Coarse Cutting Wood Chippers

I went for a larger chip but not the largest. I think the cutter I got will give me 2 1/2" chips.

Like my sawed 2&1/2" long cow patties and then split with hatchet, are you saying those chunks came from a chipper?

1 Like

That is a picture from Laimet, they sent a bunch of pictures so I could chose. The next larger size looked too big and looked like they might not flow good. I have been burning chips from the sawmill for the last 14 years in a gasifier to boil maple syrup and have an idea what I wanted. A wood powered truck is next on the list and hope to use the same chips.

1 Like

My chipper has finally arrived, now I have to find something to power it.

1 Like

Nice ! :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s a beautiful machine Mark. I can’t wait for the video of it in action. I wish I was your neighbor

1 Like

I’ll echo the request for video… I want to see it run and see what beautiful chips it makes.

1 Like

I should have a video in the next couple weeks. I burn chips making maple syrup and need to chip about 30 cords or so real quick. The wood powered truck won’t happen til spring. I would like to make my syrup deliveries with wood power. The transaction and shipping did not go as smooth as I expected. If anyone is going to purchase one let me know and I will tell you my experience without putting it on the web.

1 Like

hope it works as good as it looks. It looks like a 3-point hook-up, and PTO drive.

1 Like

Here it is:

This was the first piece of wood I put in. We continued chipping and were putting in frozen 7" yellow birch with no problem other than lifting the wood. Have to come up with a system to feed it faster.

1 Like

And I like your dryer, that will hold a lot of fuel! I have one much smaller but the same design and it drys fuel down to 10% in just a few days. I still don’t understand how a chipper can produce what appears to be sawed ends because there flat, how can a chipper make flat ends?

1 Like

It is more of a slicer than a chipper. I will get some pictures of the inside when I open it up tomorrow.

1 Like

That sure looks good. What hp is that JD?

1 Like

It is about 100hp, it is my uncle’s tractor. I think I only need to buy a 70 hp tractor for the chipper. With this one it does not seem to put much of a load on it. The bigger the chip the less power you need and I have the cutter for the largest chip it will make.

1 Like

That makes a lot of fuel quick. Appears to be good sized chunks. Is it Pine? I was thinking of a corn crib for a dryer, but much smaller. Awesome set up

1 Like

Yellow birch, hard maple and ironwood.

1 Like

Mark,
Nice chunker, Those arent sold here in the states, how did you get your hands on one? Does it have the progressive diameter helical screw? I have wanted to see one of these up close but going to Finland is too far to drive. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I contacted Laimet and got a price on it. I then emailed UPS, DHL and Sirlog which is Laimet’s shipper for a shipping quote. The only one that gave me a quote was UPS. I transferred the money to Laimet and called UPS to pick it up. Sirlog then sent a shipping quote because Laimet contacted them but their shipping price was 4X higher. UPS gave a very itemized quote and Sirlog’s was one sentence. UPS filed all the paperwork and acted as the broker. A month later it was at my door.

Yes, it has that screw.

1 Like