Chevrolet s10 4.3

No. I have never tried that, maybe something before the next inspection.
The Swedish gas riders say that the bubble can should keep the intake quite clean, thought to try it, but maybe have a little too small hoses, I have asked one who has a s10a, to see what he has.

4 Likes

Jan, I saw your pic - can and hose, but I don’t quite understand. Are you pulling water into the gas stream? It doesn’t make sense.
You mentioned bubbler. Does the gas stream somehow bubble through the water?

2 Likes

No, it is a can of alcohol (red), and the tube from the intake goes down about 1 "in the can and the second tube (visible a little to the left of the first) goes down to the bottom of the can, so it is the spirit vapors that follow into the intake, is apparently something that was practiced on trucks during the war.

4 Likes

Hello JanA.
Did you have measurable alcohol consumed?
S.U.

2 Likes

Okay Jan I see how it works now, you just have to have a cap on the fill opening. Let us know how this works. This could be the answer for other people with the Chevy spider injection or mpfi systems.
Bob

1 Like

It has only taken about 1 liter in 3 weeks, and I talked to the guy who has a s10a and he says about 1-2 liters a week, so I will put coarser hose.

4 Likes

Keep us posted on this Jan.
Bob

3 Likes

Now I have driven 10 days and used 3 liters of red alcohol, I see no difference in the amount of soot in the intake, this can probably be a good protection against tar on valves, but against soot it does not seem to work.

5 Likes

No guarantee, but try stitch a woollen bag for the hay. IKEA sells cheap blankets. Very loose/coarse/see through.
Even the Volvo 20 L bucket filter with the blanket lets far less soot through, compared to the Mazda 120 L barrel with only hay in it. It doesn’t seem to affect the vacuum much.
I wash out a layer of soot in the 2" plastic piping going to the filter every time I flush the rails. The 2" plastic leaving the filter stays pretty much clean.
I know, I wouldn’t belive it if someone told me. But I can see no other explanation.
Have you quit using the foam and rim?

4 Likes

Yes sheep’s wool is amazing.
A hollow; heat resisting; shingle surfaced - many porous surfaced, fiber.
Can soak up moistures 3X it’s dry weight — yet self-drains out with gravity.
It’s overlapping shingled surface grabs onto soots particles.

I think there will be no better, superior filter mat found.
50 years of trying to develop manmade fibers superior to sheep’s wool are still lacking. They can duplicate the tight kinking. They have tried fiber rod surface grooving to increase surface areas. They have even made hollow fibers. Later added porous holes. Still not the same as wools shingled surfaces. These man-made shrink and contract under heat. Then melt/burn.
Ha! Ha! Maybe, alpaca, chinchilla, coyote furs fibers?? Sheeps wool is relatively cheap and readily available. These others are rare and expensive.
Steve unruh

10 Likes

I try a little different, will try to get a wool blanket and try.
How do you clean the blanket, and how often?
Interesting with the plastic pipe, wondering if it becomes static and attracts the soot.

6 Likes

Not sure which plastic yours is but with PVC I do know that it gathers static electricity. My hair will sometimes attract to pipes if they’re too close to my head.

3 Likes

S.U.

2 Likes

So far I’ve just poured a bucket of water on top of the woollen pillow case of hay and let it drain down into the condensation tank. About every other rail flush.

4 Likes

It’s a bit strange, I rarely need to clean the radiator pipes, only if I get a stop in the cyclone, I have tested with filter F5, for ventilation system, which works quite well, but still has soot in the intake.

2 Likes

How many miles until the throttle body looks like on your pic?

2 Likes

Looks like I will need to go to my local IKEA. It’s hard finding pure wool blankets at other stores here. I wonder if military surplus blankets are too thick for this application. I know that Italian and some other NATO blankets are still 100% wool.

Either that or if I should just order some bolts of wool felt.

3 Likes

I have driven about 300-400km (190-250 miles).

2 Likes

Is most of your driving low speed? I’m curious if rpm makes a difference in how the soot travels, I’m doing 40-50mph mostly and can clog the carb in about 3-400 miles

3 Likes

I usually drive at the same speed about 40-50 mph.

4 Likes