Cody's 2011 GMC Sierra 4.3L

Hi Cody, i’ve just found a video on Youtube, this guy NOBOX7 has a new video: diy refractory glue. Looks interesting, seems he just uses garden lime and water glass?
I dont know how to link to Youtube, but i thought it could be something for your gasifier build?

4 Likes

We wouldn’t like to miss any of your videos.

• kör igång klippet
  • kopiera länk. Finns under “dela”-pilen
  • klistra in “ctrl c” på ny rad i ditt inlägg på DOW
6 Likes

Also if you are on mobile and want to share,

2 Likes

Aussie Dave recommended those hexaloy tubes to me Cody. He has used the same one for years now. I bought four of them and the one I use in my first simple fire has zero visual damage. Highly recommend.

4 Likes

I have two of the 1" ID tubes, i really like them. I might buy 3 or 4 more and use them as external nozzle shrouds instead of as a nozzle liner if I go Mako with this gasifier body. Wish I had a steady way to thread them for an NPT coupler.

1 Like

The ones I have will slip into an inch and a half I.D. pipe coupler ground out a little.
I forgot to mention about the welding. When you are welding thin metal like that it’s just a milli-second between pulling back or having the metal slump and fall away. On circular things like a metal drum I use an old brake shoe to back up the weld. That way it can’t fall in before the puddle congeals. I have seen people use brass or copper as well. Old brake shoes really have no other value. Can’t say what we will do when only disc brakes exist.

3 Likes

I need the nozzles to have a smaller diameter, somewhere around 14mm or so. I’ll have to see if I can fit a 3/4" pipe inside one.

1 Like

Also when welding the thin metals use the smallest wire your welder can use. This helps by not having the wire feed push through your soft metal making a hole. To fast of wire speed can do this also.
Bob

3 Likes

I had those avenues covered. .8mm wire and it was cranked down in amps and wire speed to the very bottom.

3 Likes

keep in mind to that flux core runs hotter then solid core, it makes sheetmetal work a pita if you ask me

2 Likes

Dave pointed out that by placing your pipe inside the hexaloy tube you risk having the pipe expand from the heat and break the tube.

1 Like

Guess I’ll just use steel pipe then. They only have two sizes of hexoloy tubes and one is 10mm and the other is 25mm(1").

1 Like

Oh yes Cody, you are using a flux core welder. Can yours be converted over to gas/solid wire? That would be a big help. Flux core is just hard to weld with when it comes to very thin metals. I think a stick welder is easier with a small electrode and pre heating the metals you need to be clamped together tight no gaps. And all the above that I have mentioned. After not welding for over 40 years. I sill have not been able to get back to how I could weld in my younger years. I look at my welds and just shake my head and get to grinding. Lol. But they hold and no leaks that’s what counts in my book.
Bob

4 Likes

No it can’t be converted, no gas lines to put in or out.

I don’t really want one more ball and chain consumable requirement for welding in all honesty. I’d need to buy a tank and keep it filled up constantly. If I were to go gas I’d just go straight to TIG.

I’ve been welding for 57 years Bob and I’m no better now than when I was 25. Actually not as good. I’ve never understood it. I don’t think Eric Clapton ever got to be a much better Guitar player than he was at 25 either.

5 Likes

I would love to just get back to the welding that I did when I was 21 years of age.
Bob

3 Likes

Says the video is unavailable
Maybe the link has a typo?

I’m pretty sure mine has a balance shaft, they added them in 91 so I’m sure by 2011 all 4.3L had them.

1 Like

Looks like my coils are in the back. I do know these still use the old Distributor hole but is no longer a distributor. Never ever move out of adjustment or God Help You.

2 Likes

First thing I did when I bought this truck, towards the first oil change I had to do was I ran a course of the BG products cleaner through the engine. The regular stuff you add to the oil before an oil change not the intense system with rinse oils etc. Not a lot of crud in the oil, certainly no grit just some black black oil.

If it hadn’t had the little dent in the front bumper or the airbag light they could have sold this truck as a Certified Pre Owned. Changed the seatbelts to some Jegs mechanical belts since the OEMs were locked up. Passes Safety Inspection every year. Not bad for 10k financed at 4% interest. I think I bought it at 89,000 or 85,000 miles. Changed the transmission fluid which also was still very healthy looking but I wanted to do my fluid exchanges BY THE BOOK. It was overdue by 20k miles according to the manual. I need to do the rear differential fluid at 100k and probably replace the coolant and power steering and brake fluid while I’m at it.

2 Likes