CHP project for my small farm in Norway

I would like advice advice on the heart hourglas design for the 2L B20 engine at around 1800 rpm

I have the same Chinese chipper I bought it at the time because it had a power feed that didnā€™t need a hydraulic pump on the tractor I have since added hydraulics to my tractors. I guess I just havenā€™t run my chipper enough to find out what else is wrong with it.
As to the engines the diesel I have is amazing but it is also a Chinese knockoff of the yanmar so really it is Japiniese engineering. When I was in Taiwan the running joke with the locals was that China didnā€™t have engineers they where people who did things not designed things. I found it funny when the told me China no engineer America and Europe engineers we just build stuff. But man I will tell you I have met some of the hardest workers in my life over there in their factory.

2 Likes

Outstanding workmanship
You are well on your way

2 Likes

Looking great!

With hourglass hearth, you mean a full metalic hearth? Nowdays we usualy do ā€œash hourglassā€ hearth design becouse this way heat to metal contact is minimal. Plus, the hearth is adjustible in all directions.

First tell us whats the size/quality of fuel.

You can weld nuts in your firetube and screw in your nozzles. I wuld go with 7 8mm nozzles at a nozzle tip circle of about 17cm, nozzle to top of the restriction about 9cm, restriction 9 cm.

1 Like

Hi Roger!
Youā€™ve been collecting the right stuff. Looking great.
The material seems sturdy enough to weld with a stick. I never tried welding with a TIG or MIG but ss welding rods are relatively easy to handle.

Kristijan and I have been running the dimentions heā€™s mentioning, with good results. However we use chunks with an avarage size of 5cm. I take it you will be using chips for fuel, which will give you a lot more active surface area. You may want to narrow things down some to avoid constipation or tar.

Another thing to consider is your B20 is rated about 80hp on gasoline, but thatā€™s running 4-5000rpm. At 1800rpm power is down to maybe 20-30hp on gasoline. 50-75% of that is expected woodgas power. So youā€™re looking at a 10-15hp output (7.5-10kW).
This doesnā€™t matter much because your system will be delivering only the power itā€™s capable of at all times. Just saying what to expect.
You could easily run WOT at all times and the grid will keep your rpm at a steady 1800+rpm. Only output current and power will fluctuate some. All you need is a relay that shuts the ignition off (to prevent the engine from over reving) if grid power is lost.

1 Like

What JO sayd. However, l did burn smaller, sometimes chip size wood in my gasifier with s smaller engine so l think as far as the chips arent too small, it shupd work on your 2l engine.

Engine always WOT will allso be optimal in engine efficiancy and will alow you to set your gasifier to run on constant gas demanand. You can realy toone in your gasifier well that way.

1 Like

Hi Roger,

i did carefully watched and re watched the mentioned video.
I am really confused with what this person said and what he actual showā€™s , please do look in detail and smile :grin:

But , on the other hand, i found this wikipedia article, that might shed some more light on the issue.
Induction generator - Wikipedia.

I Clicked 10 times on the like button, great job so far

1 Like

Hi Kristijan, my plan was 5 nosles of 10mm as you can see from the pictures, I have already made the holes for the plumbing.
You would have one pipe/nosle coming from the top too?

1 Like

Hello Koen.
I just watched the guy with the Perkins/induction generator, too. I think he was using the power meter backwards, just for a demo. I agree that it was not very clear. With all the work that he put into that system, one would think that heā€™d be able to do a more convincing demonstration. At least he could have defeated the reverse shut down circuit in the power meter.
But I can see that it might have been his first opportunity to show his progress.
I wonder if the UK power grid people would be happy with that method of connecting to the grid. I know that my local power company would NOT.

Pete Stanaitis

2 Likes

Hi Jan-Ola!

I use MIG with SS thread now but TIG is so much better looking and you get less warping due to less heat applied.
The plan is to have a relay to cut of both the engine and the main contactor when certain problems occur, such at over heating, monitoring of the grid, oil pressure, amp monitoring and so on.

2 Likes

Hi Pete,

Yup, in that clip , i just donā€™t understand why he switched the engine of and then tells the motor is then producing electric powerā€¦

But, as usual, my only concern is to keep it safe and not stupid. I canā€™t find any reason why to connect to the grid, if so, without some adequate equipment.

I think the Darwin awards are there for a reasonā€¦

2 Likes

Hi Koen!

Itā€™s just a prooven simple way of producing power, many farmers here in Norway with small hydroplants use it, you can use a standard 3 phase motor and hardly any guverning is needed.
The powercompanies in Norway support this because it keep the voltage up and the transmittion loss is less.

1 Like

Roger, just outof curiosity, where are you at? IĀ“ve never been north of Trondheim, but judging from your pics you live further south. I could be wrong.

Well if you have been in Trondheim you would have been real close to me, I live just 45km south of Trondheim, outside the smal city of Orkanger.

Ha, thatĀ“s funny. In 2010 we spent the night at TrĆ„sĆ„vika camping and went through Orkanger on our way to Isle of Hitra. After going up the Trollstigen wall and down into Geiranger fjord, wife and I agreed we never need to go far sightseeing with Norway next door. You sure live in a spectacular landscape.

Hehe you are more than welcome to swing by me if you take the trip again.
The landscape here is spectacular but its not flat and easy to drive out lumber or work the land.

1 Like

Thank you. IĀ“ll keep it in mind.

I think what he is doing is a valid demonstration. He has the power (kilowatt) meter connected so that it spins forward when his engine is driving the motor/generator at 1510 rpm producing more power than he is using. and backward when his generator is acting as a motor using grid power to turn over the no longer fueled (air pumping) diesel engine. Yes, I hope he installs something to cut the engine and contactor from the grid if the mains go down!

2 Likes

Hi Mike, and @ramjet

I did review some documentation and i have to agree with some points Roger made, using it in Hydro generation and grid connected.

In the wiki link we can find the description of the technology involved , that explains how to energizing this kind of generator and when it disconnects,

So, yes to the use of induction motors as generator if equipped with the needed gizmoā€™s as the Hydro generators.

No, if they are notā€¦

This is actually a no brainer to meā€¦ If you send some power into the grid, stay safeā€¦ There are even powermeters available who just are build to to the sameā€¦ running backwards if you feed in the gridā€¦

But if we look even further, taking a look at this clip , we could do so much more with old induction motorsā€¦

5 Likes