Chevrolet s10 4.3

I have tried the vaccum tester tonight, I think it shows that there is a stop before the filter.
Or is it because I went up a several kilometers uphill?

8 Likes

Been there, done that :smile:
I try never to pull more than 30 inches.

1 Like

Same :smile: l once pulled it so hard even the rebar ring inside flatened :smile:

There are huge forces since fhe surface area is so great. And the shape is not ideal.

There is a company here that makes those kinds of rainwater vessels in many sizes and shapes. Real thick plastic and rigid design. In squere shapes too, to maximise bed space

3 Likes

I cut out some wood rings to put in side my plastic barrel to stop it from looking like yours. When you pull over 30 inches of vacuum something is going to give if it can.
Bob

4 Likes

Same here I’ve done it too. :smiley::smiley::smiley:
I build them all out of steel or stainless steel any more, don’t have to worry about it then. I pull well over 30 all the time???

6 Likes

Haha, I remember riding with you to Argos.
I will never forget the look you gave me when I accused you for torturing the gasifier :smile:

9 Likes

Got some firewood this morning, but probably can not chop it in the wood clippings, it seems to be almost dry.
@JO_Olsson can you show how you did with the tennis ball, I do not get my tight.
They did not have a vaccum meter in Leksand, recommended another company there.
It was a hose that made the barrel (filter) flat.
@TomC do you know how long the thread is on your spark plugs to s10 4.3?

4 Likes

Mine don’t seal 100% either, but it doesn’t matter. The positive pressure right after shutdown has to be relieved somewhere. If I park in public I just shut down the gasifier 30 seconds earlier.
I know Wayne uses rubber connectors to make the tennis balls seal, but I never bothered.

6 Likes

I have a very hard time starting the car on gas right away, have to drive a bit on petrol first.
What could be wrong?
Cut the wood this afternoon, works well so far, I split the coarse pieces in the wood machine first.
@JO_Olsson , do you pull the ball out only on the edge, or how do you get it to go back?

10 Likes

Ha, that chunking looks so much fun you will soon have more fuel for the truck than you can possibly do away with. I know what I’m talking about :smile:

Probably nothing wrong. If your startup vacuum blower is positioned at the rear end of the truck the woodgas valve up to the motor has to seal very well not to leak air in from up front. A couple minutes of running the blower the whole system is probably filled with air and you need to consume it before woodgas enters the motor compartment.

Yes, the cable from inside the cab pulls the tennis ball to the side. With a little hardened tar on it, it lets go easier with some leveraging action.
The spring from inside the air intake pulls the tennis ball back in place as soon as I relieve the cable tension.

6 Likes

That looks great Jan. :+1::+1::ok_hand::ok_hand: What did you use for a gear box?

3 Likes

It’s a rear axle from a Toyota I think it was.

4 Likes

Jan; I’m running AC Delco – CR43TS. From where the threads start at the electrode end to the start of the tapper that seats the plug; it is 3/8 inch.
One axle holds the cutting blade. What did you do to the other axle so that the blade will not stop when it hits the wood? TomC

2 Likes

Jan,
Do you know what kind of Toyota?
Rindert

Thanks Tom.
I ordered from Rock Auto and got 17.5mm (just over 3/8 ") and see that my spark plugs that are in the car are as long as your spark plugs.
I have welded the gears, nothing complicated at all.
Have you changed the ignition on your car?

3 Likes

I think the axle comes from a Toyota Rav 4.

3 Likes

Jan, I think I’ve watched your chunking videos at least 10 times now. Very satisfying sound and feeling.
Time to add an electrical option on that chunker, right? To save on diesel and the tractor. Like Wayne said, 5 HP should be more than enough.

3 Likes

Jan; Yes I did set my distributor up to be changed from the cab. Don’t ask me how many degrees I move it. Probably move #1 to the #6 position. (?) TomC

3 Likes

Does it make a big difference to move the ignition?

1 Like

Good morning Jan

( does it make a big difference to advance the timing )

A very simple question to be so complicated to try answer .

I have had several older motors with distributor and points that did not make a lot of difference on the advance . However on v-8 doges in the 90s it is like night and day . With no advance on my dakota I would expect to reach about 95 klh , with timing advance I can get up to around 135 klh for short distances . ( no shortage of power but don’t want to overheat the gasifier )

There are several threads on this subject but most are in the premium section . Here is one I found in the general discussion .

6 Likes