Chunker (square baler gearbox/flywheel)

Beast !! :slight_smile:

I keep clicking on 6:52 - BANG!! You can see all the structural pieces flex a little, very valuable building insight there.

What was the cross section on those struts that bent Dustin? Looks like with a bit more “beef” you’ll be cutting anything you want.

willing to push it to the (over the) edge! Destructive testing at it’s best.

Thank you for the nice comments

the struts were 1/2 rod. I rebuilt it with 1inch rod and have very little deflection now. I will be replacing the cutter wheel soon, the propane tank is just not holding up, to much deflection. I’m going to try to find some 3/8 or 1/2 pipe that I can make into the cutter.

Picked up a sweet New Holland model 66 baler today. It is a 1954 with a 15 hp Wisconsin that was used this season and runs beautifully. It’s a real shame to cut it up but its usefulness will live on. The owner even bought new drive belts for it. It has a 40 to 1 ratio between the belt drive and the transmission so it should run about 45 rpm at 1800 rpm.
Purchased for $500.00 and should get about $150 - $200 for scrap when I’m through. I towed it home 19 miles on back roads because it wouldn’t fit on any of my trailers. Thanks for the idea, guys. This looks like a real easy retrofit.

One stop shopping!
I’ll bet that engine would sound real good on Wood.
Excellent find for sure!
TerryL

Here’s a fella did a rebuild of maybe that engine. The specs are listed at the end. Keep us posted.

I too would like to see the Wisconsin run that chunker.

Carl, thanks for the rebuild link. This engine runs well, and the owner had a routine of pickling it with marvel mystery oil. The carb is the only thing that will get a rebuild. The flywheel starter is pretty neat.

Good find Michael.

Once you get the chunker going and the motor on wood you might as well go ahead and mount a generator on it also . :slight_smile:

Hello Wayne, I was planning on a pulley to run a conveyor. My fuel storage container is a 87 chevy aluminum step van. I plan on pitching it at about 30% and facing the windshield south.That should dry the wood pretty good. Possibly running a conveyor into the side to feed the storage pile.
The engine uses 3 belts to drive the flywheel. I could swap primary drive belts to power a generator head.

recent upgrading of chunker design/parts

1 Like

Anyone that plans to build a chunkier should watch this. The main thing you need to get from it is, " there is a VERY high stress", on all components. In building one, your material thickness and location can not be “good”, you have to plan on “over kill” in the build. Well pointed out Dustin. TomC

You have made some nice improvements. And thank you for the sharing. It does give a good idea of the tremendous torque it takes to chunk wood.

Al D

Yes, thanks much Dustin. I’ll definitely be using some of that for my build.

Thanks for the vidio build,you got that job done well with limited emount of steel, that back brace might be good idea ,so it dont go bending too far.Hope it last long time.

On my chunkier, the force on the blade was bending it about 3/4 in. out of line. I didn’t know whether the plate that holds the blade was bending or the shaft or what. So I welded a “rub” plate so the blade could only flex so far. Not a good substitute for a thick back plate but it appear to have helped.TomC

Excellent video!
It will save people from a lot of trial error.
Thanks for posting it!
TerryL

Thanks for reposting this Dustin.
I like how high this is mounted. It looks easy to work with so a guy doesn’t need to bend over to feed it. Do you notice any stress on the bracing when chunking bigger wood?