Cody's '76 Sierra

It is at 15-20psi when it is no longer attached? The gauge might be off too.

6 Likes

No it was right before being detached

7 Likes

We are back online! The line that broke was the inside steel hose under the dash, the copper line attached to the engine was fine. I took that old line and relocated it under the dash, and the new line is attached to the engine.

I’m getting 30psi at idle on a cold start!

16 Likes

I added a bottle of AT205 Re-Seal to help get the seals to swell back up. I don’t suspect a terrible seal leak but there is oil all on the underside.

I’ll eventually take the oil pan off and replace that gasket, maybe for the next oil change.

I still need to do my speedometer gear seals for the transmission, too.

11 Likes

Going to put Matt’s arduino automixer in the truck. Waiting on everything to arrive in the mail. Since my radio in the truck is kaput and I don’t feel like redoing the entire audio system I’m going to pull it out of the dash and put the mixer in there. 3d Printing up a box to put the arduino into, hopefully I can line up a few of the mounting screws from the radio.

I also plan to use the radio’s old 12v input for the voltage stepdown converter needed for the arduino so it all works out. If I’m lucky I can use the old knob holes for the switches to shut down the system and turn on manual override.

I guess while I’m waiting for everything to arrive I’ll finally tackle the floor pans. I’ve been putting it off for way too long.

11 Likes

:+1::+1:
Did the same thing with mine. Radio was gone when we got the truck so printed a faceplate and filled the hole. Using the Real estat for mixer controls

7 Likes

I got a few old radios i may try that for my fuel pressure hibrid control. ITS allways nice to have the floor pan panels cleaned up,plates welded back up and repainted, fun job when its done anyway. i had 3 or four plated to mig into my dakota as well. make sure and ware a mask when grinding the floor panel clean up, it is easy to get a ton of dust down the longs on tight space under the dash type areas, but no big deal with good air filter, i use my rubber painting air filter some times.

3 Likes

Kevin I’m just using the space where the radio goes. I’m making a plastic box to fit the Arduino and the other wiring and guts.

3 Likes

THANKS for the reply on the arduiino type controler below this post. I still have not hooked up a fuel pump psi control YET, though i should try out this hybrid setup.

3 Likes

There are a tone of different variants out there. Including clones. You can pick one up for under $10 easily even half that if you shop around.
The nano is a good choice, has build in usb and if you get a socket like matt talks about you can then have screw terminals to connect wire to.
Just google nano arduino. A lot pop up on amazon as well.

I like using the pro mini for prototyping because they are smaller. But you need a ftdi programmer (under $15) but thats not a big deal.

There are many tutorials on YouTube as well.

4 Likes

WOULD a pwm type voltage control work ok.?

3 Likes

In regards to what exactly? Fuel pump? I havent done anything more with my fuel pump besides disable the fuel pump relay with a switch. There are others on her with first hand knowledge on the subject that could answer you better. I know some use a break controller, others have purchased a PWM controler and used that.

Short answer is yes a pwm controller will work to control your fuel pump, that being said some work better than others.

2 Likes

THANKS FOR REPLY i been out of messing with electric stuff so long, i almost forgot what a pwm was though a sturdy breaker switch is more down my electrical knowlege, THOUGH i got to try cutting the fuel back like in the DRIVE ON WOOD plan book, it seems to work though have not tried hybrid fuel yet.

2 Likes

I havent expermented with this either…yet. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

If you get the mosfet board i posted or similar, you could use one of the extra channels to experiment with. although you might want to add a control(buttons or knob), and a display… I didn’t look that closely to see if you can use two different microcontroller with that board which would simplify the programming.

2 Likes

I NOT smart about the augrio stuff- but i see a DC motor speed controler for under $10.00 on amizon- that might get me enough hybrid control, its 30 amp 7-70 volt input volts.?

4 Likes

30 amp could work. I know my 2011 pickup only uses a 20 amp fuse.

I would consider running an On Off On switch so you can bypass the PWM when running 100% gasoline.

4 Likes

SOUNDS good CODY,That would keep the heat of pwm when on full gas running ,think i give that a test run soon,THANKS

5 Likes

Thanks to my Hee Haw luck I realized way too late in the day that I’m out of solder to do my wiring.

I’ll grab some at the Harbor Freight, my cheap iron is looking haggard anyways.

If anyone is confused about the “Hee Haw luck” part, there’s a song from the show Hee Haw that has a line: “If it weren’t for bad luck I’d have no luck at all”

8 Likes

Goes back farther than Hee Haw. Albert King. 1967.

5 Likes