Converting Diesels to woodgas

This is a great opportunity to correct my mistakes, and thank you for pointing them out. I was wrong by not accounting for the way other people take in the information. What I was trying to say I guess is that no, I have not tried these, I have not experimented with this field. All i’ve seen is scholarly studies and results of them. So sorry for misinforming you, I have learned a bit already from the studies and updates on biodiesel injection methods and what dilution biodiesel poses, but at this point I cannot really add to what you are saying. I hope to study this more in the future, but right now I was just looking at the possibilities and I got too carried away, thinking I could add to this when I am not informed properly.

3 Likes

Hi Tyler
I ran a Cummings 6BT engine on wood gas and diesel for about a year, powering my sawmill , I had between a 86-90% saving on diesel. I did not have any problems with injectors in that time , I sold the generator and Gasifiers to a friend who is now running his saw mill.
I was running 9 hrs a day 5 days a week .
Later Patrick

13 Likes

Hello Patrick, it’s good to hear from you! I hope things are going well for you.

7 Likes

What Andy said .

I think of you and your family often .

5 Likes

Hi Patrick, glad to hear from you, hope all is well with you and your’s. Did you run the wood gas in the air intake, and run diesel fuel at the same time? I have a 6bt in a F-350, thought about doing the same thing.

4 Likes

Hello Mr. Patrick; How about an up date on Patrick Johnson and family. Did you leave So. Africa? What did you do with the saw mill and the Chev. truck? Are you in Australia and where? What are you doing. We have missed your knowledge and comments. TomC

4 Likes

That sounds awesome! Hats off to you from Columbus Indiana (where cummins is from)

4 Likes

Corey, Wayne will be driving near you on the way to Argos. You are going to come up, aren’t you? even for a day trip it would be worthwhile! :grin:

2 Likes

Yes, we have driven through Columbus many times . Also we have spent the night several times a few miles south in Seymour .

3 Likes

Hello Patrick, It is so good to here from you, and what all the others have said. Looking forward to the day when you get back into wood gasification again.
Bob

2 Likes

Thanks Patrick, didn’t think this page would get any further, but that is interesting. Just figured I’d get some ideas out there to be revisited if done so before, great to hear from everyone on this topic. Thanks, Tyler.

1 Like

oh yes! I am certainly planning on going and I hope to stay in the camp ground but we will see when it happens.

2 Likes

Another way to convert diesels in general is to get a means to pump the wood gas and compress it to a certain pressure, then inject it with either mechanical or electronic means to control the diesel injected vs. pressurized and cleaned up wood gas.

20-30 PSI wood gas will do well enough, but you’ll have to inject it JUST before the diesel gets injected, if you’re going mechanical, levers and the gas pedal and levers to switch the gas pedal between running just on diesel and dual fuel running to control the burnable mixtures at all speeds with ease.

Electronic controls are alright too, especially if durable, EMP proofed with redundant shielding, and done as best as possible with as few parts versus computational accuracy as possible.

THIS conversion method would allow you to operate this on high compression diesel engines, and would get the most use, the moment it created an ignitable mixture and the diesel started injecting with it, the torching effect it would do to make an even pressure rise would be something worthwhile to test!!

https://autotechreview.com/technology/new-dual-fuel-combustion-process-for-passenger-car-engines

There’s a newly made archive I did myself of what I’m talking about in the JPG image right here too.

https://archive.is/x4kP0

Y’all just imagine doing this, but at most 25 to 30 or 35 psi for the wood gas and the injection timings are played around with and preheating the diesel or biodiesel as long as it stays under 145 degree fahrenheit, would improve ignition and burn pretty clean.

That EGR recirculation effect would really come in handy in removing the NOx by massive amounts, extend the run times, and regulate the gasifiers’ temps, even if you preheated part of the intake air getting said portion of air real hot going into the gasifier.

1 Like

Hi Wes, in gasification the wood gas finished product coming out of a gasifer, is 4 main gases.

1. Carbon Monoxide
  2. Hydrogen
  3. Methane
    And one gas that is a buffering gas that does not burn.
  4. Nitrogen
    If I mix in gasoline at the engine I now have 5 gases, 4 burnable gas 1 nonburnable.
    The Nitrogen is important in keeping things from melting down in the gasifer. It is also very hard to get rid of, being it’s in the air.
    This works great on standard IC Engines that
    we can find 1990 to 95 and newer trucks and cars for now. But the older trucks and cars will some day be all gone.
    This new idea is going to have to be checked out more to see if it will actually work with Gasification for the simple people like me to use. Thanks for showing it to us.
    Bob
2 Likes

Well, it’s a fuel gas, it’s a dead mixture coming out of the gasifier, it will require a pressure regulator at the output of whatever pump that’ll compress the said wood gas after it’s gone through the gasification unit good and clean, AND this is a chat about converting diesels to wood gas in a way that’s both doable and good for the diesel engine.

These are the reasons I figured in posting this idea.

Dual Fuel Injection’s been around as a concept for YEARS, including the use of 2 direct injectors, it’s capabilities are also a reason to mention this as a conversion idea.

You’re welcome!

2 Likes

kuva
kuva
kuva

so this can run diesel and woodgas?

3 Likes

About 5 years ago i worked with the research team of a big oil company…
They wanted or did inject pure CNG / Methane as a dual fuel into a diesel engine…
They asked my opinion and calculation for efficiency…
At the end their conclusion ( also mine ) ; can be done, but nowhere efficient or able to meet emission standards…
Possible yes, feasible ? nope… to dang expensive…

apply math on any kind of idea, energy balance likewise, then try to build it…

Easiest idea: Dual fuel with just gasifier, runs great and clean…
Need power ? ad more diesel to it…

If you are able to adjust a older/ normal diesel to run dual fuel with gasifier, share your findings, i will ad some extra knowledge.

Tip: use a standard turbo charged diesel engine, but without the turbo…
Converting to sparkplug ? piece of cake
Convert to ECU ignition ? extra fuel/gasoline injection ? piece of cake…

Just understand the dynamics from any fuel to real shaft power and you’r able to build anything…

Another free fuel tip ?
Find your local car wreck scrap yard, they have tonnes of fuel mix from scrapped cars
( diesel/gasoline mix) perfect fuel for running on mixed fuel with woodgas…
Anything they can hand you for free, will reduce their "to dispose of costs"just spent a few beers and keep your lips together…

4 Likes

ok write some best example

thank you .

2 Likes

Haapio, why do you insist on converting a diesel when there are tons of virtualy free gasoline engines all around? Yes a diesel can be made to work on woodgas but l wuld not recomend something like that to a beginer.

4 Likes