Cody's 2011 GMC Sierra 4.3L

Plumbing should be done by this weekend. Just need to cut out my damper and do up my air intake piping.

7 Likes

Hi Cody, you said your nozzle is into the barrel 5". On my single 2" nozzle I was 7" with firebrick hole inside a rotor. I had to insulate with ceramic wool around the nozzle because of the back blast from the nozzle air hitting the charcoal. I also put a stainless steel heat shield in. It took the heatbeating and kept that area cooler.
Great job on your first light up. You will be driving that truck down the road soon.
Bob

9 Likes

Maybe I should point the nozzle down diagonal then, it will also protrude a little bit more as well.

The drawing from the Pegasus book shows the nozzle pointing down slightly.

5 Likes

Yes that would also help for sure.
Bob

3 Likes

Looking Good cody, nice clean char gas for your truck, That is amazing power from wood sticks scrap wood too char engine grade fuel . Much easyer too build charco powered truck, once a person has a charco retort, charco makeing set up.GOOD STUFF.

7 Likes

Thanks Kevin. I’ve got a lot of scrap 2x4s and 1x6 to go through right now, partially rotted on the ends and full of nails. A friend tore out the framing for a garage door while renovating his shop so he hauled the scrap over here.

If I can just have a few dry days and nobody needing my help I’ll have a good reserve of charcoal to start piling up. Scored a bunch of plastic drums I can store the fuel in to keep mostly dry. I think if I let the charcoal absorb ambient moisture it’ll be just right moistened for this unit.

5 Likes

I pass by free skids quite ofton too, I was thinking i could use a 100 foot green house, too grow some early crops on one end ,and use the other end too dry wood out ,and storage wood. I think the double plastic is around 500 bucks, once i got the curved pole frames.I dont think they tax green houses in my area, though maybe i should check, my neybe pay’s high property tax and he dont even have a work shop,just an old 1975 single trailer and 3 100 foot green houses.

6 Likes

I caint hardly get a deal on drums around hear, they sell 15:00 too 20:00 bucks at auction at best.

4 Likes

Here’s a night time flare after checking for leaks.

I hope the 45 degree elbow will mute that glow a little.

10 Likes

Yes that is really bright flame hole. You will need to build a shield tube over it so when the flame comes out the intake it will hide the flame. As soon as you squrited water into the intake it started to make more Hydrogen. Cool it down with water drip.
Bob

4 Likes

I’m going to make a flame arrestor that will nest inside the pipe, just held in with tension so I can pull it back out for lighting or clearing the nozzle. As soon as I shut off the bilge blowers there was about a 6 inch flame streaming out of the air intake of the nozzle. If the rake angle of this truck wouldn’t mess with it I’d consider a flapper valve to let it shut closed when I shut down, but since it’s leaning with the bed slightly forward the valve would never close all the way. Oh well, At least that means the fuel will bias in front of the nozzle ever so slightly.

4 Likes

Charcoal fuel will always be used up on the side of the nozzle coming into the gasifier. I had my gasifier hopper tipped so it would feed more on the nozzle side. I do not have this problem with my double flute nozzles.
Bob

4 Likes

Cody, the content shows how a professional approaches gas production
:+1::clap:

7 Likes

Haha, Cody that’s the fastest lightup I’ve ever seen :+1:

7 Likes

I’m sure it’ll eventually take longer, that was freshly ground fuel and totally dry.

6 Likes

HI Cody, thanks for posting and sharing your design of charcoal changes, I am thinking your might steer me too a good book with full design plans for charcoal automobile unit, Did you say somthing about plans for charcoal unit in a gengas book, Or could you show a link too a good charcoal 4 cyl book charcoal design plans. hard copys books. ONE or more books with good useabe working design plans.THANKS.

2 Likes

Only ones I have read from are here in the library. Don’t know of any print copies.

Edit: the two books I’ve really done any reading from the library is Driving On Wood(pegasus) and Gengas.

3 Likes

OK Thanks Cody gess i havent checked the library in years.

Cody,
You might just be developing the simplest, practical charcoal vehicle gasifier. I’m looking forward to more test results. Keep up the good work.

4 Likes

I wish I had just used a 55 gallon drum, I think with a 55 gallon drum and the nozzle only 6 inches above the grate I would have had more hopper volume.

But I might as well use this one as the test bed. If capacity gets in my way I’ll weld on a 55 gallon diameter piece.

Also I haven’t really developed anything, other than just fleshing it out for this Forum to see.

3 Likes