Cooling rail sizing

Hi, Jim Goes!

Above the freezing point the mixture will not develope icecrystals anymore and the motor will not “condense” anything to ice either without vacuum.
The ambient air can “carry” more humidity with increasing temperature.

But the cooled gas remains 100% wet if not reheated.

The benefit diminishes with ambient temperatures rising above freezing as long as the relative humidity in ambient air is low or modest.
No sharp limits recognized. Quality and taste…
Max

1 Like

Thanks Max
All on DOW that I know of hasn’t used reheat. I do seem to remember Wayne and I think Carl having a little water in the breather housing but didn’t effect the operation any.

1 Like

The only time reheating is necessary is to make the gas go through a paper filter. 100% humid or “foggy” gas will get the paper wet. If you’re not paper filtering, it’s not really an issue.

Moisture condensing in the air breather is a symptom of hot gas ie loose char bed, taking longer to cool down and condense. Summer time this is more likely as well. Be sure there are drain screws at all the system low points.

3 Likes

Chris, Do you drain the lower lines daily if it is freezing temps or do you just wait until the temps warm up to drain the water off.
Bob

Every two or three months I will drain condensate from the gas lines under the truck. Usually no more than a few spoon fulls .

3 Likes

Freezing temps make the cooling rails more efficient, and so I hardly ever need to drain these points in winter. More of a summer thing.

Like Wayne said, only a few tablespoons come out.

2 Likes

Thanks Wayne and Chris, I am really looking forward to picking up the 92 Dakota truck in May and driving it up to the Argos Event. Getting to meet and learn from all of you is going to be a real treat. Years and years of people who are in the know on how to Gasifiy and make truck or car run on it. It doesn’t get any better than this until you are doing it on your own. Thank You All for making this possible.
Bob

1 Like

I get very little water passed the hay filter but I get quit abet in the hay filter.
some times about as much as in the back tank.

2 Likes

there has been a few posts about poor running that ended up with low pipes full of water so keep in mind if something is not acting right.

2 Likes

Has anyone ever looked into using the 1/6 (sixlet) beer kegs as cooling racks? Occasionally I can see them on craigslist for $30. Sorry if this is off topic, I wasn’t sure where to ask this.

Hello Aaron .

I have never used any beer kegs for cooling . Seems like there would be little surface area on the keg compared to lengths of pipe or tubing.

I think there would be several places on a gasifier where the kegs could be of some use .

Thanks
Wayne

1 Like