing a little extra power.

4 Likes

Do you drive the gas through the carburetor on the car?

1 Like

You can run either through the carb or under the carb as the book says.The positives and negitives are in the book.

3 Likes

Which book do you mean?

1 Like

The HAVE WOOD WILL TRAVEL book plans,Wayne Keith sells here at drive on wood.

2 Likes

Yup, you just use the throttle plate the same way as you would if driving on gasoline.

2 Likes

Oh what a lot of rust there is, wonder if I can make a car on this again.

7 Likes

Looks fine to me, better than a lot of trucks around here. As long as the frame is solid! Congrats! :grin:

1 Like

Congratulations Jan! What year and engine is it?

2 Likes

Well, both front fenders both drawers(under door) both cab corners one rear fender one corner behind rust damaged.
The frame is very rusty but no holes what I have seen yet, but has not been under.
1995a, 4.3, L35 and CPI.
Hope I get it together.

4 Likes