Chevrolet s10 4.3

:joy::joy::joy::joy::laughing: my car has not seen or tasted gasoline in over four years !!! :smiley:

9 Likes

I wonder if there is a method like you did to your opel to bring compression up in my Mazda. It’s easier to do with smaller engines via using a thinner copper head gasket, but for water cooled engines I am not sure.

The B2200 and B2000 heads are identical so swapping my B2000 head for a B2200 head won’t give me much benefit. I just don’t want to have to pay someone to machine my head down.

I change the motor oil about 4-5K miles .

2 Likes

I do not know about Mazda, but in all Opel, Audi, Volkswagen and Fiat engines that I have ever disassembled, I saw factory castings on the cylinder head, to which they can be polished without the danger of valves meeting pistons. Otherwise, if there are no such marks, you can simply use plasticine, which needs to be glued to the pistons, install the block head in its place (without tightening the bolts and without a gasket) and turn the camshaft several turns, while the piston should be in the upper position 
 The deformation of the plasticine on the pistons will indicate to you the height that can be cut from the head without the danger of meeting the kdapans with the pistons.

8 Likes

Thanks for the answers, see that it’s time for oil change in the engine anyway, so it is possible to suck up the oil from the gearbox through dipsticks tube, I have no plug on my box, and since it is 4 wheel driven it is a bit of a hassle to remove the pan.

2 Likes

Joni, that’s what you thought 

4 Likes

I use a siphon like this so I can measure how much I took out.

But I always make double sure my fluid is at the correct level. Warm up the fluid and then check. For my Buick and Sierra I have to check while engine is running.

3 Likes

I think that the photo on the left is the mark I was talking about.

4 Likes

Thanks Joni for the plasticine trick!

5 Likes

Hi Jan, I change my oil 3,000 to 3,500 miles use what weight they recommend. Plan old oil, no special blends.
Bob

1 Like

When we were kids and didn’t have access to good tools we used to do our main bearing clearances with plastigauge. Similar to what Joni is recommending for piston and valve clearances. I think we have gotten a ways from what Jan was looking for here, but for increasing compression ratios, especially on small block Chevy’s and the 4.3 is basically a small block with a couple cylinders sheared off, it’s cheaper to go for aftermarket heads and pistons. I’m not sure how much of an increase you will get by milling heads. I’m not sure but I think that was a process mostly carried over from flat heads.

3 Likes

Are any of you good at 4 wheel drive on s10?
My button for four-wheel drive turns black, when I press 4H, no light on 2H or 4H or 4L, if I clean and lubricate the electric plug on the Transfer Case Motor, it seems to work for a while

I put in a net on top of the grate, it seems like I get a better gas, and can switch to gas earlier than before, but will burn in the air intake when I stop, why?

1 Like

What exacty do you mean Jan? Offgas burning at gasifier entrance when you kill the engine?

1 Like

Yes, before I have time to put in the tennis ball in the air intake, a lot of gas comes out that burns, I have not seen this before.

1 Like

I have also had that happen a lot on my sistems. Nothing to worry about, means the gasifier runs hot and makes potent gas, as it shuld. When super hot gas has nowhere to go it goes trugh the air intake and starts burning when it meets the air.

Its often a practise that people first close the air intake and wait till the engine sucks the remaining gas, untill it dyes.

5 Likes

OK thanks Kristijan, has made a new shutdown, so I can close from the inside of the cab, see if it works when the tar comes.

6 Likes

Now I have lowered the temperature of the outgoing gas, it was just to buy a new temperature meter.
I had a measured probe that went further into the tube before, which meant that it probably showed the real gas temperature.
With this small measuring probe, it shows more of the temperature of the pipe itself, which is about 150-200 degrees C below the gas temperature.

2 Likes

Haha, did you learn that approach from a politician? :smile:
Yes, the temps are only relative to what we consider normal. Depends a lot on were and how it’s meassured. My heatex probe sits all the way into the tube. Still - the avarage temp went up almost 50C only by no longer being out in the open when I put the trunk lid on.

A former workmate of mine told me about his 82 year old grandma’s wedding speach to him. It was about her own experience with a proper no2 body thermometer.
She had been down in the flue and was terrified when she checked her temp and it suddenly showed only 33C (90F). She was taken to the emergency room where doctors found out there was nothing wrong with her. She had just forgotten to remove the thermometer cover :smile:

12 Likes

Well then you can wonder, how many people measure the real gas temperature, and does it really matter?
Isn’t it when something changes that matters?

6 Likes