Cody's 2011 GMC Sierra 4.3L

I’m also considering trying out the air dry cerakote. Would prevent acids and lyes prematurely eroding the steel and keep rain damage away on the outside.

Got this godforsaken thing out of the bed. NOW I HAVE DRAIN HOLES!

And access holes. A pox on the dingdong that put the black plastic top covers to hide the dents and dings. It was self tap screwed and double sided taped down. Whoever had this truck before me was a real jackleg fly by night kind of guy.

I’m going to see if I can fit a 2" PVC pipe in between the bed and the cab, if I can I know where my gas out is headed.

4 Likes

I wish I could find a fully sealed air cleaner body that would fit this bad boy. I’m wary of the plastic piping going from the air box to the throttle body.

I do have a fair bit of room. But it’s a clamp on style. I may try to make a plenum that route the woodgas after the air cleaner assembly, that way I don’t need to cut up the snorkel and prevent contamination getting into the vacuum tubes built in.

2 Likes

Either that, or I cut this section off and make an all in one gas mixer body to be clamped in. Looks like it’s about right for 3" thin wall.

3 Likes

Also @Norman89 I know you were curious about fly by wire, so I filmed the TB while working the pedal. To make sure it really worked I started up the truck and shut off injectors and pump.

2 Likes

So throttle body was able to function while injectors and pump were turned off?

3 Likes

Yep yep.

This makes sense considering you can start a car on flood mode by flooring it and cranking the engine over. Flood mode turns off the injectors so it doesn’t keep squirting gas. Good way to prime an oil filter.

Floor it, crank for 5 seconds then let go of the pedal, some cars it will turn the injectors back on and others you have to do another key cycle.

3 Likes

Here’s how much room I have with a bog standard 55 gallon drum sitting in the bed. I have probably 9 inches of room. I’m really glad because that will immediately go into hopper space and I won’t need to cut a big hole for it. I’ll just weld some tabs to the drum and bolt it down at the feet, and band strap it against the backboard of the bed.

Because of the location of the fuel tank I’m putting the gasifier on the Drinker’s side, filter body on Captain’s side. This will also make it a little safer for refilling since it’ll face away from the road.

2 Likes

Homeboy had carriage bolts mounted on the passenger side of the bed. Two pairs. No sign of the same on the driver side. Wonder what accessory he had in here?

I checked underneath and there’s nothing attached. Really weird. I’ve thought about getting a truck bed crane lift put in the Sierra for when I have to pick up some serious scraps.

2 Likes

Due to availability of Conduit materials I’m going to scale down my cooling rails from 3 and 2 inch to 2 and 1.5 inch tubes. Still plenty big but I can’t readily buy 3" EMT.

4 Likes

Check craigslist, OfferUp, marketplace for carport frames, people usually toss them when the tarp cover tears, that’s what I built my rails out of and got it for free

4 Likes

Check with an electrical contractor that does commercial / industrial work, might have a source. They always use new materials for big jobs, may have some removed or extra around.

1 Like

They’re redoing the conduit routing at our work, I’ve got some choice 3" scraps but nothing long enough to use as corner posts. Definitely will make good mixing bodies and cyclone filters though. Measures 3.33 inches inside diameter. It’s close enough in size for the air filter snorkel in the Sierra so I’m using that for the gas entry and air damper.

2 Likes

I can get 2" EMT all day long, maybe I should just shell out for 10 feet or so of some 3" exhaust pipe and use that for center and corner posts.

2 Likes

Okay so I have just about all the materials needed to route the gas. I’m robbing parts from the Mazda, and I have a few lengths of 2" EMT leftover as well as PVC pipe.

I’m going to cool the gas before I filter it, and share the water reservoir with the filter body. I’m going to weld my 20 gallon drum to the bottom of my 30 gallon drum because I have enough cab height to do this, will give me about 15 or so gallons of room for nasty juice. Might drill a hole thru the head of the bed and route a drain pipe with a gate valve so I can drain it cleanly.

5 Likes

Sometimes, when you least expect it, the Almighty Benevolent and Holy God will give you a break. A coworker was tossing out his collapsible gazebo frame and also needed some more of my low recoil slugs I make from Target Loads. Normally he buys me lunch even though I’ve told him I enjoy making them for free, they buy the target load birdshot and I just extract the shot and roll crimp a slug in it costs me nothing but time and a little electricity for the melting pot.

I told him to give me the scrap he was otherwise going to throw away for free.

I got 4 decent length corner posts, guesstimate of size about 3 inch on the flats. Square tube. Inside isn’t rusted out because of paint and the rain caps it had.

Also got something that I can only describe as sheet metal lattice mimic guardrails from the gazebo deal.

5 Likes

Things like this being shared Cody, gives me more faith that God is all for this DOW getting out to the peoples in any country on His wonderful earth that He Created.
Bob

8 Likes

Svedlund facsimile body, 100lb tank. Nozzle is 2" ID and made of some heavy thick steel, threaded so if I ever find a better material in this size I can replace it as well as removal for slag cleaning or repairs. Threaded in also so I can remove the hearth liner for replacement or repairs.

2" thick of ceramic wool 18" tall, still need to get some sodium silicate to paint on the wool, and then use a watery slurry of my refractory mortar, I’ve tried spreading it on at the proper water mixture and it just clumped up. Going to go for a honey-like consistency instead of the peanut butter consistency that it had. Will probably be a process of laying the Gasifier on its side and add a bit, let it dry, roll it some and add more et cetera.

Once I get the coupler welded in I’ll trim off the excess and add a partial 55 gallon drum hopper. Looking right now if I don’t add a barrel hopper I’m looking at 30 gallons. So at my charcoal density, 36lbs of charcoal above the nozzle. Not very long distance.

1 Like

I have not given up on the 4.3L sized Joni 8.0 copy, I’ve finally found my air jacket material, the old top of the 100lb propane tank. Very sturdy material and will be tall enough to fit.

3 Likes

I timed it just right. Snug on all threads with my monkey wrench and still some room to adjust left or right. But otherwise doesn’t wobble. When I finally install it I’ll glop up the threads with red lithium grease to be safe.

5 Likes